What have YOU done to your 987 today

Tony Daniel

17 minutes ago, Patt said:

Phone your local factors and get a quote seem to recall it's Sachs clutch and a Luke flywheel 

I'm sure mine was about £600, although that was a few years ago now...

I searched for the flywheel before putting the car in and couldn't find anywhere other than OPC, Design 911 etc. The garage it's in have said the same thing. It's on order now from Porsche Glasgow. Coming from Germany. Should be here in 3 days time. £1078 including VAT 🤢

Delving into the parts catalogues, the 987.1 has a 986 prefix part number flywheel, but the 987.2 has a 9G2 prefix so looking like up issued at the very least or possibly incompatible.

1 hour ago, Patt said:

I picked up the phone and it was with me the next day.  That said it was a 986 3.2 but I doubt they designed a different dual mass flywheel just for a 987.2

I looked at Eurocarparts recently for my 987.1, clutch was £250 and LUK flywheel £422 but the same flywheel doesn’t come up for the 987.2.

Having recently changed my original clutch and flywheel at 151000 miles, i can confirm that the best place to buy the flywheel is from main dealer... no cheap options on the 987.2 2.9 flywheel i'm afraid. I paid just over £1000 from Porsche including the bolts and this was with the PCGB 10% discount. Sachs sports clutch was fitted at the same time by my mechanic.... quite a few cheaper options for the 3.4S but sadly not the 2.9 model....!!!!

Note i did not go for the lightened flywheel option...... dual mass purchased and hoping it's good for another 151k.

Edited by skoosh1970

9 minutes ago, skoosh1970 said:

Having recently changed my original clutch and flywheel at 151000 miles, i can confirm that the best place to buy the flywheel is from main dealer... no cheap options on the 987.2 2.9 flywheel i'm afraid. I paid just over £1000 from Porsche including the bolts and this was with the PCGB 10% discount. Sachs sports clutch was fitted at the same time by my mechanic.... quite a few cheaper options for the 3.4S but sadly not the 2.9 model....!!!!

Note i did not go for the lightened flywheel option...... dual mass purchased and hoping it's good for another 151k.

yates1208.pdf

Edited by skoosh1970

2 hours ago, skoosh1970 said:

Thanks skoosh. It's a hell of a price to pay 🤢🤮 I'm hoping to not be spending anything on it for a while. Although running it daily you never know 

7 hours ago, Takahashi said:

is that white one the jap import that was on here a few months back>? looks great!

i saw mine at the weekend after the respray. the whole thing is now one shade of GT Silver. Amazing!!!!!!

No a UK car. 

Did 50k miles in it's first 4 years then 20k in the next 12. 

Spent about 8 years in the ownership of the chairman of Porsche Club GB 

• Like 1

Drove it to the office (20 mins stress free on a Sunday) to pick up my BoXa.net calendar which was posted two weeks ago, and I assume had arrived by now. 

Nothing :( 

I’ll send a message to key staff who receive office post before I start chasing it through the customs labyrinth. 

I was looking through the manual pack for my recently acquired 987 and found a well hidden invoice for a clutch and IMS replacement! Absolute result! I’m pretty sure the selling dealer wasn’t even aware.

To celebrate I drove to meet a mate in Ashbourne with his 996.

FC0-E3-B54-E494-45-BB-B582-22642-D5-EA27

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, funkybaj said:

I was looking through the manual pack for my recently acquired 987 and found a well hidden invoice for a clutch and IMS replacement! Absolute result! I’m pretty sure the selling dealer wasn’t even aware.

To celebrate I drove to meet a mate in Ashbourne with his 996.

FC0-E3-B54-E494-45-BB-B582-22642-D5-EA27

That is a result!! 👍👍

1 hour ago, funkybaj said:

I was looking through the manual pack for my recently acquired 987 and found a well hidden invoice for a clutch and IMS replacement! Absolute result! I’m pretty sure the selling dealer wasn’t even aware

Did the clutch include a new flywheel? Often does.

Attempted to do front and rear axle's discs and pads. Only for the fronts done though in a 5 hour period. Those pointless disc screws screwed me over big time. popped out to buy an impact driver which helped a ton, but ended up needing to drill one out still - lost so much time! Definitely needed doing though - Check out the state of these. Rears tomorrow - i've checked the screws already and they're nice and loose already.

6HqGLAgh.jpg
oG2t6lOh.jpg

9TRjftKh.jpg

Dropped the car off for 

MOT

New OE windscreen (I've lived with a repaired stone crack in my eye-line since ownership of this car and yup it could happen again within 2 mins of a new screen). The screen also has 10 years of general pitting on it which is obvious when the sun is out (so about 2 hours a year at this rate).

New roof (well the outer material or "cover" as Porsche call it) - this is being done under warranty as one of the screen elements has stopped working and that necessitates the whole roof cover being replaced in OPC land...

Left work early and took the long route to walk the dog at the beach since the sun was out.  I’ve only had the car since late August so not had a summer in it yet but I never imagined I’d be driving with the roof down as often as I have done over the winter!

The car is lowered at the front but not the rear and it’s a pain getting in the drive, would there be any benefit for someone to have done this or is it more likely they’ve just used the wrong parts?

Im also looking to get both bumpers painted and the wheels done in a darker colour, would like black but I’ve not convinced myself on that one yet.

A78635C3-24EA-43BE-A244-E3CCABAA7531

Edited by 944GS
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 944GS said:

Left work early and took the long route to walk the dog at the beach since the sun was out.  I’ve only had the car since late August so not had a summer in it yet but I never imagined I’d be driving with the roof down as often as I have done over the winter!

The car is lowered at the front but not the rear and it’s a pain getting in the drive, would there be any benefit for someone to have done this or is it more likely they’ve just used the wrong parts?

Im also looking to get both bumpers painted and the wheels done in a darker colour, would like black but I’ve not convinced myself on that one yet.

Clutch is also heavier than I’d like but my indy says there plenty life in it yet although I still think I’m going to get him to change it sooner than he recommends. 

What a fantastic photo!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 944GS said:

Clutch is also heavier than I’d like but my indy says there plenty life in it yet although I still think I’m going to get him to change it sooner than he recommends. 

I’ve got my wheels in anthracite which looks amazing against the Basalt Black, also colour coding the side vents helps too tidy up overall look of car.

5 minutes ago, Raffe said:

I’ve got my wheels in anthracite which looks amazing against the Basalt Black, also colour coding the side vents helps too tidy up overall look of car.

I had anthracite on my 944 and liked them so it’s one of the options for me.

• Like 1