What have YOU done to your 987 today

Tony Daniel

5 hours ago, phazed said:

Is it easier through the wheel arch?

BTW, car is still in perfect state...

No it’s easier on the 987 from the top the 986 is a wheel arch job, I use those flexi pipe to get the bottom pipe clip off and replace that with a jubilee clip when putting back together again

Done. put car on ramp. removed large ally plate with scoop to underside of engine, hand in from offside of engine and used cranked long pliers to remove and refit.

Whole job in about an hour...

Tried to tone down the wear on the drivers seat bolsters. Quite pleased with it. Need to see how it looks tomorrow in the daylight. I think the flash has made the before pics look worse than they actually were. In saying that though, the flash was on in the after pics also.

Before:

IMG20230124153631

IMG20230124153639

After:

IMG20230124202815

IMG20230124202822

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Del_tl1000r said:

Tried to tone down the wear on the drivers seat bolsters. Quite pleased with it. Need to see how it looks tomorrow in the daylight. I think the flash has made the before pics look worse than they actually were. In saying that though, the flash was on in the after pics also.

Before:

IMG20230124153631

IMG20230124153639

After:

IMG20230124202815

IMG20230124202822

Looks good, what did you use ?

I used ColourLock products on mine with good results.

17 minutes ago, iborguk said:

Looks good, what did you use ?

I used ColourLock products on mine with good results.

Did you put a balm on top to keep the leather supple. I've used Auto Glym balm in the past. Still got some but I think the finish is on the shiny side.

Drove it yesterday. The clutch is not working properly; pedal is lazy to come back up, and judders when it does, and accelerating hard the engine revs go round a lot faster than the rear wheels. Whether it needs a new clutch plate or leaking fluid onto the existing one, is to be confirmed later. 

• Sad 1

Moved house on Friday and the Box now sits in her own garage..  And my first.  It's quite tight as these cars aren't as small as we think. 

Gonna order some garage floor tiles after a little research and work out the best way to make the most of the space and incorporate the shelving to the max. 

Got plenty of plans and would appreciate any tips and photos of your garages... May even start a new thread. 

Si 

12 hours ago, skoosh1970 said:

Moved house on Friday and the Box now sits in her own garage..  And my first.  It's quite tight as these cars aren't as small as we think. 

Gonna order some garage floor tiles after a little research and work out the best way to make the most of the space and incorporate the shelving to the max. 

Got plenty of plans and would appreciate any tips and photos of your garages... May even start a new thread. 

Si 

Its the doors. They're quite long.
I had grand plans about being able to do some detailing in my single garage but the passenger side is hard up against the wall so I can get in and out so thats that plan scuppered.

20 hours ago, bally4563 said:

Started today ripping it apart to replace the clutch, in no rush , couple of hours tomorrow, should see it out

Box is out , as said no rush, however should you ever tackle this job, some of the bell housing bolts are a right bastard to get at, a while since I’ve done one of these, I’d forgotten about the torture !!! 

• Thanks 1

On 1/29/2023 at 3:06 PM, skoosh1970 said:

Si 

Some nice thick pile carpet attached to the wall on the drivers side makes the whole thing a lot less stressful. 
I also found the old hanging tennis ball the perfect way to judge when to stop - sometimes the simple solutions work the best

probably best to use an offcuts rather than taking it from the middle of the dining room 😁

10 hours ago, eob said:

I bought a couple of carpet tiles from B&Q for a couple of quid and siliconed them to the wall.
The pile is not very deep, but I'm not going to be throwing the door open and it stop the paint from getting scuffed up.

Surely if you own a Porsche, the minimum should be a patch of deep pile Wilton? 😜

On 1/30/2023 at 6:21 PM, bally4563 said:

Box is out , as said no rush, however should you ever tackle this job, some of the bell housing bolts are a right bastard to get at, a while since I’ve done one of these, I’d forgotten about the torture !!! 

One thing I am going to do as preventative maintenance is to replace the crank shaft sensor, because that could look like a pain of a job with everything in situ, could be a top tip? !

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JonSta said:

How many miles on your clutch?

79 k but owned with 63 k on the clock so no idea how was driven or if the clutch had been abused by poor drivers,it had only just started slipping a bit  when beasting out from a junction, even then it was only marginal, but when you know you know , it’s a job in waiting to bite your ar*e !! 

• Sad 1