What have YOU done to your 987 today

Tony Daniel

• 3 weeks later...

Finally managed to change my front ARB bushes and drop links after various struggles last week. Took me most of the day but with helpful tips from forumites and previous threads I was able to remove the drop links and free up the ARB to get at the bushes. There was alot of corrosion around the bushes themselves - just look at the state of them:

jqKsO66.jpg

No idea whether this affects performance but they've been there for 13 years afaik so a change can't be bad. Cleaned up the ' housings' as best I could with a wire brush etc This is the first real bit of mechanical work I've ever done on a car so very satisfying. :)

Been absolutely p*ssing it down here so no chance of a test drive to check out the effect on the knocking noises that prompted the changes.  

• Like 1

Had a change of mind to return my 987 back to standard, so removed:

IPD Plenium 

82mm Throttle Body

Performance air filter

Next to come off will be:

LED rear light clusters

JVC car play stereo with bose adaptor

This weekend, iron fallout clean, a little paint correction, some Poor Boys products and finished of with Jetseal

1 hour ago, Menoporsche said:

Why, you're going to sell the car?

About to start on a new project, buying a catamaran - probably more of a life change than a project, but anyway. Spent a VERY long time finding the Boxster but as we have an Audi Allroad and the wife has golf gti - I need to start watching the pennies and focusing all funds to the boat and probable mooring fees etc.

On 10/1/2019 at 1:33 PM, Hanny said:

About to start on a new project, buying a catamaran - probably more of a life change than a project, but anyway. Spent a VERY long time finding the Boxster but as we have an Audi Allroad and the wife has golf gti - I need to start watching the pennies and focusing all funds to the boat and probable mooring fees etc.

Read that as Caterham first time round and thought thats a strange move. But water based fun is a lot different

8 minutes ago, rifraf said:

Through clean followed by a ceramic wax and a double coat of Fabsil for the roof in readiness for the winter. Now enjoying watching the water beading off 😄

oh and a fantastic top down drive across the North Yorks moors this weekend (if that still counts for this thread)  - I suspect my economy dipped well below 30 🙂

On 10/1/2019 at 9:37 AM, Hanny said:

Had a change of mind to return my 987 back to standard, so removed:

IPD Plenium 

82mm Throttle Body

Performance air filter

Next to come off will be:

LED rear light clusters

JVC car play stereo with bose adaptor

This weekend, iron fallout clean, a little paint correction, some Poor Boys products and finished of with Jetseal

Wire put the engine back to standard? What were the disadvantages, I assume there must have been some.

Why put the engine back to standard? What were the disadvantages, I assume there must have been some.

Interested to know. 

left mine in the garage today due to rain.... for the first time since ownership! We have just had a garage built and this is the first use.....its nice knowing its tucked away whilst its pi**ing down. Time to start the detailing fun soon......

The house renovations have cost nearly 80k, but I now have a garage :) and the wife thinks the renovations were to modernise the home, real reason is to put the Boxster away during the winter lol. Priorities accomplished. 

Edited by EVO Chris
  • Like 2

New rear tyres.  

then home to set the pressures how they should be (31 like it says on the car not 40 like the fitter said it should be) 

I also removed, greased (as per Porsche spec) and re torqued all the bolts (the fitters used a torque wrench but who knows at what setting)

then I put the centre caps back to facing where they should be. 

Hopefuly get out tomorrow and take the shine off the new tyres   

• Like 1

On 9/4/2019 at 6:37 PM, Tony Daniel said:

There are a couple of thousand posts in the 'What have you done to your 986 today' so I thought I'd start one for 987's 😀.

IMG_20190826_183521

My car had started making the tell tale noises over rough roads of worn rear suspension arms, just to be on the safe side I ended up ordering front and rear arms. I Had the car lowered by 30mm last year with a set of Eibach springs, these had made the rear camber off due to the suspension not having enough adjustment to dial it out during alignment. This has caused a bit of uneven tyre wear on the rear on the inside edges,  so I also purchased some rear adjustable toe links. 

I've managed to fit everything today and its already for its 4 wheel alignment tomorrow.

I've just realised, I could have started this thread last year, but Porsche fitted mine as part of my warranty (at over 85,000 miles too).  :)  They had been knocking since before Reims in the March (I think) but I left them until the car was in for service (December).

On 10/11/2019 at 11:40 AM, Liberty said:

The wind blew my boot shut yesterday so I ordered new struts.Opened the boot today and noticed it only has one..Doh

I'm sure my boots have two each. :unsure: