What have YOU done to your 987 today

Tony Daniel

New Frunk and boot struts I ordered on the 22nd of Feb from Autodoc arrived today so fitted them all.

Front were 997.511.551.01 and I went for Lesjofors ones. 

The rear one is 987.512.551.01 appears unbranded.

They are much stronger so no more headaches!

2 hours ago, Buzzlt said:

New Frunk and boot struts I ordered on the 22nd of Feb from Autodoc arrived today so fitted them all.

Front were 997.511.551.01 and I went for Lesjofors ones. 

The rear one is 987.512.551.01 appears unbranded.

They are much stronger so no more headaches!

One of the few easy and cheap jobs on a Boxster.

Not done anything today, but since owning the boxster (6 mths) I've done a few small jobs.

Gave it a full service when I got it, new battery, new spark plugs (part of a full service IMHO), replaced hood elastic, replaced headlight bulbs and patched a hole in the exhaust (new exhaust planned).

I also decided to put it in for the mot early (due end of may) so I could get any problems sorted before summer. Thankfully it passed with 2 advisory's, new tyres all round need (already aware of this) and track rod ends need replacing.

That's my story so far.

Not all technically today, but a busy week hopefully finishing with 'works' to have next weekend onwards to just enjoy driving more than what the wife would say is 'tinkering'.

- MOT passed, though advisory for cracking on the ageing tyres

- 4 new Michelin PilotSport 4S fitted - managed to do about 100 miles for bedding them in a little, so should be all good to properly put through their paces with the next shopping run next weekend

- Managed to replace the PCM 3 (with Bose) head unit yesterday & finish setting up today. All in all pleased with the update but want more time to be able to go out and enjoy it now.

PS - not needed any local servicing done yet and without travelling to far Northway Porsche looked like my best bet, but have had a local recommendation from my tyre fitter to use Paul Stevens (Purely9), based in Yateley - has anyone on here also used to be able to provide advice?

On 3/6/2021 at 6:44 PM, iborguk said:

Refurbed my wheel nuts

51009002503_04c09317b0_b.jpg

Got to do mine again when the weather is better.

How have you managed to refit them without marking them?

When I spray mine & refit them, I always end up chipping the edges etc, that’s with using a proper plastic lined socket too.

2 hours ago, Babaa said:

Not all technically today, but a busy week hopefully finishing with 'works' to have next weekend onwards to just enjoy driving more than what the wife would say is 'tinkering'.

- MOT passed, though advisory for cracking on the ageing tyres

- 4 new Michelin PilotSport 4S fitted - managed to do about 100 miles for bedding them in a little, so should be all good to properly put through their paces with the next shopping run next weekend

- Managed to replace the PCM 3 (with Bose) head unit yesterday & finish setting up today. All in all pleased with the update but want more time to be able to go out and enjoy it now.

PS - not needed any local servicing done yet and without travelling to far Northway Porsche looked like my best bet, but have had a local recommendation from my tyre fitter to use Paul Stevens (Purely9), based in Yateley - has anyone on here also used to be able to provide advice?

I live a bit further south but work in Farnham. See you round maybe.

I’m from Bisley and an engineer myself but use Eporshe for all the bits I can’t do. They really know there stuff and are very reasonable and pre Covid dare I say quick.

They also sell the spares via Spyder Performance so I guess have a few on hand.

Enjoy the drive.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Boxstercol said:

When I spray mine & refit them, I always end up chipping the edges etc, that’s with using a proper plastic lined socket too.

I have a spare set from an older car so I can leave the painted ones off the car for a bit (normally a couple of days) to let the paint harden properly.

I hand tighten the bolts using a plastic sleeved socket and then use a torque wrench to gently torque them up.

Edited by iborguk

12 hours ago, Buzzlt said:

I live a bit further south but work in Farnham. See you round maybe.

I’m from Bisley and an engineer myself but use Eporshe for all the bits I can’t do. They really know there stuff and are very reasonable and pre Covid dare I say quick.

They also sell the spares via Spyder Performance so I guess have a few on hand.

Enjoy the drive.

Yep, hope things get back to normal a bit more and would be good to catch up at a meet - although sounds like Blackbushe might no longer be in the running as a local spot.

That is 2 people saying Eporsche are meant to be good so will see when it comes to the time for my first service / work, whether I go for those or try Purely9 as a new option & will let people know how I get on.

12 hours ago, Boxstercol said:

Is the plastic lining not on the outside of the socket though? 

46 minutes ago, The Caped Crusader said:

Is the plastic lining not on the outside of the socket though? 

I have a Sealey one which has an interior and exterior plastic liner (to protect wheel bolts and wheels respectively)

Prepped for sale :(

Sewn new elastic into the roof guides, so that all works perfectly again now. 

Gave the hood a thorough clean today with Renovo cleaner, and gave it a wash and spruce up for its sale pictures.

Gonna miss this car 😔

mqOzHPF.jpeg

A25hjYX.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Jaykay495 said:

Prepped for sale :(

Sewn new elastic into the roof guides, so that all works perfectly again now. 

Gave the hood a thorough clean today with Renovo cleaner, and gave it a wash and spruce up for its sale pictures.

Gonna miss this car 😔

Very smart! GLWTS - what are you getting instead?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Camels said:

Very smart! GLWTS - what are you getting instead?

Thanks, its a good one!

Boxster and a Jag S-Type R are going. Some dull estate likely to be incoming...we’re getting a dog soon and (apparently) its about time i grew up a bit 😇

Have loved my three years with the Boxster. They are such an under-rated car.

I shall return to another Boxster or maybe a Cayman at some point 👍

10 hours ago, iborguk said:

I have a Sealey one which has an interior and exterior plastic liner (to protect wheel bolts and wheels respectively)

This is what I need, don’t suppose you have a link for it please?

23 minutes ago, Jaykay495 said:

Thanks, its a good one!

Boxster and a Jag S-Type R are going. Some dull estate likely to be incoming...we’re getting a dog soon and (apparently) its about time i grew up a bit 😇

Keep the Boxster, sell the Jaaag and get a large hatchback. We’ll choose one for you, just give us the spec :) 

2 hours ago, Jaykay495 said:

Thanks, its a good one!

Consider these two points:

- We get old because we stop playing, we don't stop playing because we get old.

- Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Today, I mostly removed the drivers side front strut as the damper has spilled its guts.

Top droplink bolt is stuck in solid so I couldn’t just remove the damper, therefore I’ve removed the front mount complete with the lower arm and I’ll drive the bolt out in work tonight (really big hammer...lol)

YabEVMy.jpg
XR28OiX.jpg

12 hours ago, Roger C said:

Today, I mostly removed the drivers side front strut as the damper has spilled its guts.

Top droplink bolt is stuck in solid so I couldn’t just remove the damper, therefore I’ve removed the front mount complete with the lower arm and I’ll drive the bolt out in work tonight (really big hammer...lol)

No substitute for heat and tuning them lots to break up the internal corrosion on these droplink bolts once they are seized in place.  Just pressing out was reported by one owner as needing nearly a 5t load on a 12t press.  You'll never achieve that with a hammer...