Gearstick play solutions?

detail1

Searched on the forum and Google for a solution to the excessive movement in the gearstick. From what I gather it's down to worn bushes and the yoke/white block thing 😄

I understand there's the Function First upgraded parts in the US, has anyone found a solution here in the UK for the 987?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The selector mechanism from a 997.2 GT3 is said to do the trick as it has metal bushes. I have found numerous threads on Piston Heads and seems to get the thumbs up and us a direct replacement. I will be doing mine along with new shift cables over the winter.  Not great with IT but I think the link below will take you to some detail 👍

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=48&t=1175867

You can shim with a sliver of metal the white nylon block. @jimk04 supplied a couple of pieces with his needle bearings. The metal fore and aft bushes give a nicer tighter feeling shift. 

7 hours ago, edc said:

You can shim with a sliver of metal the white nylon block. @jimk04 supplied a couple of pieces with his needle bearings. The metal fore and aft bushes give a nicer tighter feeling shift. 

Thanks, so could you in theory buy the short shift kit off eBay and discard the shifter and just use the bushes?

No issue with the throw, just want to tighten it up a little.

Interested in this topic.

I bought a Boxster of one of the forum members a couple of weeks ago and in my opinion there is play in the gearshift.

This is something that I really would like to do and would be more than happy if someone would point me in the right direction of parts required to do the right job.

I noticed mention of a short shift kit on eBay. Is this the one? 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Short-shifter-quick-shift-gear-shift-for-PORSCHE-BOXSTER-911-996-997-986-987/123529812700?_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item1cc2f35adc:g:wdgAAOSwd0BVr1MC&enc=AQAEAAACQBPxNw%2BVj6nta7CKEs3N0qXRhZKyqEiWlItjwzwGU9yeK1kPDA%2FQOuwIkD%2BStqdQ2Tu5tNW3go7ENaos4Hq5Z3ASBISawcTD%2FCTbueKYNpZfp31iVYkZLe8EwSGt%2BlSEhgdzrcy6B5cbjUt%2BHwNc9X1bjZdd%2Fx4X1fH0UZlRRb9a1U5ysfMS%2FDXjobJRnJ1SRi3cbR%2Bhp%2BGir5Wu6s79YmzJ1Gcbyh3XSzvN%2FYGJfdoGin7jRdrO8JQhxryc2EXWy3AtJRZr0hwBHL%2BlKREWmSJO40EsI4RLc9kLuWwAUSxJqlndcGaC4cdT33DX42vM0xwRqgI5SCyh8RhbCf5tytk%2BUKLdNc2PGDJF5Dpfq05UZ2on5FMCqIvOFh1ckRfDClDToMUeu54y1PtEGSBd41YBsLIzBSRnB0kI%2BSQjBEpJyMAvJ3r9XeOxthx%2FQjQSt557uLcSk0CuYLo%2FzO3%2FwIZzr4JXdLPATGq10%2FtdaPlZELU4t9ER9GnfWv7UWtPE3e6Zy5o6JONlTRbEFUD%2FATONg2mV8gNoBPPt0SkGjic5K%2FGnMadud%2BM%2FqUJh2y2%2BDwuTw%2FvpuNtxGpmD%2FR8CLsZw3cn4ZxqpQiRmABTs8mmKJcmXzWddc6a8%2FbaQePOaf4Gzcm4yQFoVjT%2FyjE%2FmLNQL8NR%2BcvhUE0c89en5OFq5qZQZfCGPeV95aEWl0CgTGaaic0sqeNEUQYfjJxMy4o8t1sDdQQiZ8rdnTGPU5GaN4BHzey297RGDNfsRc%2FHLXA%3D%3D&checksum=123529812700f780cae3eef142c2903eaf30bcb9caa4

Do these short shift kits give real benefits? I thought I remember reading that some models have the short shift fitted or might that be someone having fitted an aftermarket kit? 

15 minutes ago, phazed said:

Interested in this topic.

I bought a Boxster of one of the forum members a couple of weeks ago and in my opinion there is play in the gearshift.

This is something that I really would like to do and would be more than happy if someone would point me in the right direction of parts required to do the right job.

I noticed mention of a short shift kit on eBay. Is this the one? 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Short-shifter-quick-shift-gear-shift-for-PORSCHE-BOXSTER-911-996-997-986-987/123529812700?_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item1cc2f35adc:g:wdgAAOSwd0BVr1MC&enc=AQAEAAACQBPxNw%2BVj6nta7CKEs3N0qXRhZKyqEiWlItjwzwGU9yeK1kPDA%2FQOuwIkD%2BStqdQ2Tu5tNW3go7ENaos4Hq5Z3ASBISawcTD%2FCTbueKYNpZfp31iVYkZLe8EwSGt%2BlSEhgdzrcy6B5cbjUt%2BHwNc9X1bjZdd%2Fx4X1fH0UZlRRb9a1U5ysfMS%2FDXjobJRnJ1SRi3cbR%2Bhp%2BGir5Wu6s79YmzJ1Gcbyh3XSzvN%2FYGJfdoGin7jRdrO8JQhxryc2EXWy3AtJRZr0hwBHL%2BlKREWmSJO40EsI4RLc9kLuWwAUSxJqlndcGaC4cdT33DX42vM0xwRqgI5SCyh8RhbCf5tytk%2BUKLdNc2PGDJF5Dpfq05UZ2on5FMCqIvOFh1ckRfDClDToMUeu54y1PtEGSBd41YBsLIzBSRnB0kI%2BSQjBEpJyMAvJ3r9XeOxthx%2FQjQSt557uLcSk0CuYLo%2FzO3%2FwIZzr4JXdLPATGq10%2FtdaPlZELU4t9ER9GnfWv7UWtPE3e6Zy5o6JONlTRbEFUD%2FATONg2mV8gNoBPPt0SkGjic5K%2FGnMadud%2BM%2FqUJh2y2%2BDwuTw%2FvpuNtxGpmD%2FR8CLsZw3cn4ZxqpQiRmABTs8mmKJcmXzWddc6a8%2FbaQePOaf4Gzcm4yQFoVjT%2FyjE%2FmLNQL8NR%2BcvhUE0c89en5OFq5qZQZfCGPeV95aEWl0CgTGaaic0sqeNEUQYfjJxMy4o8t1sDdQQiZ8rdnTGPU5GaN4BHzey297RGDNfsRc%2FHLXA%3D%3D&checksum=123529812700f780cae3eef142c2903eaf30bcb9caa4

Do these short shift kits give real benefits? I thought I remember reading that some models have the short shift fitted or might that be someone having fitted an aftermarket kit? 

I was looking at a cheaper one for the bushes alone to eliminate the forward and backward slack, then some way of doing the same for the sidewards motion. Not really interested in the shorter throw to be honest, and the GT3 alternative sounds appealing, but not very cost effective.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F322922019281

I wonder if the two products are exactly the same they certainly look it. I don't suppose there are many short shift kits around!

What is involved in correcting the play, has this been covered on here?

35 minutes ago, phazed said:

I wonder if the two products are exactly the same they certainly look it. I don't suppose there are many short shift kits around!

What is involved in correcting the play, has this been covered on here?

I think the blue chinese short shift kits are all much a muchness.

From what I understand the play is made up from 2 plastic bushes forward and backward, and the oblong type plastic yoke on the side. Just popped my gaitor off to take a look and there is clear play no doubt from where the plastic has worn over the years.

I see lots of solutions for the 986, but not much information regarding the 987, would love to hear of a cost effective "how to" fix, otherwise I may bite the bullet and go for the more expensive GT3 option.

Do you know what the cost of the GT3 option is? And what is the advantage of the GT3 option?

Do you know what the cost of the GT3 option is? And what is the advantage of the GT3 option?

A steep learning curve here for me as I've only had the car a couple of weeks and even though I can take my TVR completely apart and rebuild it with my eyes closed I really don't know much about these! 

10 hours ago, detail1 said:

I see lots of solutions for the 986, but not much information regarding the 987, would love to hear of a cost effective "how to" fix, otherwise I may bite the bullet and go for the more expensive GT3 option.

From what I've read all of the Porsche offerings will have play to some degree. 

They are all basically the same. 

If your happy with the length of the throw, then I would suggest repacking your existing shifter with some thick grease, and see what you think. 

I do this on mine every now and again even though I have eliminated 90% of the play using roller bearings/shims etc. 

The function first looks good, and I would choose this if I had the cash to spare. 

I'm sure a good hobbyist with access to a half decent 3d printer and scanner could make the white nylon block. 

When you take the shifter boot off and the shifter out you can see a lot of dust like shavings. 

• 3 weeks later...

I got Alex from 911uk to modify an eBay ssk for me. The metal rods coming out of the shifter won't be concentric, so apparently bind a bit and this gets worse over time. He turns them down to be concentric, shims the other bits and pieces and makes some custom metal bushings, he charged £150 posted which I figured it a lot cheaper than the other options out there. 

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=127355

However, my bushings seem a bit tight so I'll need to message Alex back to get this resolved, but he has many happy customers from what I understand.

I do still have a lot of play though. It's not in the shift mechanism, it's all from the back where the cables join the gearbox. I'd be keen to know more about how I can solve this if anyone can help!

• 4 weeks later...
6 hours ago, perleman said:

Lots of solutions out there on design911 Porscheshop ebay etc. I bought bushings that eliminates fore aft but side to side was very sloppy and was the same on all my 4 Porsches. Fixed it in the end by buying a manual R8 with the metal gate. 

Fitted a new gen 2 GT3 shifter in the end, not the cheapest fix but no more excessive play and feels great.

5 hours ago, detail1 said:

Fitted a new gen 2 GT3 shifter in the end, not the cheapest fix but no more excessive play and feels great.

Have you a part number and cost for this? 

I wonder if someone can check.

When my car is in first gear and you measure the play at the top of the gearstick, it has 15 mm sideways movement and 15 mm fore and aft movement. 

I assume that I have play and either the bushes need renewing or one of the short shifter kits need to be fitted. 

7 hours ago, phazed said:

I wonder if someone can check.

When my car is in first gear and you measure the play at the top of the gearstick, it has 15 mm sideways movement and 15 mm fore and aft movement. 

I assume that I have play and either the bushes need renewing or one of the short shifter kits need to be fitted. 

Sounds about normal. 

I wouldnt worry about it as long as you are happy with the length of the throw, as this will make a far bigger difference to the feel of the shift then a bit of play. 

I guess I'm used to my TVR T5 gearbox. The gearstick is pretty direct into the box which is directly under the gearstick and therefore has practically no play at all. 

I bought and fitted a short shifter from eBay and the front and rear bushes are much better and eliminated a lot out of the movement. I believe you can fit them to a standard shifter as well if you prefer to keep the same weight and throw. I remember that I had to use a sharp wood chisel to break out the original bushes which would probably be easier in this weather. I also managed to do it without removing the cables.

Worth mentioning that the gear lever can be fitted either way round presumably for left or right hand drive. I had it the wrong way to start with. I might go back to the standard lever sometime as I think it gives a smoother change and might be better for the gearbox in the long term.

Archived