Gearstick play solutions?

detail1

21 minutes ago, mark987 said:

Just as a matter of interest, how much play is considered excessive? 

I think that is probably subjective, and depends on the individual person.  Mine has got a bit of play side-to-side when in gear, maybe 5mm each way (I've not bothered to measure it). Doesn't bother me in the slightest, but it would probably annoy the hell out of some people.  The gearchange is silky smooth, and it's easy to select any gear regardless of whether the car is warm or stone cold.  I don't think the "throw" is that long either, but others feel the need to fit a short shifter.  Each to his own I guess, and it keeps things interesting around here anyway :thumbsup_still:

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/25/2019 at 12:18 AM, edc said:

You can shim with a sliver of metal the white nylon block. @jimk04 supplied a couple of pieces with his needle bearings. The metal fore and aft bushes give a nicer tighter feeling shift. 

I know this is an old post, but I assume you are referring to shimming to the side of the white plastic part on the left hand side?

On 10/25/2019 at 12:18 AM, edc said:

You can shim with a sliver of metal the white nylon block. @jimk04 supplied a couple of pieces with his needle bearings. The metal fore and aft bushes give a nicer tighter feeling shift. 

I know this is an old post, but I assume you are referring to shimming to the side of the white plastic part on the left hand side?

Yes the white oblong block. If you gently rock the gearstick left and right you can see the movement translates to this pivot.

A shim or a replacement oblong block? @jimk04 had a couple of different thickness shims in his kit but I found I didn't need them. With them in the shifter began to seize. 

3 hours ago, edc said:

A shim or a replacement oblong block? @jimk04 had a couple of different thickness shims in his kit but I found I didn't need them. With them in the shifter began to seize. 

that's what I was thinking - putting something to the left of the white block, which would close the gap - surely though it can't be that simple???

if you don't want the actual short shift kit, and want to fix the 'play' , then there seems to be 2 options, both shown below.

option 1  -  from Function First in the US and they call it the SRS (Shift Right Solution), this seems to fix play in both directions. 

eqIFqZe.png

option 2 - seems to be known as Ben's Auto Design (BAD) from France and that seems to be just for fixing the left to right 'play' - although you can also buy a full short shift kit with the machined bushes that fix play in the other direction. if you did want to address the 'play' in the other direction, then you can buy separate bushes from another supplier 

DqJpLq4.jpg

ZORL7QF.jpg

this has probably all been covered before, and I know there was someone on here that used to do some kind of kit, but I can't recall who it was 

The shim sits in the rectangular cutout in the yoke, or on the end of the square piece that slides in this. 

There will still be play where the yoke attaches to the cradle as it is loose on the plastic pin, hence the parts in the function first kit. 

8 minutes ago, PaulQ said:

The shim sits in the rectangular cutout in the yoke, or on the end of the square piece that slides in this. 

There will still be play where the yoke attaches to the cradle as it is loose on the plastic pin, hence the parts in the function first kit. 

thanks, assume you mean this - 

XTn4YBA.jpg

1 minute ago, Lennym1984 said:

Does anybody fancy seeing if we could setup a group buy on the shift right solution? I'm tempted to buy one but if we can negotiate a bulk discount... Even better

hi lenny, not a bad idea, but I'm still trying to understand what parts do what - it could be that you (or me, or whoever!!) may only need the bushes ?

9 minutes ago, jim o'hara said:

hi lenny, not a bad idea, but I'm still trying to understand what parts do what - it could be that you (or me, or whoever!!) may only need the bushes ?

If you take it out you'll see that there is play in multiple parts of the shifter. The function first solution appears to address all of these points

1 hour ago, jim o'hara said:

so what bushes did you use? & what improvement did that make to each direction?

Here's my old write up 

The link works for me when I click July 8, 2017 it takee me straight to the post. I can still see the pictures of the shifter and bushes. 

32 minutes ago, edc said:

The link works for me when I click July 8, 2017 it takee me straight to the post. I can still see the pictures of the shifter and bushes. 

sorry, don't know how I missed it first time

so, what improvement did the 2 bushes make & what improvement will the new metal side part make (called the yolk - white)?

Having had them put the millers synthetic in my gearbox this morning I would seriously say do that before you spend money on anything else. I wasn't really happy with my shifter and was considering the benauto kit. Forget it - on the way home I was slicing through gears like nobody's business. Not only did it not baulk on me once whatever gear I was selecting but somehow it seems tighter too. I'm also hoping that because it shifts so sweetly I'm putting less stress on the cables. Which of course means now I've said that one will break tomorrow.

For what it cost me - £30-odd for the oil and half an hour at my friendly local (cheap) garage it's a top fix and I haven't got to spend ages cussing at the centre console while I undo the 200ish fasteners that hold it in place.

@JonSta, this may be true in your 987, but the 9x7 shifter is a marked improvement on the 9x6 item.

Have a 997 shifter in my stash which I need to get round to installing.

2 hours ago, K.I.T.T. said:

@JonSta, this may be true in your 987, but the 9x7 shifter is a marked improvement on the 9x6 item.

Have a 997 shifter in my stash which I need to get round to installing.

To be fair to  @JonStaa 'box oil change did improve my 'box both when cold and in general use, so there is some mileage in his suggestion but shims, new bushes or a 9x7 shifter are probably a step better but more costly or at least more hassle.

Archived