What have you done to your 718 today?

Happy Days

Picked up some OE TPMS tyre valves to go with four new VW AG TPMS sensors I’ve hoovered up on eBay for £25. I’ve also bought an Autel TS408 TPMS scanner and coder.

Once the sensors arrive will verify if they really are the OE parts they look to be (they look identical including all the labelling on them). If they look a win I will share the outcome. OE TPMS sensors from an OPC are £120 a corner...

Edited by iborguk
  • Like 1

On 7/15/2022 at 11:03 PM, iborguk said:

Picked up some OE TPMS tyre valves to go with four new VW AG TPMS sensors I’ve hoovered up on eBay for £25. I’ve also bought an Autel TS408 TPMS scanner and coder.

Once the sensors arrive will verify if they really are the OE parts they look to be (they look identical including all the labelling on them). If they look a win I will share the outcome. OE TPMS sensors from an OPC are £120 a corner...

What's up with your existing sensors?

13 minutes ago, Boyo said:

What's up with your existing sensors?

Nothing yet, at 5 years in.

I wanted to learn how these things work, saw an opportunity to buy some sensors which look to be the OE part for not much money and be done for £200 including another tool in the arsenal to be able to diagnose the TPMS sensors on the "fleet", e.g. battery health. It looks like the sensors I've bought will also be a direct drop-in for my daily if I don't end up using them on the Pork.

I've also picked up some replacement OE 718 valve stem kits for not much money, couple of mine look a little gnarly.

Edited by iborguk
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, iborguk said:

Nothing yet, at 5 years in.

I wanted to learn how these things work, saw an opportunity to buy some sensors which look to be the OE part for not much money and be done for £200 including another tool in the arsenal to be able to diagnose the TPMS sensors on the "fleet", e.g. battery health. It looks like the sensors I've bought will also be a direct drop-in for my daily if I don't end up using them on the Pork.

I've also picked up some replacement OE 718 valve stem kits for not much money, couple of mine look a little gnarly.

I was hoping the originals weren't playing up so early into the cars life. Sounds like a good plan.

23 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

987.1 are 8y battery life, newer ones are longer I believe. 

I think it's also mileage as well as time variable. Some sensor variants have the smarts to "go to sleep" when the vehicle is idle after a period of time (20 - 30 min range depending on the sensor).

Edited by iborguk

Two new front tyres fitted today - Goodyear Eagles 235x35x20 to match the back pair 265x35x20.  Had some difficulty finding them as there seems to be a shortage at most normal fitters?  Anyway they all now match and replace the Pirellis which wore very quickly at the rear, only just over 11k.  The fronts now replaced at 17k.  A much quieter tyre and hopefully better mileage.

My GTS 4.0 is 2 years old today so it went into my local OPC for a minor service and brake fluid change.I shopped around OPC's within a 100 miles of home for prices and thankfully my local dealership were the cheapest. £880 for the privilege. Will be interesting to see what I decide to do when it's due its 4 year Major.