What have you done to your 981 today?

T24RES

6 minutes ago, MIkeyv60 said:

Ooh i think your correct .they should to the valve . Oh no all this time mine have been wrong or am i lucky  the locking bolt is also by the valve😳

Ha ha, nice one.  I did think I was right about the valve, but didn't want to point it out as I'm a newbie around here and didn't want to sound like a know-it-all :lol:

I hate to see locking wheel nuts, I think it must be a slight OCD thing, they always spoil the symmetry of the alloys, and just look cr@p to me.

I'll add tips if they are still completely stuck down.  Everything I used is in one of the pictures.

If you look at 7 o'clock you can see under the rim, a discarded item that I gave too much heat to with the heat gun.

I chose to add a couple of mm lip on the edges to give a more 3D effect.  It could be a bad decision... 

I used professional car vinyl that has air release - I didn't want thick Chinese vinyl.  No need for anything extra bar a wee wave of the heat gun.

Checked last night and all good, so I've done my first attempt at ceramic coating.  Can't wait to install them now.

Here's what I did:

Made a paper template of the area I wanted to cover - not easy what it's not as flat as you think.

Scanned template on photocopier and had this translated to a DIY/hobbyist cutter that the marketing manager had at home.

I walked into a car vinyl fitters and talked them into selling me a length of their stock.

I washed, clay and polished as best I could the alloys.

Wiped down with panel wipe (isoproponal) 

couple of squirts of soap water where I wanted to apply to aid positioning.

stuck vinyl in place and used a squeegee wrapped in a microfiber cloth to expel the water.

quick wave of the heat gun for the awkward edges and then fingers wrapped in the microfiber to bully the edges down. I was surprised just how durable the film is when cold you could be quite rough with it.

Finally a quick wave of the heat gun when the whole rim wash finished just to ensure all was good. It is VERY easy to over heat and not much heat is required. 

If I had a piece miss aligned or if caught an air bubble/crease I could peel up, and a wave of the gun would remove any signs of damage - then reapply. 

Hope that helps.

• Thanks 1

Thanks.

All shiny now after my attempts at coating them.  Can't wait to see them on Alice.

And see how the coating lasts too as health and weather has prevented my testing it on the rest of the car.

Patt that looks superb, week done!

I have Carrera Classics and makes me think that the spokes have a distinct colour wrap on them. A couple appear to be lifting on the tips where they meet the rims. Will have to investigate, when the rain stops!

Edited by mneil
Predictive text 🤪

7 hours ago, Withy said:

I also have one of these, on my 2nd one as where I lived in Northampton the next door 2 cats destroyed the cover - luckily the paint work wasn't effected other wise them cats would be swimming with tha fishes!!

But it is a good cover

Si

I also have done sweet FA with mine,with the weather we've had lately she's been under wraps :( 

2 minutes ago, Patt said:

I finished just as it stopped raining !

She's not settled down from the jacks, but you get the idea:

49110294782_969299648c_b.jpg

49110099731_891a7be8bc_b.jpg

Those wheels go really well Patt,well done 👍