What have you done to your 981 today?

T24RES

2 hours ago, zagamuffin said:

i use copper grease on my shaft and it keeps it moving quite nicely....

16 hours ago, Rooose said:

I apply ceramic grease to mine and move it by hand fairly regularly, 

Interesting responses chaps... 😧

4 hours ago, rowbos said:

:) 

Thanks @rowbos - any ideas what I'm doing wrong?  I'm going to Other Media dropdown, Insert Image from URL and then pasting the link that imgur gives me.

I was doing it right at one point but won't let me past any URL in there now, just turns red instead.

@Withy it's pictures like yours that has made me buy two snowfoam lances, the 2nd last year as I figured the one I bought a few year's back and didn't work out must've been down to it being cr*p.  However I'm now convinced it must be down to me.

The latest foam I've got is Autoglym, didn't want one that took off wax.  Goes on great, can have it looking like the snowed car picture you've got.  Does diddly-squat.  It's never lifted any dirt, I've tried it thin, thick, left it for 15 mins, 30 mins (re-applying so it didn't dry), etc but literally does nothing at all apart from make the drive look good for Christmas.

I haven't bothered with it on the Boxster and can barely bother with getting out for the wife's car either as I know I'll just end up washing normally anyway.

• Haha 1

What a day, had car dragged off the drive on to a low loader and taken to Norwich Porsche for mot.washed and polished yesterday only to find handbrake stuck on .Called porsche assistance only to be told car has no mot so won’t come out till Monday.Car all sorted will update tomorrow when picked up 

1 hour ago, moospeed said:

Thanks @rowbos - any ideas what I'm doing wrong?  I'm going to Other Media dropdown, Insert Image from URL and then pasting the link that imgur gives me.

I was doing it right at one point but won't let me past any URL in there now, just turns red instead.

I manually added a .jpg extension to each...

With Flickr I don't have to do this,  with Imgur I do....

On 2/22/2021 at 7:23 PM, rowbos said:

I manually added a .jpg extension to each...

With Flickr I don't have to do this,  with Imgur I do....

Cool, testing that theory with yesterday's activity.

Cleaned inside the wheels and painted those unsightly caliper bolts.  Driver's side done, passenger side tomorrow maybe.

DKA6EkZ.jpg

Px6bA8D.jpg

Yaay, that worked, cheers @rowbos👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, moospeed said:

Cool, testing that theory with yesterday's activity.

Cleaned inside the wheels and painted those unsightly caliper bolts.  Driver's side done, passenger side tomorrow maybe.

DKA6EkZ.jpg

Px6bA8D.jpg

Yaay, that worked, cheers @rowbos👍

Like that, what paint did you use on the caliper bolts? Mine look awful...

Poped over to the house today to take some measurements  - took the scenic route and top down for the 1st time this yr   - passed x2 911s who both flashed lights/waved before me,thats a 1st!!

:)

• Like 1

On 2/24/2021 at 6:08 PM, Madlil said:

Like that, what paint did you use on the caliper bolts? Mine look awful...

It was some matt black exhaust manifold paint I had kicking about for years, figured it would be fine with the heat.  Actually looks better in natural daylight.

If it wears off then I could easily paint them again through the spokes of these 20" wheels.  I don't do many miles so even if I had to re-do it once a year it'd only be a quick job to refresh them.

• Like 1

On 3/2/2021 at 7:43 PM, RickLS7 said:

What do you guys think?

Car is platinum silver and the lettering is dark grey, wanted something subtle.

DS1gMok.jpg

Looks good, was thinking of doing it to mine  (white car, so probably Black, or Red to match seat belts , haha)  Where did you get them from?   cheers alan

1 hour ago, alank said:

Looks good, was thinking of doing it to mine  (white car, so probably Black, or Red to match seat belts , haha)  Where did you get them from?   cheers alan

Bought it off here, colour on mine is 'steel grey' but there are lots of colours to choose from. 

Cost £22.50 for both sides.

Porsche Boxster Decals, Porsche 981 Graphics, Stripes, Stickers and much more with Design Stuff Online

Changed the way my CTEK charger was wired to the battery...who knew that you don't just connect it to the battery? Seems the car is clever and only needs the positive to be connected whilst the negative actually gets attached to an earth point...every day is a learning day 😄

I bought a CTEK 3600 about 10 years ago which point blank refused to charge via any of the internal cigarette sockets on the 981, thought there was an issue with the car as I never had a problem on the 986.  Turns out the later CTEK's reset themselves when the car powers down whereas my 3600 turned itself off.  Long and short is that my new MXS 5 has no problem charging via the sockets (and I got almost what I paid for the 3600 on ebay).

Replaced the awful N0 P Zero's on Skippy for Goodyear Asymetrics.  Am going to have to call the car something else now the Ackermann skip at half lock has disappeared, doesn't even do it at full lock.  Additional benefits is it's much quieter, grip in the damp and wet is in a totally different league.  When the tyres have done a few miles will see what it's like in the dry.

I liked Goodyears on the 986, just about as good as the Michelin Pilot Sports I also had but got twice the life out of the rears.  Thought I'd give them a whirl on the 981, mighty impressed so far.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

15 hours ago, RickLS7 said:

Replaced the awful N0 P Zero's on Skippy for Goodyear Asymetrics.  Am going to have to call the car something else now the Ackermann skip at half lock has disappeared, doesn't even do it at full lock.  Additional benefits is it's much quieter, grip in the damp and wet is in a totally different league.  When the tyres have done a few miles will see what it's like in the dry.

I liked Goodyears on the 986, just about as good as the Michelin Pilot Sports I also had but got twice the life out of the rears.  Thought I'd give them a whirl on the 981, mighty impressed so far.

I agree I had them on my 981 and they were MUCH quieter than the P Zeros and seemed to grip better in all conditions as well as being less "skippy".  Going to replace the P Zeros on my 718 this month with the Goodyear tyres ready for hopefully a European tour.  

• Like 1

Mine had a fair bit of tread left before the markers too.  I changed to the PS4S Michelin.

The Pirelli don't deserve to be "N" rated in my opinion. Shocking tyre once over a year old.