What have you done to your 981 today?

T24RES

8 hours ago, daz05 said:

Look forward to seeing it on screen, he's been a bit off the mark with his comments on the new GTS imho but was quite pleasant about the 981 he featured previously. I heard he was going to Glamis castle is that where you were?

Yes we were at Glamis used the Gin Bothy as our base. Good food!

Got the missus to take the car to have some nice new boots fitted. Gone for Goodyear F1 asymmetric hoping they will be both better all round and in particular quieter than the current P0's. Now I just need to get released from quarantine prison on Friday for everything to start coming together. Then we head off up to Scotland on Sunday for a partial NC500 holiday.

Made up and fitted some grilles for the front intakes.

vhg4KaZ.jpg

WaeuTQa.jpg

Found it easiest looping some lengths of string through so it was easy to manoeuvre into place behind the slats.

HMi8qd3.jpg

I was also going to try wrapping the bars black but I've not done it before

Looked OK(ish) from above, which is where most would see them....

9tRl4Pl.jpg

DhUBQq7.jpg

...but I'm not skilled enough to know how to get it wrinkle free under those tight curves at the end.  This was the worst attempt but the rest weren't much better.

lg8OcP9.jpg

Tried it four times, heating up, stretching, etc. but just don't know how to do it 🤷‍♂️  so that little job can wait until I find someone who can do it or paint it.  No mad rush as I was still a bit undecided.

This was my mock-up photoshop from before for reference.

eBYIF3v.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 7/25/2021 at 10:48 PM, moospeed said:

Made up and fitted some grilles for the front intakes.

vhg4KaZ.jpg

WaeuTQa.jpg

Found it easiest looping some lengths of string through so it was easy to manoeuvre into place behind the slats.

HMi8qd3.jpg

I was also going to try wrapping the bars black but I've not done it before

Looked OK(ish) from above, which is where most would see them....

9tRl4Pl.jpg

DhUBQq7.jpg

...but I'm not skilled enough to know how to get it wrinkle free under those tight curves at the end.  This was the worst attempt but the rest weren't much better.

lg8OcP9.jpg

Tried it four times, heating up, stretching, etc. but just don't know how to do it 🤷‍♂️  so that little job can wait until I find someone who can do it or paint it.  No mad rush as I was still a bit undecided.

This was my mock-up photoshop from before for reference.

eBYIF3v.jpg

Looking good 👍

I did exactly the same wrap on my 987 not so long ago, I have put a link below to my post about it. The shapes don’t seem too dissimilar. 

It was also my first attempt & therefore I’m no expert, but what worked for me was cutting triangles out of the sections that folded over on to the inner surface where necessary to prevent the creases & the cuts are perfectly hidden. 

I have no idea if that’s how the pro’s do it! But I’m really pleased with the result.

• Thanks 1

On 7/22/2021 at 9:09 PM, Withy said:

Went out for a wee run in the glorious sunshine with a mate and his Alfa 4C. 

Wee run

Spirited driving not the most economical! :)

51329571355_ae661ff071_b.jpg

snap,   mate has just got one... he told me they were quite rare lol

H1F0PIs.jpg

• Like 1

On 7/25/2021 at 10:48 PM, moospeed said:

eBYIF3v.jpg

I've always disliked the mouth or black section below the number plate. I think this would look much better if it was just flat with no indentation. Then it could be simply all yellow. A bit like a 2.7 987 or 986 with no centre rad.

• Like 1

Me n the wife are off tomorrow until Sunday for a little break,so gave the car a bit of a clay bar,then a machine polish :)

SUlGCIt.jpg

rNRzTN7.jpg

aIXzmAU.jpg

• Like 1

On 7/27/2021 at 12:40 AM, 2001pt said:

Looking good 👍

I did exactly the same wrap on my 987 not so long ago, I have put a link below to my post about it. The shapes don’t seem too dissimilar. 

It was also my first attempt & therefore I’m no expert, but what worked for me was cutting triangles out of the sections that folded over on to the inner surface where necessary to prevent the creases & the cuts are perfectly hidden. 

I have no idea if that’s how the pro’s do it! But I’m really pleased with the result.

Cheers, may have another go - however I have to say that when I was walking back to the car in the dark under streetlamps last night I was looking at those yellow "blades" in the grille and thought they actually looked pretty good.

I said I was undecided :lol:

On 7/28/2021 at 12:15 PM, ATM said:

I've always disliked the mouth or black section below the number plate. I think this would look much better if it was just flat with no indentation. Then it could be simply all yellow. A bit like a 2.7 987 or 986 with no centre rad.

I agree, I think it looks stupid.  Makes my teeth itch having something which looks so un-aerodynamic 😝

I'm guessing that when it gets up to speed then the trapped air there will create a pressure bubble and just create smooth airflow out from it but I don't care, I'd rather see it ducting somewhere.  With some of this grille material fitted there I think it would improve the look but possibly have an effect on this presumed pressure bubble.

10 hours ago, moospeed said:

I agree, I think it looks stupid.  Makes my teeth itch having something which looks so un-aerodynamic 😝

I'm guessing that when it gets up to speed then the trapped air there will create a pressure bubble and just create smooth airflow out from it but I don't care, I'd rather see it ducting somewhere.  With some of this grille material fitted there I think it would improve the look but possibly have an effect on this presumed pressure bubble.

Well you're over thinking it a bit compared to me. I just see a big hole where they thought about fitting a 3rd rad or something then changed their mind and left the stupid dull black bit. 

30 minutes ago, ATM said:

Well you're over thinking it a bit compared to me. I just see a big hole where they thought about fitting a 3rd rad or something then changed their mind and left the stupid dull black bit. 

That's where a Zunsport grill works for me😃

rear camera fitted today, very easy job, just trim bits to remove, and i tucked the wire under the rubber seals for now,  i think i'll spend a bit more on the camera.  lucky i had two, i tested one and worked,  fitted all the wiring and then the camera didnt come on.   managed to unscrew it and screw a new camera on it.   I dont think they will last long in heavy weather but i'll have a look around,  dont really need it as i have sensors but still like it.

XC5DD07.jpgTmxX7mI.jpg

yGLCMN0.jpg

hxO8nua.jpg

51Ze4DJ.jpg

Y1tUxgJ.jpg

csVp9tf.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
47 minutes ago, michelin said:

I hope the sale goes well, it should do 👍🏼
Which site is predicting the snow for winter please? 
👍🏼

Thanks🤞

Was reading an article on the predicted la nina this year 2021.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Bodge50 said:

Good luck with the sale - should go pretty quick 

Thanks Adrian, bought myself a replacement run about yesterday to get me through the winter; 55 plate Citroen C3 diesel😳; mot till next August, new tyres AND cruise! 😂. Cost about the same as my pair of rear PS4S this year🤗🤗🤗

• Haha 1