What have you done to your 981 today?

T24RES

Haven’t done anything to my 981 today but I got to drive my friends newly acquired Cayman GTS.

51569196026_f2b279d54a_b.jpg

He only picked it up this morning and is over the moon with it but the dealer had done a terrible job of cleaning it before sale. So after a quick drive we gave it full monty wash and now it looks much more like it 👌

51569441458_7634ed7688_b.jpg

• Like 1

It drove and sounds exactly the same as mine, which is what I hoped for as I wanted a Boxster GTS but couldn’t stretch to it. 
It is obviously more insulated so less interior noise and felt very very slightly heavier.

This has PASM PDK CHRONO SPORTS EXHAUST, so the important bits are the same as mine. It does have a lot of bells and whistles which mine doesn’t. But I had all that on the Black Edition and never used any of it.

It didn’t feel any quicker either at legal speeds but it may do when your really pushing.

A beautiful car in great condition and lovely to drive 👌

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, daz05 said:

@Lonewolfas I expected to be honest. 

Don’t get me wrong it is a lovely car and all those little trick bits Porsche do to GTS models does make them very special. Also you’ve got the prestige of owning a GTS which is nice but it comes at a premium 😎

If I’m ever in the position to buy a Boxster GTS I m sure i would equally at the moment I’m very happy where I am and also I know I’m not missing out on much 👍

• Like 1

Changed my battery today. Original is 8 years old (I keep car on CTEK when not in use) and although normally working fine, I have had 2 instances in the last couple of months where after starting from cold then stopping after a few moments, the next almost immediate start has been at a worryingly low cranking rate, then normal again. Inexplicable behaviour unless eg one cell going dodgy.  Bought Bosch S5A11 80Ah AGM battery from Tayna - amazing service, delivered next day, all up £135.38 incl delivery. 5 year guarantee. No reason not to replicate OE battery type (AGM), Ah and physical size - why make unnecessary potential difficulties?

Read lots of forum posts and watched a few videos. Simple job.  Although earlier Porsches required you to keep ignition key turned to first position to prevent alarm going off, there was no mention of what to do with 981 key so it stayed in my pocket. Connected up CTEK as advised in some posts, but a couple of minutes after I disconnected the positive terminal a rapid rhythmic clicking started up from somewhere behind the bulkhead which I didn't like the sound of, so switched off CTEK and it stopped. Bosch battery identical to original Banner being removed, no problems fitting, alarm stayed silent. Everything appears to work fine after fitting new battery, no memories appear to be lost apart from day and time setting, which was soon recovered once the car was out of the garage and a GPS signal found. Took about 30 mins going steadily. Stood in the front luggage compartment to save back when lifting out/in. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ATM said:

Did they proactively inform you of the problem and that your car was one of those affected or did you need to chase them?

Did not chase, received a letter from Porsche GB notifying me that my Boxster was affected. Then contacted OPC to book in for rectification.

5 hours ago, BrianJ said:

Changed my battery today. Original is 8 years old (I keep car on CTEK when not in use) and although normally working fine, I have had 2 instances in the last couple of months where after starting from cold then stopping after a few moments, the next almost immediate start has been at a worryingly low cranking rate, then normal again. Inexplicable behaviour unless eg one cell going dodgy.  Bought Bosch S5A11 80Ah AGM battery from Tayna - amazing service, delivered next day, all up £135.38 incl delivery. 5 year guarantee. No reason not to replicate OE battery type (AGM), Ah and physical size - why make unnecessary potential difficulties?

Read lots of forum posts and watched a few videos. Simple job.  Although earlier Porsches required you to keep ignition key turned to first position to prevent alarm going off, there was no mention of what to do with 981 key so it stayed in my pocket. Connected up CTEK as advised in some posts, but a couple of minutes after I disconnected the positive terminal a rapid rhythmic clicking started up from somewhere behind the bulkhead which I didn't like the sound of, so switched off CTEK and it stopped. Bosch battery identical to original Banner being removed, no problems fitting, alarm stayed silent. Everything appears to work fine after fitting new battery, no memories appear to be lost apart from day and time setting, which was soon recovered once the car was out of the garage and a GPS signal found. Took about 30 mins going steadily. Stood in the front luggage compartment to save back when lifting out/in. 

Yep I changed my original battery this year at the same time as it’s major service. MY 13 and always connected to Ctek when not in use. It wasn’t even showing any signs of failure I just did it as a precaution. Think the moral  here is if connected to Ctek or similar whilst not in use battery life seems good. I changed it with original only as my thinking is if this one last seven years I’m more than happy 😃👍

1 hour ago, michelin said:

Did you need to code the battery to the car or was it just a straight swap over? 👍🏼

As you might read in the link provided. I just swapped my battery over, no coding needed. Stop Start carried on working as expected (unfortunately) and no other issues. I just reset windows position and allowed the throttle position to recalibrate if it was needed. Details in the other threads.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Fitted the winters 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CVu_MuBo8uk/?utm_medium=copy_link

Will look at getting the summer set refurbished during the winter The front tyres will need to be replaced as fairly worn. Front wheel bolts had been done up by a trainee with an impact driver 😐

Jim

• Like 1

Ordered a spare switch panel of Ebay last night

This was after finding an old post by @topradiolast night about adding a switch to the centre console for a garage door opener

I would have liked homelink but I think this will work fine

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tony Daniel said:

Ordered a spare switch panel of Ebay last night

This was after finding an old post by @topradiolast night about adding a switch to the centre console for a garage door opener

I would have liked homelink but I think this will work fine

I remember that post was good. You could also try it with the overhead console as there are some button blanks up there too.

Gave the sports exhaust valves a good soaking in WD40 last night then coated the whole mechanism in copper grease today.

Trial fitted my new Zunsport outer grills and they look good, but left them off until I go to Porsche for its 111 check.

Only concern is that the top edge at the side of the parking sensors actually sits on the plastic of the bumper, so guess some insulating tape to protect the paint is called for?

• Like 1