How to check the drains on a 718.

Scubaregs

Having noticed a bit of condensation in the car over the last couple of weeks I decided as a precautionary measure to check the soft top drains. I'd already had a good feel around the carpets and there was absolutely no sign of moisture and to be fair my DD Corsa has been worse than the Porsche, but I felt it was worth doing for peace of mind.

Please bear in mind this is simply what I have done to satisfy myself that the drains were clear.

So first off all I opened the hood until it reached the point it was as far down as possible until the two side (tonneau?) flaps wanted to start to close. A wee bit of practice had them fully open at the right position.

AQUOhS1.jpg

Once opened, it is not immediately apparent where the drain holes are as they are covered by flexible tubing as shown below.

GVvoFTm.jpg

In the above pic, the drain hole is to the front of the flexible tubing on the left as you look at it. You need to reach in and "tuck" the flexible tubing out of the way to allow the drain hole to be seen, as in the next pic. This was hard to get a torch in to give light whilst taking a pic as I was on my own, however if you look to the far left you can see the maglite torch, follow the beam down and you will see the drain hole illuminated.

46ja4Gn.jpg

Now it was a case of seeing what I had it the garage I could utilise and voila;

QYWM92m.jpg

I managed to insert the end of the flexible funnel into the drain hole whilst ensuring the flexible tubing normally covering it was still pushed to one side.

Ri0uRly.jpg

Now it was simply a case of pouring a little water into the funnel to check it was not blocked and was running out underneath the car. Once I was sure there was no blockage I slowly emptied the bottle of water into the funnel, refilled the bottle and repeated. Video below.

Once you are satisfied the drains are clear it is simply a case of ensuring the flexible tubes are reinstated in their original positions and close the hood.

Edited by Scubaregs
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Artj said:

Thanks that is going to be helpful, just a couple of questions, the flexible pipe, do you have to detach it from something or is there room to push it to  one side ?

You can tuck it out of the way, just take note of the original position.

what runs inside the flexible pipe ? thanks

No idea and did not intend finding out.

1 minute ago, Stuart21UK said:

did you not poke a trombone cleaner down it?

No, it was quite a quick look as weather was closing in and I had nothing suitable to hand. 

Is something like this advisable to use? Bit wary of poking anything down the drain holes tbh.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Herco-Single-Trombone-Nylon-Brush/dp/B000K3E9KO/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=trombone+cleaner&qid=1579044076&sr=8-3

I tried to use one of these (bottom left in picture which is longer than it looks) but as you know the drain holes are hard to find and access...my issues were resolved by the Indie blowing air down the hole I think...others have used similar bladder/trombone cleaners to help clear although I'm not sure whats down the bottom end...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B075NC1FNX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

51KitJmXZqL._SL1010_.jpg

Edited by Stuart21UK

• 2 years later...

Hmmm, with all the rain we have had recently, I now have an issue. Jumped in the car to go home from work there now, seat belt wet and stinking!

Dropped the roof into the required position and the drain hole is obviously blocked as the opening can't be seen for the water. No air line and nothing to poke down into it at hand. Tried the pressure washer, but no use, still full.

Quick trip to local garage, long airline soon cleared it, but read driver's carpet wet behind the seat.

• 1 year later...
On 1/14/2020 at 11:23 PM, Scubaregs said:

No, it was quite a quick look as weather was closing in and I had nothing suitable to hand. 

A good thread and advice. 

So are these the 2 drain holes under the canvas roof? And are there 2 (or 4) more in the frunk around battery panel area?

Cheers.