Fit short shift tips

Mark Hunt

Is it the Chinese Ebay job? If so I would say fitting is easy, chopping out the old bushes feels wrong but works out fine. A pair of 90degree external circlip pliers makes fitting the big circlip around the new bush easier. Don't overtighten the adjusters at the end of the bushes, the aluminium bush looks like it is a solid billet but it isn't, if you overtighten the end will push out (well it did on mine).  Finally, consider putting roller bearings in straight away, it helps smooth things out, There was a gent on here who did them or you can get them from Ben Auto Design

3 hours ago, Boxob said:

Make sure the lever is set up for right hand drive. If not remove and turn it 180 degrees.

Good point, I don't think they ever are so it will need to be done.

6 hours ago, edc said:

Count all the change from under the centre console. 

:offtopic:

5p when I tool my console out, hardy worth the effort, but I got £1 when I took the passenger seat out to access the module under it.

15 hours ago, Boxob said:

Make sure the lever is set up for right hand drive. If not remove and turn it 180 degrees.

There is no LHD or RHD, there is only one, it fits all cars. The problem with the Chinese copies is that they have been assembled incorrectly sometimes and you need to flip the shaft over otherwise you will need to ask your passenger to change gear for you!

1 hour ago, T911UK said:

There is no LHD or RHD, there is only one, it fits all cars. The problem with the Chinese copies is that they have been assembled incorrectly sometimes and you need to flip the shaft over otherwise you will need to ask your passenger to change gear for you!

They are assembled for the left hand drive market which is massively bigger than the right hand drive market I would imagine.

39 minutes ago, Terryg said:

They are assembled for the left hand drive market which is massively bigger than the right hand drive market I would imagine.

There is no difference! There is no such thing as a LHD version or a RHD version, there is one version!

39 minutes ago, T911UK said:

There is no difference! There is no such thing as a LHD version or a RHD version, there is one version!

No one is saying there are different versions, they come set up for LH drive as @Boxob said you just turn the lever round so the bend is to the right rather than the left. You said they are incorrectly assembled, they aren't they are just built for the bigger market.

No, you are wrong, they should fit either LHD or RHD without any modifications, they are not set up for LHD or RHD. They are assembled incorrectly at the factory. This is only a problem with the cheap Chinese versions, B&M, Porsche and every other one I have seen is assembled correctly and works out of the box, plug and play.

11 minutes ago, T911UK said:

No, you are wrong, they should fit either LHD or RHD without any modifications, they are not set up for LHD or RHD. They are assembled incorrectly at the factory. This is only a problem with the cheap Chinese versions, B&M, Porsche and every other one I have seen is assembled correctly and works out of the box, plug and play.

Whilst accepting their explanation which could well be correct, it doesn't make any difference, the rod still needs to be reversed to feel comfortable on a RH drive car, no one is saying it won't work, it just feels wrong.

13 hours ago, ½cwt said:

:offtopic:

5p when I tool my console out, hardy worth the effort, but I got £1 when I took the passenger seat out to access the module under it.

£19 found here!

1 hour ago, Terryg said:

Whilst accepting their explanation which could well be correct, it doesn't make any difference, the rod still needs to be reversed to feel comfortable on a RH drive car, no one is saying it won't work, it just feels wrong.

So you are saying even if you buy the Porsche version, you still need to flip the shaft over?

23 hours ago, Terryg said:

Is it the Chinese Ebay job? If so I would say fitting is easy, chopping out the old bushes feels wrong but works out fine. A pair of 90degree external circlip pliers makes fitting the big circlip around the new bush easier. Don't overtighten the adjusters at the end of the bushes, the aluminium bush looks like it is a solid billet but it isn't, if you overtighten the end will push out (well it did on mine).  Finally, consider putting roller bearings in straight away, it helps smooth things out, There was a gent on here who did them or you can get them from Ben Auto Design

46 minutes ago, T911UK said:

So you are saying even if you buy the Porsche version, you still need to flip the shaft over?

Please see my earlier post, I made the relevant bit bold type. I have no idea about the original, if you put the Chinese one in with the bend to the left it will be away from you, if Mark is happy with that, then all is good. I am perfectly happy to except the reasoning behind the bend, the idea of the RHD / LHD could well be a common misconception but from experience mine lever did not sit up straight when installed without switching it round, so I had to take it out and switch it round. Whatever the explanation we were just trying to avoid the OP having to do what I did.

Thanks for all the info, I did have swap the lever round so it leans toward the driver, then got all the tools ready and it started to pour down with rain (normal Plymouth weather)as my garage is full of other stuff I would have to do it on the drive, so it will have to wait for another day 

15 hours ago, allatsea said:

I removed both seats to do mine, not specifically necessary, but made working on it much easier imho.

AaS

Just remember to disconnect battery (with key in posn 1....) if disconnecting seat wiring harness. Then remember to re-connect the seat wiring before the battery otherwise you get a warning light (seat-belt not fastened but seat occupied warning?) - ask me how I know.... Cleared itself after battery re-disconnected, seat re-connected and battery left off for a day or so. Every day is a school day..

Archived