Oh no!

Mark Hunt

I pulled in to the work car park this morning  in my 2.7 with 110000 miles and heard a horrible grating noise from behind me shut it down right away. Just waiting for Williams Crawford our local Porsche Indy to open and get them to recover it and give me the bad news🙁

4 hours ago, Mark Hunt said:

Had a new water pump in september

Oh...... If it is WP, you might need to pay someone a visit, 12 month warranty on new parts.

Before you start taking your engine apart, a horrible grating noise can also be commonly caused by a stone trapped in the tinny brake shield; that would only be when the car is moving though.

Had water pump failure on my 2005 987. My girlfriend in passenger seat said l think a plastic bag is caught under rear wheels this turned very quickly into the most horrible grinding noise pulled over car bleed out. New Year’s Eve ruined AA recovery. It did sound like a complete engine explosion but no a failure of water pump. Remember that engine is sitting just behind your head and ears. My world sunk BUT no just a new water pump. I always l feared the worse like you, 

cheers muddy 

Hi latest update, The Porsche Indy Williams Crawford in Saltash Cornwall couldn’t find anything wrong, after starting it and stopping it several times and test driving it for a few miles, they left it outside in the cold all night and started it first thing this morning nothing wrong 🧐So while they have it they will change the gearbox oil and mot it and I shall rob a small bank to pay for it (my wife’s)🥴

Loose exhaust clamps or heat shield.

Literally the same thing happened to me a few days ago. Started it, horrendous grinding to the point I thought the engine was going to go bang. Panicked and for some reason looked under the car. One of the exhaust clamps had rusted off and was rattling back and fourth.

It's still on there... I've not had the time to cut it off yet, and after the car's warmed up and the revs go lower it doesn't rattle.

So yeah, check your exhaust!

Hi Theo

got the car back on Friday after, gearbox oil change, engine oil and filter change to look for debris, full diagnostic check and lots of starting and stopping the engine and early morning running in the cold and test dove it with load on the engine and could find nothing wrong. I have used it every day since and have had no problems it seems to be fine, they mot’d it at the same time, it was gleaming after the wash and polish they gave it before I picked it up  The only down side was the £845 bill😟

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the update. Being realistic I guess this is good news and was possibly a stone stuck in the pads, albeit you had a rather large bill.

Good luck with future motoring, you definitely deserve it.

Theo

Glad for having read this thread, horrible grating/grinding noise from the right rear after moving off but no performance change.   parked again, backed out and heard a very slight grind and no noises at all when I moved forward again and OK since.  Must have been a stone between the brake disc and the (possibly mis named?) stone guard.  PHEW!

On 2/19/2020 at 12:55 PM, Mark Hunt said:

Hi Theo

got the car back on Friday after, gearbox oil change, engine oil and filter change to look for debris, full diagnostic check and lots of starting and stopping the engine and early morning running in the cold and test dove it with load on the engine and could find nothing wrong. I have used it every day since and have had no problems it seems to be fine, they mot’d it at the same time, it was gleaming after the wash and polish they gave it before I picked it up  The only down side was the £845 bill😟

That is good news but I would not be happy with the bill.

Archived