Burmester

JohnSyn

No experience, but I doubt is worth £2K more than the Bose, especially if you spend a lot of time roof down. Seems more suited to the quietness of a Cayenne or Macan interior. 

But happy for you to Guinea Pig it for everyone 😀

Have it in the 911, have Bose in the Macan.

Basically wish it was the other way around 🙂

6 hours ago, Stuart21UK said:

I think Bose is pretty good as-is

I do Stuart..had it on all my Porsches. It's just a thread on Pistonheads that has intrigued me. 

Edited by JohnSyn

7 hours ago, Stuart21UK said:

personally I think Bose is pretty good as-is

54 minutes ago, JohnSyn said:

I do Stuart..had it on all my Porsches. It's just a thread on Pistonheads that has intrigued me. 

I agree with @Stuart21UK and as you know @JohnSyn how good Bose sound in the quiet comfort of the Macan, thus Burgmeister sound in the Macan would be fantastic.

As such it’s honestly wasted in the 911 as it would be in a Boxster. As neither offer the quiet cabin & acoustics that make the more expensive option worthwhile.

1 hour ago, JohnSyn said:

Out of interest what are the knowledge gods of PH’s saying? Don’t tell me it’s Porsche911R telling everyone he’s right and everyone is wrong   which is the norm. 

I specced a new Macan Turbo recently just for a laugh to see how much my ‘current’ Macan spec would cost, with only a couple of extras that I’m missing on the current one. Interestingly I did tick the Burgmeister sound system & in all honesty in the Macan I WOULD add it.

Edited by r1flyguy

1 hour ago, r1flyguy said:

I agree with @Stuart21UK and as you know @JohnSyn how good Bose sound in the quiet comfort of the Macan, thus Burgmeister sound in the Macan would be fantastic.

As such it’s honestly wasted in the 911 as it would be in a Boxster. As neither offer the quiet cabin & acoustics that make the more expensive option worthwhile.

In fact Gary it was a guy with a 718 Spyder, on Pistonheads,  who said he felt he had benefited from the burmester system. Could be played loudly with the roof down and still hear the music clearly. Of course there were the usual culprits who had an opinion!

Edited by JohnSyn

58 minutes ago, r1flyguy said:

I specced a new Macan Turbo recently just for a laugh to see how much my ‘current’ Macan spec would cost, with only a couple of extras that I’m missing on the current one. Interestingly I did tick the Burgmeister sound system & in all honesty in the Macan I WOULD add it

I'm interested that you would add that to the Macan Gary. I'm still very much enjoying my Macan GTS, got out of my Macan  diesel just in time! I have to say I don't like the light bar, across the top of the boot, on the latest ones. I'm waiting for the EV version and will see how things are then.  

1 hour ago, JohnSyn said:

I'm interested that you would add that to the Macan Gary. I'm still very much enjoying my Macan GTS, got out of my Macan  diesel just in time! 

Unfortunately and as usual I made the jump into the Macan too late so I’m ‘stuck’ with it for a while yet, maybe a good idea really as it’s depreciation has slowed a little now and I can use it to trade into an EV Macan also when they finally come out depending on its range.

The Burmester (finally spelt it right, I think) 😂 offers a clear clarity of sound which is far better than the Bose & the Bose is very good.

Whilst cruising on the motorway with CC on and the stereo playing in the 911 the sound is good BUT the 911 is not a quiet cruiser, the road noise alone from the tyres detracts from the stereo sound as does, rumble strips, expansion joints, etc, etc all the things you do not notice in the Macan. You do not go to the Opera and listen to the radio on you iPods, your quiet to appreciate what you hear.

Its like having race bucket seats fitted to a family Prius, you know the seats are great at what they do but in a Prius you just can’t appreciate them fully.

Edited by r1flyguy

Another factor may be daily driver vs weekend toy.  Bose in the 987.1 was never particularly respected anyway, but in mine for the 2-3k per year that I drive it, I almost never turn the sound system on at all.  Thus DD in a Boxster might make sense; weekend toy, less so.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 12/17/2021 at 1:18 PM, Stark9 said:

Really into my music and had a 718S in the early days as a courtesy car with the Burmeister and in my opinion, the Bose is much better. If you like a tighter and louder bass, it’s perfect. Even at full volume it’s not distorted 

Very interesting to hear that.  Are you comparing the Bose in your 991 to the Burmester in the 718? 

2 hours ago, Stark9 said:

No they were both from a 718.

Really interesting to hear that, as I've just opted to change my 718 GTS 4.0 spec from Bose to Burmester.  May I PM you to discuss your experiences further (before my spec is frozen)?

On 12/19/2021 at 6:50 PM, Stark9 said:

Yes of course happy to. Just the Bose is more punchier on the Bose and does not distort at all all the way to the loudest level, playing House and RnB like I like. The Burmeister was very loud and very very clear and sharp but just didn’t feel the tight bass

I'm surprised by what you say of the comparison between Bose and Burmester. Admittedly my comparison was in 981 S/GTS cars. I was "lucky" enough to score a long term Boxster S loaner, whilst my other car was repaired after a shunt, just before my GTS order locked down. I found the Bose in the S dreadful with an imprecise and overblown base that I couldn't tame at all with the tone controls. I confess this surprised me as I have had Bose in several other makes of car and found the setups really good. On the strength of this I ordered the Burmester, without hearing it first (couldn't find an example to listen to), in my BGTS and have never regretted it for a moment. My GTS is my daily and the roof is always down if it's not raining (...and sometimes even then!!). I also like my music loud and like tight, controlled, deep base. The soundstage in the Burmester is excellent for a car and is only beaten by the likes of the B&O in my Aston but if you think the Burmester is pricey you should see the tag on the B&O!