Is it OK to 'freshen up' the car on idle

John K

I don't have a garage or a CTEK, the car just sits on the drive.

If I wanted to top up the battery and move the fluids about but can't find a good reason for a drive, is it OK to leave it idling on the drive and if so, how long for?

Starting the car draws on the battery, so how long does it take at idle for the amount going in to exceed that amount taken out?

And should I just leave it on idle or once warm, give it a few blips to get it over the 4k mark?

Cheers

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Two of ours in drive on CTEK chargers when not used more than a week - keeps them tip-top - and the chargers aren't expensive so I'd just get one if I were you.

Read somewhere that leaving the car idling in neutral doesn't help the gearbox temp/oil movement much - actually better to drive it a short distance and back again - also helps keep corrosion off the brake discs - I run mine up the driveway behind our house or alternate cars when getting some shopping - then back on the charger - seems to be enough to keep them ok ish. But a proper run to get oil and water well up to temp every few weeks is what's really needed (20 mins or so) - and in these current times that's not possible for most of us.

mechanic told me once that getting a battery properly charged takes 45 minutes driving.

not sure letting it idle is going to do much good to be honest. It will warm up the engine oil and not much else.

A short drive would be better - or just sell it to me for £5.50 so i can strip it for parts :)

I asked Lee & Lynsey about this regarding the cherry bomb a couple of days ago - the reply I got  back from them verbatim is below.

“The best thing is to get the car running - get the car moving - this moves the wheel bearings boots everything.

The reason people say you shouldn't run it to temp is...the oil pump is driven from the engine.If it is just ticking over the oil pump isn't spinning very fast and hence not pushing the oil very hard .

You’ll hear 6 of one and half a dozen for the other.

You cant beat a quick blast in my opinion, but if you cant do that make sure you give it a bit of throttle to get the oil moving and make sure you move it backwards and forwards.

Have a battery trickle charger on stand by in case it needs a top up too. The battery will only last a couple of weeks from a full charge.”

That is straight from the horses mouth at Cotswold Porsche.

16 minutes ago, Pinewood said:

Buy a charger John.

If you start it, drive it

The battery, engine, oils, brakes etc etc etc  will thank you in the long run

Yeah, going to buy a CTEK from Amazon today (along with bird food)

Problem is, which one to buy... Cost doesn't matter too much, but I do need the ciggy lighter option. Faffing about under the bonnet is not an option.

I have looked at the CTEK thread, but its not that 'helpful' in recommending a model to somebody who just wants to pay for a problem to go away :laugh: 

1 minute ago, Scubaregs said:

Does it really need to be a CTEK? Cheaper options out there.

I don't want to seem to be a twunt here, but the cost doesn't really matter if it is £20, £50 or £150

The Box is my child and it is spoilt as much as it can be. And right now it must think I've got 'another car on the go' so I want to spend some money on it to show my love...

And I've found paying less often leads to paying twice

7 minutes ago, John K said:

Yeah, going to buy a CTEK from Amazon today (along with bird food)

Problem is, which one to buy... Cost doesn't matter too much, but I do need the ciggy lighter option. Faffing about under the bonnet is not an option.

I have looked at the CTEK thread, but its not that 'helpful' in recommending a model to somebody who just wants to pay for a problem to go away :laugh: 

Mxs 5.0 John, though i think the 3.8 is ok and is the one PCGB sell. Could be a long delivery time from Amazon though. And deffo get the cigarette lighter extension; makes things much more convenient

Thanks Peter / Paul,

Order for the MXS5 has been placed.

Scary ETA of 28th April but I suspect there is a lot of CYA in that date 🙂 

Idling a car to warm up is not good for it, I wouldn’t bother, you want a varying load on warm up ideally.  Obviously just the odd time won’t cause any issues, but much better to do the supermarket run or similar in it.   I will be visiting my mother to drop off some essentials so she doesn’t have to visit the supermarket herself, and mow the lawn whilst I’m there this weekend, 25miles round trip, just the thing for blowing the cobwebs off the car.  I won’t actually go in her house (for those social distancing warriors). 

4 hours ago, John K said:

Scary ETA of 28th April but I suspect there is a lot of CYA in that date 🙂

Hmmm! You might be surprised. Placed an order for a skipping rope (!) for my wife to keep fit about 10 days ago on Prime - still waiting...

4 minutes ago, entdgc said:

Hmmm! You might be surprised. Placed an order for a skipping rope (!) for my wife to keep fit about 10 days ago on Prime - still waiting...

I had a conversation at home this afternoon about getting some stuff for the garden to keep us occupied through these troubled times.

Onto Amazon to buy a badminton net, a swingball set and an inflatable hot tub.  Err no chance!

I hadn't really considered Amazon delivery issues at all given the current restrictions on everything retail - I'm so used to ordering something and have it arrive the next day!

Now this all starts to feel a bit more serious, it's the end of human civilisation as we know it :cry:

43 minutes ago, Scubaregs said:

If civilisation is playing badminton or swingball in a hot tub, it deserves to end.😀

Hey listen if we are confined to quarters I have to keep the family happy!

5 minutes ago, rowbos said:

Hey listen if we are confined to quarters I have to keep the family happy!

Mmmm, I see your dilemma, you can't make them happy as you can't leave.🤔

11 minutes ago, Scubaregs said:

Mmmm, I see your dilemma, you can't make them happy as you can't leave.🤔

:lol:  You've obviously been speaking to @rowbos wife. 🙂

6 hours ago, John K said:

And I've found paying less often leads to paying twice

This is so true in so many walks of life and its a lesson Ive learnt many times, to the point, like you John I don't faff around anymore just buy the best you can afford.

Don't now if there is much truth in this , was told a few years ago that just to replace the amps used on starting the car you have to drive for 10 miles to replace,

personally if i am going for a spin and  i am washing the car before hand , i would let it sit on tickover for about 10 minutes just enough to warm the seats and heater.

I was just about to say something similar to the above! It takes the vast majority of battery charge to start the car. Then the Alternator has to work hard to get the battery up to the correct level again.

I invested in a CTEK. I don't plug it in all the time because...car isn't in garage. It's plugged in the hall, into the small bathroom downstairs, cable goes out the window across the front door and into the car. Wife hates it but I have explained to her why it's so necessary. Having the terminal connectors permanently on there is a god send too....no more getting out to the car and no power for the windows to drop to get the door open.

Archived