The flat 6. Driving tips for a newbie

Cheddar Bob

So over to you owners for multiple years, how do you find the performance of your box and how do you normally drive it?

I want to rev the car through the gears as I'm that way inclined, but the longer gearing of a 5 speed means third is into hot water territory... 

The car doesn't encourage the usual hoolaganism behaviour I've been used to in cars of past. So I feel almost unkind when I take it up the rev range. 

I find the performance different to what I've been used to, although I haven't been able to drive the car much given the lockdown etc. 

What are your thoughts about your experience?

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, Stuart21UK said:

drive it hard after warm up and dont worry about it....

mine will do 78mph in 2nd and 3rd will go to something like 115mph IIRC....it is what it is ;)

Yep.  

The 986 is a bit slow compared to modern turbos in all honesty. To me the boxster doesn't feel fast at all during acceleration, probably due to the linear power distribution of a naturally aspirated engine. No whoosh that you get from a turbo. It is however a magnificent car, the handling is brilliant if the suspension and tyres are up to it and on the odd occasion it still surprises me how fast it can corner. Roof down and open the taps when safe to, it's the best way to drive it. 

Warm it up, but don't let it sit still. Drive it the moment the engine starts as the oil needs to reach all areas. Once at 80c, take it through the rev range in your gears. There's nothing holding these cars back in terms of pushing them as they're very well engineered.

Always good to push the car often through the rev range; keeps seals lubricated and the engine sweet. I'm sure I saw it recommended by Porsche in the manual somewhere (no joke) as they need to be driven.

I had a 1.8 VVTL-i Toyota Celica before this that revved to 8,500RPM, and that was incredibly fun. Switching to this was a little scary as it seemed like a sledge hammer in comparison. But honestly, just drive it and enjoy it.

I remember being at a TIPEC “topless Tuesday “ event last year where I spent most of the evening chatting to @Pinewood and his son and we were discussing giving out cars an “Italian tune up “ as it’s good for them and helps shift carbon deposits and a TIPEC member came into the conversation and said “ oh where do you take it to get that done ? “ 🤣      

When new (20years ago) the 986s would hit 60mph in 5.5s and top out at 169mph. 

Even by today’s standards it is hardly a slow car. Sure a modern turbo has a truckload more mid range torque which means it has more “punch” in daily driver terms - say 2k-4k rpm. 

On track where you really do use more (all) of the rev range then, in my experience, as standard the 986 only really misses out against cars with 100+bhp advantages where there are sections long enough to put that power advantage to use.  

So in terms of enjoying it on the road - how to combine street and track?

As the others have said, warm it up (rule of thumb via an Indy who posts here: engine oil takes double the time that coolant does to reach operating temp) and then use the whole rev range - keep it above 4k rpm and with good judgement there’s a ton of fun to be had without going bonkers.

Been on many a potter, pootle and bimble in this part of the engine’s range without necessarily breaking any speed limits regardless of the 986 - whether 2.5, 2.7, 3.2 or more - they all go plenty quick enough to be responsible fun and many a driver of a newer “quicker” car has found that there simply isn’t the real world performance gap folk perceive there to be. 

Don't think you need much in the way of driving tips for the Boxster, rev it hard and it has more grip than you can imagine.  I think reading about comparisons from those with multiple cars is interesting though.

I had a Civic Type R when I bought the 986, never liked that car.  Bought a thing called a Flashpro which made it a bit more driveable but the car was completely gutless below 5500rpm with incredibly short gearing and really crashy ride, sounded like a rally car and would rev to almost 9000 though.

The Boxster was a revelation, most people don't like the long gearing but I really liked that you could pootle through a village in 3rd gear doing 25mph but also be able to do 110mph without changing gear.  I used to hate jumping from the Boxster into the Civic and tended to use that in Winter only or when carrying something, RWD Porsche's aren't much fun in winter - especially in snow no matter what some may say.

The Boxster isn't particularly fast to 60 but the 0-100 time is more competitive.  I now have a 4 series and like driving both, the BMW does feel faster than the 981 even though they have identical 0-60 times, the all wheel drive and twin turbo's make it so effortlessly fast off the line, definitely need to work the Boxster hard to keep up.  The Boxster is obviously first choice for a trip out on a sunny day and the BMW when I need to tow stuff around at the airfield.

0w5DGT5.jpg

Y2iFGcX.jpg

12 hours ago, Cheddar Bob said:

I find the performance different to what I've been used to,

The problem is you haven't said what you are used to.  1.1 Fiesta? Honda S2000?  3.0 twin turbo diesel? Wallowy 4x4? Ford RS Asbo?

The two similar performance cars I've had are Carlton 3000GSi 24v, normally aspirated with variable intake plenums (not timing) and long German gearing to over theoretical 170mph.  The torque is much higher up the rev range over 3k that my others which were Impreza Turbos had much lower at not much over 2.2k and these were shorter geared to sub 150mph.

On 0-60, the Impreza would hit 60mph in 2nd but 100km/h needed 3rd so they are apparently quicker in the UK than Europe whereas both the Boxster and the Carton hit 60 in one gear change.

As for driving both the n/a cars were relaxed but slower to pick up without a gear change but the Scoobys could pick up much quicker as the boost come through at lower revs.  One of my 3 Scoobys was a Jap import wagon so shorter geared and had an after market boost gauge.  I though if it as a 2 litre n/a at 0 boost, a 3 litre n/a at 0.5bar and 4 litre at full 1 bar boost (it was chipped up a bit) i.e. a variable capacity engine which is almost exactly what a turbo does for you.

All these cars were fun but all behaved differently.  You just tune in to what's under you after a period of time and what type of road you are on.  I often pootle around not exceeding 4k rpm in the Boxster, other times it gest pushed over 6k and occasionally to 7k (but I've never hit the cut yet!)

For me the Boxster is a perfect car for our roads. The ride is much better than some daily cars we have had ( Scirocco, BMW 3 series spring to mind ) and has one of the best sounding engines ever.

The power is plenty for me and the chassis more talented than I am!

Out in mid Wales early doors ( when we can again ) is my time to rev out in the lower gears. Great fun staying in 3rd for the sweepers and when fun time is over, bimble along in 6th.

Pity we are restricted in travel with such perfect weather. It would be hard though to explain to the local law, you are on a what you thought was a necessary journey for your sanity,  half way up a Welsh mountain!

4 hours ago, GmanB said:

The 986 is a bit slow compared to modern turbos in all honesty. To me the boxster doesn't feel fast at all during acceleration, probably due to the linear power distribution of a naturally aspirated engine. No whoosh that you get from a turbo. It is however a magnificent car, the handling is brilliant if the suspension and tyres are up to it and on the odd occasion it still surprises me how fast it can corner. Roof down and open the taps when safe to, it's the best way to drive it. 

Totally agree,  I'm from the Evolution Turbo days and class my 2.7 as fairly slow, 220bhp is not alot as most Diesel's run 180bhp,, so why is the 986 a fantastic car over power,  proper 50 50 weight distribution,  looks fantastic even if you put next to a brand new Porsche,  brilliant workmanship in the build quality,  sounds awesome proper flat 6 , try and keep OEM exhaust as this was the special sound that Porsche wanted, the 986 have a timeless look to them and look incredible,  my 99 plate has absolutely no rust anywhere and is all original,  the guys I  Findland did a A1 job , over all they built this car to a very high standard,  I love it and just want to look at it all day..

I like the power delivery of the 986 S, once it's had a couple of small mods, but sometimes think it could do with the same curve but say 315bhp. This would mean you would have to modulate the throttle more as you can basically floor it in most situations. At that power level though a diff might be needed. 

I think the context and benchmark of cars has an effect. I ran a 400bhp/400lbsft AMG alongside and it was much quicker in a straight line. Handling was tidy but with"only" 255 tyres traction easily overcome. It gives a different driving pleàsure than a Boxster. Boxster is well balanced, smooth, precise, mostly predictable and has a nice flow. 

9 hours ago, CAZ said:

I remember being at a TIPEC “topless Tuesday “ event last year where I spent most of the evening chatting to @Pinewood and his son and we were discussing giving out cars an “Italian tune up “ as it’s good for them and helps shift carbon deposits and a TIPEC member came into the conversation and said “ oh where do you take it to get that done ? “ 🤣      

I so wanted to say "The Autobahn"! 

Take it on track is the best way to drive it. I think that it is only on track where you can really appreciate the way a 986 drives. The power delivery makes sense, the gearing makes sense, the brakes make sense etc etc. 

35 minutes ago, Scubaregs said:

c135Aig.jpg

Is that what Subaru drivers wear? This thread is about flat-sixes.

11 hours ago, map said:

When new (20years ago) the 986s would hit 60mph in 5.5s and top out at 169mph. 

Even by today’s standards it is hardly a slow car. Sure a modern turbo has a truckload more mid range torque which means it has more “punch” in daily driver terms - say 2k-4k rpm. 

On track where you really do use more (all) of the rev range then, in my experience, as standard the 986 only really misses out against cars with 100+bhp advantages where there are sections long enough to put that power advantage to use.  

So in terms of enjoying it on the road - how to combine street and track?

As the others have said, warm it up (rule of thumb via an Indy who posts here: engine oil takes double the time that coolant does to reach operating temp) and then use the whole rev range - keep it above 4k rpm and with good judgement there’s a ton of fun to be had without going bonkers.

Been on many a potter, pootle and bimble in this part of the engine’s range without necessarily breaking any speed limits regardless of the 986 - whether 2.5, 2.7, 3.2 or more - they all go plenty quick enough to be responsible fun and many a driver of a newer “quicker” car has found that there simply isn’t the real world performance gap folk perceive there to be. 

This is pretty spot on ^^^^

Archived