The flat 6. Driving tips for a newbie

Cheddar Bob

1 hour ago, Cheddar Bob said:

I didn't need to go to Wales, took an journey which was a bit longer on my usual 30 mile n commute...

Very good feel. I see what you mean about second and third gear usability. High rev cornering gave feel and impression of control, even a little slip from the rear... 

Feel odd for doubting the car now

You've started a new chapter now!

I think with petrol and diesel turbos being so prevalent now we forget how to drive an n/a car to get the best.  If like me you grew up with hot hatches revs were the way to access the performance.

Even today out shopping (yes, roof down) I hit 6.5k revs in second on the slip road on to the A14 going home. 🙂

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, ½cwt said:

You've started a new chapter now!

I think with petrol and diesel turbos being so prevalent now we forget how to drive an n/a car to get the best.  If like me you grew up with hot hatches revs were the way to access the performance.

Even today out shopping (yes, roof down) I hit 6.5k revs in second on the slip road on to the A14 going home. 🙂

Very much so, except the driving experience seemed so different as in much more raw. 

This is my first experience in a proper car 😁

Hi

I have only bought my Boxster 2.7 Tip recently and have only driven it a few times before disassembly but its not a "racer" type of car. If you want to you can make it go fast, but its quite a smooth refined drive. I have a 993 Tip also, and that is not a fast car by modern standards, but it can keep up and is fast over 120 :)

I used to have 300ZX TT, and that felt faster, but its pretty much down to the power delivery. Feels fast and is fast are different and relative.

It sure is a nice car and a bit more grown up than the alternatives.

Berni

Ok chaps and ladies I potentially have not kept my powder dry here...

Very engaging through the twisty's. The lack of speed sensation in lower speeds is made up comfortably in handling. The car is moving a lot quicker than I think and the tiny digital speedo reinforces that. 

I am very interested in seeing how this car handles in a track environment. 

24 minutes ago, Cheddar Bob said:

Ok chaps and ladies I potentially have not kept my powder dry here...

Very engaging through the twisty's. The lack of speed sensation in lower speeds is made up comfortably in handling. The car is moving a lot quicker than I think and the tiny digital speedo reinforces that. 

I am very interested in seeing how this car handles in a track environment. 

Depending on your driving style and speed you will possibly get some understeer push. You may find making the front neg camber is enough. You can slot the strut tower 5mm or so to get a bit more otherwise you are then into adjustable top mounts or lower arms. 

48 minutes ago, edc said:

Depending on your driving style and speed you will possibly get some understeer push. You may find making the front neg camber is enough. You can slot the strut tower 5mm or so to get a bit more otherwise you are then into adjustable top mounts or lower arms. 

Keeping a bit of brake pressure on into the earlier part of the corner will keep more weight transfer to the front during turn in to help stop understeer building as will a smooth release not sudden release of the brakes until you can balance the car with smooth power application once you are at the apex.  The basics are smooth transitions, nothing sudden.  I have found that the Boxster will move under you a bit more than most cars I've driven so part is learning what are small balance transitions in the chassis as opposed to the start of a slide that needs more intervention.

On the track you'll have more time to 'play' to see how the car reacts to different inputs in the same corner, also more speed in vs earlier apex and power for a quicker exit so you will learn a lot more.

5 hours ago, ½cwt said:

Keeping a bit of brake pressure on into the earlier part of the corner will keep more weight transfer to the front during turn in to help stop understeer building as will a smooth release not sudden release of the brakes until you can balance the car with smooth power application once you are at the apex.  The basics are smooth transitions, nothing sudden.  I have found that the Boxster will move under you a bit more than most cars I've driven so part is learning what are small balance transitions in the chassis as opposed to the start of a slide that needs more intervention.

On the track you'll have more time to 'play' to see how the car reacts to different inputs in the same corner, also more speed in vs earlier apex and power for a quicker exit so you will learn a lot more.

I find trail braking deep into the apex works. Brake hard and load up the front. This is where fresh dampers really helps because otherwise the rear goes squirrelly. Then stay on the throttle so the car squats. Too big a lift mid corner and you might spin. 

I'm used to bikes moving around under me. Today I jammed the anchors on and the car did squirm. 

I'll be keen to take the car around Donington. Have done many many laps on two wheels. I think cars don't go through the Melbourne loop but otherwise I'd be keen to see how the lines differ 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/6/2020 at 11:50 AM, andyl62 said:

For me the Boxster is a perfect car for our roads. The ride is much better than some daily cars we have had ( Scirocco, BMW 3 series spring to mind ) and has one of the best sounding engines ever.

The power is plenty for me and the chassis more talented than I am!

Out in mid Wales early doors ( when we can again ) is my time to rev out in the lower gears. Great fun staying in 3rd for the sweepers and when fun time is over, bimble along in 6th.

Pity we are restricted in travel with such perfect weather. It would be hard though to explain to the local law, you are on a what you thought was a necessary journey for your sanity,  half way up a Welsh mountain!

Well, now, you could say you were on your way to Barnard Castle.

I now tend to find first gear lacking for acceleration as well as the other gears. Eg fourth at 40 or so very slow to pickup. To be fair even second feels that way. 

5000rpm plus is decent enough for enjoyment. 

In a way I'm also pleased it's less savage as I'm not constantly in fear of the ar*e kicking. That said that's probably a false sense of confidence 

Its a normally aspirated engine, low revs = low torque.  The 'box in the 2.7 is actually quite long geared.  Even with the vario cam set up not much happens below 3k.

The best BOXSTER runs I’ve had have been spent above 4000rpm in second and third gear on B roads. This is where the car comes alive. 

my diesel Insignia Grand Sport SRI Nav will pull from low revs better than my BOXSTER, but it serves a much different purpose. 

There’s a reason 4K is TDC on the Rev counter. The reason is, left of it is for parking, and right of it is for What its built for. 

On 5/9/2020 at 1:24 PM, Cheddar Bob said:

I didn't need to go to Wales, took an journey which was a bit longer on my usual 30 mile n commute...

Very good feel. I see what you mean about second and third gear usability. High rev cornering gave feel and impression of control, even a little slip from the rear... 

Feel odd for doubting the car now

I liked the car when I first got it, I LOVED the car after my run out with someone who shall remain nameless. (Loz😀) Damn did I let that slip out.?

On 5/8/2020 at 7:59 AM, RickLS7 said:

The problem with the Boxster is that it's too good, to have any fun normally means you are the wrong side of the speed limit most of the time.  This is especially true of the 981/718 as they corner so flat, you never feel near the limit.  Yeah, 2nd & 3rd gear is where the fun is - on the right road of course.

I've analysed my driving recently and discovered I speed up in the twisty bits and slow down for the straights.  Does anyone else do this?  I guess any moron can go fast in a straight line or is it mobile speed cameras are sited on straights?

Yes. Absolutely. When I started organising runs out, that was the very premise of them. From my trips to Drive in the LA Canyons I learned the term “casual 60”.

on B road, the implications are I hope clear. 

On 5/8/2020 at 7:59 AM, RickLS7 said:

The problem with the Boxster is that it's too good, to have any fun normally means you are the wrong side of the speed limit most of the time.  This is especially true of the 981/718 as they corner so flat, you never feel near the limit.  Yeah, 2nd & 3rd gear is where the fun is - on the right road of course.

I've analysed my driving recently and discovered I speed up in the twisty bits and slow down for the straights.  Does anyone else do this?  I guess any moron can go fast in a straight line or is it mobile speed cameras are sited on straights?

Did someone say "moron" and "straight line" they'll be wanting an RS6 then :)

11 hours ago, Terryg said:

I liked the car when I first got it, I LOVED the car after my run out with someone who shall remain nameless. (Loz😀) Damn did I let that slip out.?

Let’s revisit those heady times tomorrow, mate😎

I’ll be gentle, I promise🤞😇👍

1 hour ago, Mr96er said:

Let’s revisit those heady times tomorrow, mate😎

I’ll be gentle, I promise🤞😇👍

I love it when you are gentle with me.

Just now, Mr96er said:

The force, strong in you today it was! Hmmm

You could see from 6 cars ahead??? The force was strong with you also!

1 hour ago, Terryg said:

You could see from 6 cars ahead??? The force was strong with you also!

No kidding, I think I might need stitches 😖

On 5/8/2020 at 8:59 AM, RickLS7 said:

You are correct on both counts.

Just watch any IG or YT tw*ts videoing themselves in Porsche's or bikes alike, they only seem to be able to drive fast on straight roads which i consider to be the least impressive & most boring thing to do,

H&S has a lot to do with police being unable to hide on bends 🙂 which is good for us, thus anyone who's been out on the Bridgnorth runs will now realise why on the straight sections of the route I'm rather sedate.

The twisties are when the funs at 🤪

4 hours ago, r1flyguy said:

Just watch any IG or YT tw*ts videoing themselves in Porsche's or bikes alike, they only seem to be able to drive fast on straight roads which i consider to be the least impressive & most boring thing to do,

H&S has a lot to do with police being unable to hide on bends 🙂 which is good for us, thus anyone who's been out on the Bridgnorth runs will now realise why on the straight sections of the route I'm rather sedate.

Above all, This☝️😎

9 hours ago, r1flyguy said:

I take the same view and on the bike as well. There are times where it is nice to enjoy some straight line movings, but more often than not, the risk is not worth the reward. 

Some of the welsh roads as you seem to know, 60mph is enough for a few white knuckles....  

Archived