The flat 6. Driving tips for a newbie

Cheddar Bob

5 hours ago, JonSta said:

Interesting read this. I find my 2.7 surprisingly torquey - it always seems to pick up and I can drive it round town at 1200 rpm in top no probs. OK it won't burn rubber at that speed but it's quite useable. Should point out that my last fast car made 380 lbs/ft at 2000 rpm and would eat the boxster like a small snack, both in a straight line and in the bends. But that's not the point. I don't want a car that's only fun at 120mph and what the boxster lacks in outright speed it makes up for in tactility, adjustabilty and just outright fun. At reasonable speed. That said I'm still adjusting to the corner entry speeds you can get away with in the boxster and the way you can point the nose with the throttle. It's not a sledgehammer - it's a scalpel.

Today I met with a friend who has a V8 Jag XK8. Nothing much in the speed, with the box being a tad quicker. 

The Jag however felt hugely faster as a passenger. 

In reality was none. 

Roads were wet so handling wise wasn't explored but I think we all know the winner there.....

Covered 200miles through Wales today. Starting to really notice a few excellent things 

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, pacificjuha said:

What tires you're driving with? I need new set by end of the season...

Fortuna sport rear

Sailwin sportway front

I'd guess a different brand and same brand front rear tyres would be much better. 

My handling comment is more of, even with cheap unmatched tyres the car handles superbly 

2 hours ago, Cheddar Bob said:

Fortuna sport rear

Sailwin sportway front

I'd guess a different brand and same brand front rear tyres would be much better. 

My handling comment is more of, even with cheap unmatched tyres the car handles superbly 

Handling the same, overall grip levels different though I imagine.  So in some ways making the superb handling even more accessible (but mind those ditches!).

On 6/8/2020 at 9:59 AM, Cheddar Bob said:

Thanks for you comments guys and girls. 

It's good to read and consider how others experience their own porker. 

Smiles for miles with the roof down is excellent. I like it to the feeling of being on a bike..open countryside and open to surroundings. 

Yes, its exactly that, like riding a bike.  The handling and the low center of gravity is unique.  Its not very fast in a straight line and I wouldn't challenge anyone in a modern AMG, RS or M car to a drag race.  However, unlike those fly-by-wire cars the feedback you receive is rewarding.  For the money there is very little that can give you the same kind of joy.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/19/2020 at 11:36 AM, fox10 said:

Yes, its exactly that, like riding a bike.  The handling and the low center of gravity is unique.  Its not very fast in a straight line and I wouldn't challenge anyone in a modern AMG, RS or M car to a drag race.  However, unlike those fly-by-wire cars the feedback you receive is rewarding.  For the money there is very little that can give you the same kind of joy.

So a very well known hill near be called fish hill is a popular on road testing ground for many.

Today I was randomly joined by a new golf GTi, a focus rs, the blue fwd one, a Nissan gtr, a new box in blue and a rs3 or S3 couldn't tell. They were driving in convoy type and I tagged on. 

The gtr was very fast, but backed out of the corners? Psm was having a panic attack through all the bends. The other cars didn't fair well... They took great pleasure in hoonin past on the straight up the top, but once again the car had surprised me. 

Needless to say, the boxster came alive. 

Was interesting to compare some new and old cars at the same time. 

1 hour ago, Cheddar Bob said:

So a very well known hill near be called fish hill is a popular on road testing ground for many.

Today I was randomly joined by a new golf GTi, a focus rs, the blue fwd one, a Nissan gtr, a new box in blue and a rs3 or S3 couldn't tell. They were driving in convoy type and I tagged on. 

The gtr was very fast, but backed out of the corners? Psm was having a panic attack through all the bends. The other cars didn't fair well... They took great pleasure in hoonin past on the straight up the top, but once again the car had surprised me. 

Needless to say, the boxster came alive. 

Was interesting to compare some new and old cars at the same time. 

Sounds like a good day out.  I am surprised the GTR backed out of the corners - it's normally very good as it is all wheel drive.  I have never driven the new one, the only one I have had the pleasure of driving is the old R33 V-spec which was a beast.  Another performance bargain.

5 hours ago, fox10 said:

Sounds like a good day out.  I am surprised the GTR backed out of the corners - it's normally very good as it is all wheel drive.  I have never driven the new one, the only one I have had the pleasure of driving is the old R33 V-spec which was a beast.  Another performance bargain.

Not all drivers are equal to the ability of their cars, or the cars a so capable you can't access the performance on the public road.

9 hours ago, fox10 said:

Me too. He shot off at the bottom of the hill but apart from the first corner seemed to slow right down. 

There is a video on YouTube of a 986 S around Donington with a gtr in front. When I watched that I wondered why the gtr didn't bugger off. 

@½cwt you might be right, maybe it's too much of a handful on a public road

10 hours ago, Cheddar Bob said:

The gtr was very fast, but backed out of the corners? Psm was having a panic attack through all the bends.

Sorry do you mean his PSM or yours?

Just now, Menoporsche said:

Sorry do you mean his PSM or yours?

No in the box. I'm not a fan of it. It seems to cut the throttle completely and stops the slide almost as instantly as the rear breaks. 

Regarding the gtr, apart from a quick section of loud pedal on the straight parts, was very cautious in the bends. The car was mega loud, it was easy to hear when the throttle was being used

5 hours ago, Cheddar Bob said:

No in the box. I'm not a fan of it. It seems to cut the throttle completely and stops the slide almost as instantly as the rear breaks. 

Regarding the gtr, apart from a quick section of loud pedal on the straight parts, was very cautious in the bends. The car was mega loud, it was easy to hear when the throttle was being used

Guy that used to map my Subaru went to Germany to map one of those. Easily got 1500 hp from it then got it to 1700hp but backed it off a little in the interests of having it last more than a week. I still don't like them.

1 hour ago, JonSta said:

Guy that used to map my Subaru went to Germany to map one of those. Easily got 1500 hp from it then got it to 1700hp but backed it off a little in the interests of having it last more than a week. I still don't like them.

That's enough for Lewis Hamilton. Bugger me 

• 4 months later...

So I'm roughly 9,000 miles into boxster ownership. I've used the car for fun and a daily and it has provided me with a number of emotional reactions. 

Overall I find the box a pleasure to drive. When it is on the mustard it is engaging, confidence inspiring and provides a relatively excellent sense of speed. As a commuter, it is ok, but it does take the edge of the fun side. 

Handling wise, the car is sublime. The confidence the suspension gives is impressive and the car makes up hugely for my lack of talent. The rear is difficult to unsettle, but I've been able to kick the ar*e out a number of times, all of it intentional and the car behaved as I expected. 

I have no doubt the car will bite, and wet weather harsh accelerating, tight corners gives a good snapshot of that to expect when you overcook it. 

A number of braking methods work well. Braking on the road, isn't really braking, rarely do you brake harsh enough to use the weight transfer, so I am keen to see how this handles on the track. I expect it to be excellent. Under braking on the road, it is firm, controlled and the car stops quickly. More than enough for fast road driving. 

Selecting the wrong gear can make the car feel underpowered, but the car is all about stirring the box. You can though, leave the car in 3rd and blast through the twisty's, takes away some fun but means you can focus on the steering part. 

Breaking traction in a straight line under acceleration is rare, and i have only experienced this in the wet and in first. No matter how hard i snatch the clutch and second gear, there has been no slip when changing up.

Heel and toe use is easy in the boxstser. Its fun to blip on the down throttle and under harsh braking makes the rear stable. I've yet to lock the rear, but as above, rarely brake so hard i need to worry. 

Visibility is surprisingly good for a low slung sports car (roof up) and roof down well need i say anything.

My default driving for fun has been short blasts of 2nd and 3rd gear, using the throttle to turn with minimal steering input and feeling the car work. The top halve of the rev range is the best, but I tend to find I'm hardly ever needing it. 

Overall, this is a car that allows you to go fast, but doesn't encourage you to do so. 

Top tips

Use the rev range for enjoyment in low down gears. 

Try steering on the throttle for improved technique and feel. (you still need to use the wheel, but try and see what I mean)

Learn to heel toe. It adds a level of fun. 

Roof down as often as you can. buy a cayman otherwise.

Practice a smooth style when cornering. Try to keep the car flat and planted and it will inspire confidence and even more speed if its needed. 

For hooliganism, turn the wheel one quarter and let rip. * You will unsettle the rear, be prepared.

• 2 months later...

Firstly very interesting thread and loving the input from people own experiences. 

So... i've had the the 03 plate 986 S for a week now (will find out in 2 weeks if im keeping it, long story 🙄) and although ive only done circa 100 miles i have explored some of the boundaries of the car already inc intentionally making the rear step on a nice 2nd gear quiet bend. 

Someone mentioned the MR2 and ive had 3 of them in the past, 2 were the turbo variant and would hit 60 in 5.2s in standard form. Both were slightly modded and were circa 280/290bhp and 60 would be hit in sub 5 sec. 

I have tracked them both at a few tracks in a trip to the nurburgring and the only time i have ever span the mr2's were on track where i was exploring the limits in safety. Bruntingthorpe loads of run off space and the common MR2 trait of fishtailing got the better of me after i thought i had managed to catch the backend. 

I say all the above so you understand where my thoughts lie with the 986 S. The biggest thing in comparison i would say from the other mid engine RWD car is that this is so much more composed under load and a hell of a lot more when traction does break loose and it just easily held the tiny slide without snatching grip then throwing it back the other way in a pendulum motion as i was used to in the MR2's. 

Have to agree the power delivery is very linear and that can only be a good thing for handling and the twisties as you used to be wary of coming on boost mid corner in the MR2 and the only way to get round was to maintain speed and not come of the power or increase power drastically. 

It deffo is not the fastest cars out there i agree but alas its deffo no slouch with the couple of encounters ive had so far but the sense of speed is totally different to boosted cars. I think the 6 gears are bloody long so i dread to think how the 5 speed is! 

Another aspect i love is the pedal positions! Heel and 'side foot' is so much easier in this compared to all the other sporty cars ive had in the past. (Integra Type Rs DC2,DC5, EP3, Celica GT4 st205) 

I learned how to do it in the MR2 after i had a scary experience where i tried to down shift a bit too hot and got clutch kick and the car was squirming towards a round about... lol

With regards to general everyday driving ive had to get used to the superior torque of the 3.2 and i can cruise at 30mph in 6th and when i put my foot down it moves! very very different feel to my old turbo cars. 

Archived