718 headlight upgrade

phantomf14

For starters there is no front bumper removal the bulbs and ballasts are accessed after  removal of the plastic wheel arch liner 10 screws you will need 2x35w ballasts 2x35wbulbs i used philips DS3 42 volts xtreme other are available then swap the existing ballasts for the 35 w ones swap the bulbs you just remove a covering plate on the back of the head light then a clip on the bulb you might ha to remove a small of plastic on the braided lead with a stanley blade check light is working and do the other side if you want the exact part no i used come back to me really easy took me about couple hours but i was working blind, best £money iv'e spent on a car the improvement is 100% improvment

4 hours ago, bandit_287 said:

That’s interesting. I was under the impression that the 718 was fitted with the more modern LED’s. 

LED's are an optional extra.

• 1 month later...
On 6/3/2020 at 8:58 PM, phantomf14 said:

For starters there is no front bumper removal the bulbs and ballasts are accessed after  removal of the plastic wheel arch liner 10 screws you will need 2x35w ballasts 2x35wbulbs i used philips DS3 42 volts xtreme other are available then swap the existing ballasts for the 35 w ones swap the bulbs you just remove a covering plate on the back of the head light then a clip on the bulb you might ha to remove a small of plastic on the braided lead with a stanley blade check light is working and do the other side if you want the exact part no i used come back to me really easy took me about couple hours but i was working blind, best £money iv'e spent on a car the improvement is 100% improvment

Didn't realise you have to go in from the wheel arch liner 🤪, luckily on the 981 just take out the light unit and the ballast units are attached to the underside.

Week done, a great mod and worth the effort to be able to see in the dark 😃

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/17/2020 at 3:35 PM, mneil said:

Didn't realise you have to go in from the wheel arch liner 🤪, luckily on the 981 just take out the light unit and the ballast units are attached to the underside.

Week done, a great mod and worth the effort to be able to see in the dark 😃

I figured the 718 wouldn't have this problem!

I'm tempted by this one too. I'm so scared of chipping the light at the bottom I understand they are extremely fragile on the 981. Is it possible to do this without taking the light out on the 981?

2 hours ago, daz05 said:

I figured the 718 wouldn't have this problem!

I'm tempted by this one too. I'm so scared of chipping the light at the bottom I understand they are extremely fragile on the 981. Is it possible to do this without taking the light out on the 981?

I found this really easy Daz, with the supplied tool the light unit comes away from the wing. I did use a towel to protect the wing whilst disconnecting the wiring plug. If I remember correctly there is a link to the upgraded parts needed in a thread in the 981 section somewhere.

Soo nice to be able to see in the dark 😃.

1 hour ago, mneil said:

I found this really easy Daz, with the supplied tool the light unit comes away from the wing. I did use a towel to protect the wing whilst disconnecting the wiring plug. If I remember correctly there is a link to the upgraded parts needed in a thread in the 981 section somewhere.

Soo nice to be able to see in the dark 😃.

I've seen the parts just ballast and bulbs right? What is the tool you mention? No way of doing this through the wheel arch?

1 hour ago, daz05 said:

I've seen the parts just ballast and bulbs right? What is the tool you mention? No way of doing this through the wheel arch?

It's in the frunk in the kit, think off hand it has a torx end which you insert in a hole within the frunk to the side of each light assembly. As you twist the tool, it unlocks the light assembly and pushes it forwards. At the coast now, kitesurfing and mtb, back home Thursday will post you a couple of images.

955-721-135-01-2t-jpg.818

Here is a link I found, ours is so much easier don't have to remove panels.

17 minutes ago, Richard Hamilton said:

Wish it was that easy on a 718.  The headlight is bolted to the wing, and to change the headlight unit you have to remove both wheel arch liners and the front PU to remove it.

Yup right up there with gluing batteries into mobile phones. Progress, as a Service.

8 hours ago, mneil said:

It's in the frunk in the kit, think off hand it has a torx end which you insert in a hole within the frunk to the side of each light assembly. As you twist the tool, it unlocks the light assembly and pushes it forwards. At the coast now, kitesurfing and mtb, back home Thursday will post you a couple of images.

955-721-135-01-2t-jpg.818

Here is a link I found, ours is so much easier don't have to remove panels.

Nice one I did not know that!

Archived