Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Easy way is to remove your auxiliary belt and fit the shorter one used on non-aircon cars. 

Unless you're determined to reduce weight, I would keep all the components so it's reversible & wont affect the value of the car too much.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Skier1 said:

I am thinking of removing the air conditioning in my 2003 Boxster 3.2S as I never use it. Can anyone tell how I need to do it and if it can be done By myself, not using a mechanic.

Thanks

Why?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Nobbie said:

Why?

I live in the U.K., so not a hot climate. I only drive my car when I can do so with the top down, so as I mentioned, I never use it. AC’s tend to weigh a ton, so driving it around and not using it is pointless, saving weight and fuel. Another Benefit is more direct Airflow onto the radiators rather than it being blocked by the condensers.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, RickLS7 said:

Easy way is to remove your auxiliary belt and fit the shorter one used on non-aircon cars. 

Unless you're determined to reduce weight, I would keep all the components so it's reversible & wont affect the value of the car too much.

Yes, was thinking the same thing. Thanks

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, richardjjs said:

I would agree with RickS7
But drop the front Bumper and get rid of any cr*p between the Condensor and Radiator
Perhaps remove the Condensors if they are damaged
I use my AC when its very hot but that me
 

👍

Link to post
Share on other sites

The condensers weigh next to nothing. You'll save more weight removing the parcel shelf and spare wheel. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, edc said:

The condensers weigh next to nothing. You'll save more weight removing the parcel shelf and spare wheel. 

Yes, done that, along with the tool kit. Just keep a holts tyre weld and 12v tyre inflator. I have always had this thing about not driving around with excess weight, that’s just me I guess. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Skier1 said:

I live in the U.K., so not a hot climate. I only drive my car when I can do so with the top down, so as I mentioned, I never use it. AC’s tend to weigh a ton, so driving it around and not using it is pointless, saving weight and fuel. Another Benefit is more direct Airflow onto the radiators rather than it being blocked by the condensers.

With a decent toolkit it should be doable DIY, although if the system is full of coolant then you should take it to a garage to get it removed first. It will be a lot of faffing around though, particularly if you want to remove all the pipes. If you are into weight saving, this is an excellent thread to give you some ideas.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Nobbie said:

With a decent toolkit it should be doable DIY, although if the system is full of coolant then you should take it to a garage to get it removed first. It will be a lot of faffing around though, particularly if you want to remove all the pipes. If you are into weight saving, this is an excellent thread to give you some ideas.

 

I shall take a look. Thanks

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Yep take it to a garage which has an aircon machine, they can suck out any remaning gas and oil, before you start disconnecting the pipes. The gas is toxic, so best to do this first.

Then remove the condensors and the compressor if you want. I would leave the pipes in place, so a future owner could re-instate if required.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Are you intending on keeping the car and moving it on one day? Resale will be dented if you remove the system, these cars are always more attractive to buyers with an extra or 2 more than the next one, only of course if the history and condition stack up.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, EVO Chris said:

Are you intending on keeping the car and moving it on one day? Resale will be dented if you remove the system, these cars are always more attractive to buyers with an extra or 2 more than the next one, only of course if the history and condition stack up.

+1

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...