718 issues

bandit_287

In a world of ever evolving technology and progress with research and development cars are becoming more reliable than ever however I met up with a friend this week with a 718 that’s just under two years old, in the time he’s owned it it’s needed two new turbos and a water pump. I was very surprised to say the least. Can any other 718 owners report any major issues?

edit, it’s done 21,000 miles. 

Edited by bandit_287

All turbos need to be looked after by the owner/driver.

If the drive hard from cold and turn straight off without allowing the oil to cool - problems will follow... most daily drivers do not know or allow for this and are not advised by the salesmen either !

9 hours ago, RoddyT said:

Not had any issues other than tyres only lasting 20,000 miles....

Amazing! Changing my rears on Monday, just over 10k, seems about normal for me. Apparently I often drive it like I stole it 😂😂.

Edited by mneil
Predictive text 🤪

I’ve not heard of that many issues with the 718 generally, but to be fair the engine was new so it wouldn’t be surprising if some issues did show up. The 981 engine was just a development/refinement of the 911/Boxster engine from the previous generation so you would expect it to be pretty reliable (which I think is proving to be the case).  The 718 was pretty much developed from the ground up, so I think it’s quite encouraging that there haven't been  more reports of engine issues in this generation.

I had a “cooling system fault, service required, contact dealer” message appear. It was a split pipe apparently.

Other than that, no issues to report.

20 hours ago, Patt said:

All turbos need to be looked after by the owner/driver.

If the drive hard from cold and turn straight off without allowing the oil to cool - problems will follow... most daily drivers do not know or allow for this and are not advised by the salesmen either !

Is this still an issue on newer cars? I thought it was only an issue on old school turbos where the oils weren’t up to spec and the installations not particularly refined. I’d be doubtful of Porsche producing a modern mass market sports car that you need to idle for a couple of minutes after a spirited drive.

3 hours ago, Nobbie said:

Is this still an issue on newer cars? I thought it was only an issue on old school turbos where the oils weren’t up to spec and the installations not particularly refined. I’d be doubtful of Porsche producing a modern mass market sports car that you need to idle for a couple of minutes after a spirited drive.

I’m not sure what porsche (or anyone else) can put in place to mitigate this?  Sure I imagine that turbo manufacturing techniques, and oil delivery are likely improved from 20/30 years,  but they still (as far as I know) use engine oil to cool the turbo. The turbos get extremely hot under load and if no oil circulation then clearly the oil that is there will become  very hot. mobil 1 is supposed to be ok to 260C. As far as I can tell turbos can easily get up to 1000C. So unless the oil pump is kept running for  period after turning off I think I would always be inclined to idle for a minute after any sort of turbo load before switching off.  

Warming up is just a slightly more pronounced issue that applies to thrashing any car from cold.

At the Porsche experience centre at Silverstone, they didn't give a monkeys about cooling the 718 when I went for a drive there. Just jump in, drive hard, park up and go to lunch.

13 minutes ago, CMA said:

At the Porsche experience centre at Silverstone, they didn't give a monkeys about cooling the 718 when I went for a drive there. Just jump in, drive hard, park up and go to lunch.

Just don't leave the hand brake on 🤫

I've also heard of a water pump failure on a 2017 718S recently.  The cooling system is highly complicated, and a nightmare to bleed (I am told). There are a couple of updates to the header tank filler neck and level sensor on pre 2018 cars too.

Edited by Richard Hamilton

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/16/2020 at 1:34 PM, Greenman said:

I’m not sure what porsche (or anyone else) can put in place to mitigate this?  Sure I imagine that turbo manufacturing techniques, and oil delivery are likely improved from 20/30 years,  but they still (as far as I know) use engine oil to cool the turbo. The turbos get extremely hot under load and if no oil circulation then clearly the oil that is there will become  very hot. mobil 1 is supposed to be ok to 260C. As far as I can tell turbos can easily get up to 1000C. So unless the oil pump is kept running for  period after turning off I think I would always be inclined to idle for a minute after any sort of turbo load before switching off.  

Warming up is just a slightly more pronounced issue that applies to thrashing any car from cold.

Oil is only used to lubricate the bearing and sometimes waters used to cool the turbo and/or speed up heating the water for the engine from cold, Uswd to remove the water cooling on Cosworths to prevent overloading the cooling system especially on track .....