718 Spyder

AndyI1

I met up with my local Porsche group last weekend and one of the guys turned up in his Miami blue 718 spyder........he loves it and is well known to go through Porsches every few months.....in the past 6 months he’s had a GT3RS and 992 convertible but reckons he will keep this one until next year at least..........they do look the business especially in the brighter colours ........we tend to give them them a hammering when exiting and it did sound more muted than I expected.......he reckons it sounds great in the cabin however.......It does appear that all of the extra legislation has changed the nature of the engine note though which was disappointing.......it was up against some stiff competition however with a Performonte and 488 stradale winning the oral stakes..............I asked him about the roof and he said its a matter of getting used to the technique and using the weight of the hood to do the work........I still can;t be bothered getting in and out the car to do it though ......the weather had been mixed on the way there and I had my roof up and down a few times (I went in the boxster) which I know I would not have in a spyder which rather defeats the object to me.........I’m hoping to get a chance to drive one soon but just can;t get past the manual roof.

Not an owner but would love one of these..... when the PDK version comes out. Still a fan of the 981 version and looked at a yellow one in my local Porsche opc last week but the gearbox as good as it is puts me off.

One thing is though I would not be ordering it in pebble, there is 718 Spyder local to me and it looks diabolical.

9 hours ago, Jonttt said:

.we tend to give them them a hammering when exiting and it did sound more muted than I expected.......he reckons it sounds great in the cabin however.......It does appear that all of the extra legislation has changed the nature of the engine note though which was disappointing.......

I think you are correct ref the sound judging by the amount of new GT4 owners looking at exhaust options.

Had a new green gts 4.0 boot it passed a bikers meet and sound wise very muted indeed.

The 718 spyder is a completely different car to the GTS.......its much closer to the GT4 than the GTS .......nb the 981 spyder had a different engine to the GTS but did not have the GT underpinnings of a GT car, the 718 does)

Jonttt - Do you know the name of the guy with the Miami Blue Spyder? It sounds as though it could Roger Bailey who has done a few interesting videos of his Miami Blue Spyder on You Tube and has had a number of Porsches. He lives somewhere on the Wirral. The generally held view seems to be that the particulate filters fitted to meet the latest emissions regulations have had some effect on the exhaust sound track but there is nothing to beat meeting someone who has one. The manual roof clearly is a bit of pain. No point considering one if you can't accept the compromise........and there is now the new GTS..

Not sure I agree with that being "balanced", more an opinion by someone that likes anything with a Porsche badge on it.

He likes everything, yet his 718 Spyder NA engine comments contradict all his 718 4 cylinder comments!

On 8/6/2020 at 11:04 PM, AndyI1 said:

Jonttt - Do you know the name of the guy with the Miami Blue Spyder? It sounds as though it could Roger Bailey who has done a few interesting videos of his Miami Blue Spyder on You Tube and has had a number of Porsches. He lives somewhere on the Wirral. The generally held view seems to be that the particulate filters fitted to meet the latest emissions regulations have had some effect on the exhaust sound track but there is nothing to beat meeting someone who has one. The manual roof clearly is a bit of pain. No point considering one if you can't accept the compromise........and there is now the new GTS..

No its not Roger Bailey......his name is Harrie.............there is (or was last week) one for sale at Preston.......a couple of mates where trying to organise tests drives but not had chance to catch up with them........they have got build slots but are concerned about both the roof and sound..............nb one already as a GT3 touring, 993 C4S, 991.2GTS and Macan turbo ......he is torn between a GT4 or Spyder....likes the idea of a convertible but really wants a GT4RS slot but even with his current garage can’t get one......first world problems eh.......I’ve told him to get a 981 GTS boxster.......he will have more fun in that and he can get used to a mid engine car as he has never had one.......for him he could run it for 6 months and lose relative peanuts and take up the Spyder delivery with more certainty its what he wants......

I have just taken the plunge and ordered a 718 Spyder due for delivery in November, having had a 987S for 7 years followed by a 981S for the last 2 years. It will be the first new Porsche I've bought so I don't have the spend profile that seems to be normally needed to get the opportunity to buy one of these low volume cars. I've just seem to have been incredibly lucky. I'm completely outside my comfort zone as I've never bought a car before without test driving it first. Having agonised about the decision I eventually decided that if I didn't take advantage of the opportunity I'd never get the chance again. The roof will be a pain but I think I can live with it, yes there are questions about the sound, but having watched about every Spyder video on you tube, opinions on that vary, and yes there is a new 4.0GTS now available. I bought my first Boxster after finally realising it's a decision of the heart and not the head and this purchase is probably exactly the same. Most Porsche enthusiasts will probably understand that even if the rest of the world doesn't!

10 hours ago, AndyI1 said:

I have just taken the plunge and ordered a 718 Spyder due for delivery in November, having had a 987S for 7 years followed by a 981S for the last 2 years. It will be the first new Porsche I've bought so I don't have the spend profile that seems to be normally needed to get the opportunity to buy one of these low volume cars. I've just seem to have been incredibly lucky. I'm completely outside my comfort zone as I've never bought a car before without test driving it first. 

Good for you.

I bought my Boxster without driving it, or any other Boxster, in fact without even sitting in it or any other Boxster. I flew 2 hours to get it and spent 3 days driving it back. And 11 years later - I love it.

I have had the opportunity to have been offered both the gt4 and sypder but im after the pdk really so waiting for that to be released before i make desision on either 1 of those the gts 4.0 or a 911 the later unlikely to be new. 

Down side is the expected price increase for 2021 models and the possible 10 % import levee ?

Exciting is probably something of an understatement! November seems a long way off.

I've gone for GT Silver Metallic with the standard Spyder wheels in silver. Inside is leather/alcantara with a red stitching option reminicent of an internal finish available in the 981GTS.

1 hour ago, AndyI1 said:

Exciting is probably something of an understatement! November seems a long way off.

I've gone for GT Silver Metallic with the standard Spyder wheels in silver. Inside is leather/alcantara with a red stitching option reminicent of an internal finish available in the 981GTS.

Need to start a countdown - good colour choice

I’ve got the 718 GT4 and the exhaust and engine sound do improve after about 1k miles, still a long way off the 981 GT4 sound but an improvement. 
im probably one of the few who will no longer be looking for an aftermarket exhaust 

• 3 weeks later...

RoddyT - I did consider the red roof as the combination with GT Silver does look good, however, eventually decided to go for the black roof which also looks good with GT Silver and was the choice I thought in the longer term would be easier to live with.

Lot's of Spyder videos available and more new ones still appearing. I've sold my 981S as selling it in November isn't the best time to be selling a convertible, so the videos are helping to bridge the ownership gap!!

Archived