Cayman 718 GTS 4.0 PDK order cancelled

JustCruzin

Apologies for having been off the grid for so long.

I am coming to the end of a 4 year PCP on my Cayman 718 S. I was seduced by the offer of a new 718 GTS 4.0 PDK which is likely to arrive in the UK in early 2021 with the PDK version having appeared on Porsche UK website last week. I did a build, sent this in, holding deposit paid.

"Sir, for Porsche to approve and go ahead with your order you must sign this Brexit document"

In a nutshell whether there is a trade deal or not the list price of this car will rise by a minimum of 10% probably more due to changes in tariffs and processing fees. By signing this I would be agreeing to cover this extra no questions asked.

I went on to challenge the sales manager as to why was the price on Porsche UKs website not being honoured and why I was not informed of this before I gave them a holding deposit. I was told that they were very much in dark about what will happen after 31st December and that they would advise me to leave the deposit with them 'just in case'.....

Suffice to say I was not the happiest bunny, refund requested. 

Thought this was worth sharing.

😷 JC

• Thanks 1

They announced a long time ago (after the independence vote) that they couldn't guarantee that the price quoted would be the price that you ended up paying.

They have to cover their asses in the event of tit for tat tariff's they have no idea what importing a car into the UK will end up costing them. 

I would simply say that if they can't guarantee the price quoted then the deals off. But then I'm quite happy to cut off my nose. 

They’re trying it on. Fair enough if there’s no trade deal as standard tariffs are 10% and the pound is likely to drop initially making imports more expensive, but if there is a trade deal then tariffs will be zero and the pound is likely to climb making imports cheaper. Sounds like heads they win, tails you lose.

😇 Sorry! Much that they are wonderful cars, Jags and Astons are just not my cup of tea. The engine is in the wrong place 😁

Now I think the deposit is refundable as long order has not formally been agreed by Stuttgart. They ask for a holding deposit of 3k made up to a minimum of 10% of the total price of the car to secure the order. I was about to do this but slammed on the brakes once I was asked to sign this Brexit letter.

What upset me was there was absolutely no mention of this until AFTER I had parted with my holding deposit. That is very wrong in my book.

In truth there's nothing wrong with my 718 S. I still love her to bits but I was seduced by the desire of a NA six cylinder engine.

Truly grateful to you all for your advice and suggestions. Fingers crossed that Porsches get cheaper in the new year 😷🤧🥵🤒🥶😵

Thats a shame. I have a new Macan coming but will arrive before the end of the year, November. I was asked to sign the 'Brexit document' on the clear understanding I can cancel the order if a tariff is applied, even if the car has been built. However as the car you ordered will not arrive until next year that won't work for you. Let's hope they sort this out!

I had a Boxster 4.0 GTS PDK on order, from last year,  but cancelled it as to be honest I didn't see the improvements over my 981 GTS worth the cost of change. Maybe the same for your current car?

Edited by JohnSyn

11 minutes ago, JohnSyn said:

I had a Boxster 4.0 GTS PDK on order, from last year,  but cancelled it as to be honest I didn't see the improvements over my 981 GTS worth the cost of change.

Wow John, when many people complain the Boxster was underpowered from Porsche so as not to compete with the 911, as you already had a 3.8 Spyder that's a really interesting statement.

2 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

Wow John, when many people complain the Boxster was underpowered from Porsche so as not to compete with the 911, as you already had a 3.8 Spyder that's a really interesting statement.

An interesting point Meno. Of course Boxsters are great fun on the twisty bits too where outright power, as opposed to road holding, isn't so much help. However I'm playing with the GTS and hope to get it up to around 375 bhp, which is the same as my 981 Spyder.The cost of these mods will be a small fraction of the cost of change to a GTS 4.O. The other thing is I've had a 991.2 GTS which was really quick but to be honest too quick to drive 'spiritedly' on our roads if you wish to retain your licence!

• Like 1

OK that's the two points I wondered about. "Worth" - yes it's nice but it's a very expensive cost to change (wasn't aware of your planned bargain mods).  And the modern dilemma that we probably didn't have in the 80s and 90s, that these cars are now simply becoming too fast for public roads, so it ends up being a bit of a p*ssing contest...

2 hours ago, JustCruzin said:

😇 Sorry! Much that they are wonderful cars, Jags and Astons are just not my cup of tea. The engine is in the wrong place 😁

No, I wouldn't have one either, it was just a suggestion. 

1 hour ago, Menoporsche said:

OK that's the two points I wondered about. "Worth" - yes it's nice but it's a very expensive cost to change (wasn't aware of your planned bargain mods).  And the modern dilemma that we probably didn't have in the 80s and 90s, that these cars are now simply becoming too fast for public roads, so it ends up being a bit of a p*ssing contest...

Absolutely Meno!

2 hours ago, JohnSyn said:

I had a Boxster 4.0 GTS PDK on order, from last year,  but cancelled it as to be honest I didn't see the improvements over my 981 GTS worth the cost of change. Maybe the same for your current car?

Totally agree. The differences are small. I have never owned or driven a six pot Box/Cayman. Perhaps I should be looking at the 981s? 

"The Power of the Dark Side" as said by Vader. Seduction of six. Very much a p*ssing contest! 😁

12 minutes ago, JustCruzin said:

Perhaps I should be looking at the 981s? 

Certainly worth a look if you are up for buying a used car. Without doubt the 718 will have some things better than the 981 but you may well find it's what you want.  

39 minutes ago, JustCruzin said:

"The Power of the Dark Side" as said by Vader. Seduction of six. Very much a p*ssing contest! 😁

Oh hell yeah.  We have argued here for 15 years about the pros and cons of the early 2.5 vs the 2.7 vs the 2.9 vs the 3.2 vs the 3.4.  And you know the one thing that finally united pretty much everyone? Take two cylinders away...

• Like 1

Oh hell yeah.  We have argued here for 15 years about the pros and cons of the early 2.5 vs the 2.7 vs the 2.9 vs the 3.2 vs the 3.4.  And you know the one thing that finally united pretty much everyone? Take two cylinders away...

Is this is known as Sixual Healing?

23 hours ago, topradio said:

They announced a long time ago (after the independence vote) that they couldn't guarantee that the price quoted would be the price that you ended up paying.

They have to cover their asses in the event of tit for tat tariff's they have no idea what importing a car into the UK will end up costing them. 

At worst it will cost them 10% of the wholesale price in duty + VAT on that - the 10% is exactly the same as they have to pay when cars are shipped all the way to the US and sold at a cheaper price than the UK or Europe. ;) 

All car companies will charge whatever the market will stand.  We all remember when S. Korea got a trade agreement and the price of all Kias dropped by 10%, don't we? :lol:  

11 minutes ago, Araf said:

At worst it will cost them 10% of the wholesale price in duty + VAT on that - the 10% is exactly the same as they have to pay when cars are shipped all the way to the US and sold at a cheaper price than the UK or Europe. ;) 

All car companies will charge whatever the market will stand.  We all remember when S. Korea got a trade agreement and the price of all Kias dropped by 10%, don't we? :lol:  

Are Porsche cars cheaper in the US? I didn't know that.

A while ago we did a bit of a straw poll on here and it seemed that the UK had some of the lowest prices for the cars in Europe (as was)