Unusually low mileage 718 Boxster, potential purchase

Oldskool

8 minutes ago, Oldskool said:

Carrera white , 2 owners and less than 3000 miles. PDK. Some nice bits and pieces around the 43k figure. 

that seems a "normal" car, I can see one owner buying and polishing and getting bored after a summer - but 2? - that's a bit odd 

Unless it was a demonstrator, OPC had it - put 1K miles on it in a year, sold it on, new owner put 2k on it traded it back for something else.....

From a dealer it wouldn't worry me if I liked the car - I wouldn't pay a big premium for 3K miles -  I would expect similar pricing to the same car with 10K for example - but if it ticks all the boxes and had the toys you want - then it comes with 2 years warranty - and you can happily clock up 1000's of miles and still have an average mileage car at the end.

but I would ask for some background

its likely to have only had one service at 2 years - minor (oil and filter) plus brake fluid, other than than - push for a new battery - porsche oem batteries are rubbish and expensive - and unless its been on a trickle charger for 3 years , it might be a bit suspect - porsche warranty doesn't cover battery so could come bite you and no porsche brakes do well just sat around - so make a fuss on test drive about "slight judder and lack of bite" - depends on if its been stored inside in the dry or in a barn under a cover - but the inside faces of 987 brakes are prone to rusting up (maybe true for 718)  my 987.2 - 2011 car had only 18K miles on it in December last year when I found it - and its had a new set of (front) discs in its life prior to that  - but all are showing signs of corrosion on the inner face due to too gentle previous ownership ( I am fixing that). 

Otherwise - it's a brand new car for 2/3 price - so what's not to like :)

Thanks for the info. I will also ask them to hard wire a charge lead for me as it won’t be used much over the winter. Especially if lock down for COVID comes back.... . Also as it is a 2017 car the luxury car tax has had some of the years gone without the mileage being clocked up. If we didn’t use our Z4 the roof played up when the battery got low. 

CTEK is a good choice for smart charger - wiring in should be easy to battery +ve and near the "charge connection" -ve. Porsche resell the ctek chargers as their own - so good wiggle room to get one of those thrown in - Boxstera  don't do well on low battery conditions - weird stuff happens, so good call. Mine lives on a ctek if I know I am not using it for a week or so - unnecessary but it's garaged and i use the ciggy lighter connection on mine - it's the work of seconds to connect an disconnect, so why not.

14 hours ago, Oldskool said:

Thanks for the info. I will also ask them to hard wire a charge lead for me as it won’t be used much over the winter. Especially if lock down for COVID comes back.... . Also as it is a 2017 car the luxury car tax has had some of the years gone without the mileage being clocked up. If we didn’t use our Z4 the roof played up when the battery got low. 

The over 40k car tax supplement is for 5 years so still valid.

Porsche cars do seem to have had alot of owners in the first few years of its life. Seems to be the norm.lots of reasons maybe buying car to get on a list for a limited car etc etc

Yep mine had already had 2 owners when I bought it - can see why someone (with the funds) would have changed it to get some extras that is is missing - Sport Chrono, folding mirrors, PDLS Plus, climate control - so that could explain the 2 owners in a short period of time.

I checked the history of mine matched what I was told by the OPC as the V5 still had previous keeper details - thankfully the OPC told me the truth!

Thanks Mikeyv60. Yes I realise that we have another couple of years luxtax to pay,  hopefully it looks like a new car but we will have 3 years less luxtax to pay.... .RoddyT , we will have to see what the car has regarding extras and what spec has been purchased. Top advice from all forum members, the info here is valuable when looking to purchase our first Porsche , many thanks. 

My 986S was bought from a dealer at 3 years old and 2k on the clock. Apart from the battery as mentioned above, nothing went wrong in the 11 years that I had it thereafter - except the rear boot mechanism wouldn't play, but they fixed that under warranty (?). Well, I didn't pay for it. Oh and the roof squeaked for a while. Took them a few days to fix that one.

Well , I drove it and its just about perfect in every way....But can I justify buying it now when it will sit in the garage for the next 6 months through the cr*p weather and then when we are locked down again it won’t be driven next year. Ooh , decisions decisions...! Thanks for the responses received.

On 9/15/2020 at 10:21 PM, Paul P said:

From a dealer it wouldn't worry me if I liked the car - I wouldn't pay a big premium for 3K miles -  I would expect similar pricing to the same car with 10K for examplel

Agree with this 100%. It’s not a GT or Halo car its a large production car thus depreciates just the same as all ‘normal’ cars, don’t let them pull the mileage  game otherwise look to buy ‘new’ for not a lot more and at least you know the history.

1 hour ago, Oldskool said:

Well , I drove it and its just about perfect in every way....But can I justify buying it now when it will sit in the garage for the next 6 months through the cr*p weather and then when we are locked down again it won’t be driven next year. Ooh , decisions decisions...! Thanks for the responses received.

Bought it yet ? It's been a hour 🙃

The amount of purchasing help on here is endless.

Munchausen's Porsche by proxy.

• Haha 2

Why sit it in your garage for the winter months? 
Nothing wrong with driving it 12 months a year, unless we get hit with some serious snow. OK, you may not get the roof down so often, but even with the top up, it’s a great drivers car.

I certainly wouldn’t let the time of year stop me from buying a soft top. Actually, that may be one of the reasons for the sale, as they’re slower to sell this time of year & so maybe a bit of a bargain to be had! Strike while the iron is hot.

Edited by Manicatel

• 4 months later...

Evening all. Well I didn’t buy the one I found back in September. Will start looking again now that the second lockdown looks to be on the way out and we will actually  be able to drive it somewhere.... I think that used prices are going up. My PCP on the Z4 ends this month and we have a good bit of equity in it which is great news and makes the purchase easier .  Watch this space ! 

4 hours ago, Oldskool said:

Evening all. Well I didn’t buy the one I found back in September. Will start looking again now that the second lockdown looks to be on the way out and we will actually  be able to drive it somewhere.... I think that used prices are going up. My PCP on the Z4 ends this month and we have a good bit of equity in it which is great news and makes the purchase easier .  Watch this space ! 

Shame about the car, but youve got to be sure?

Are you going to buy the z4 then sell it to release the equity?

To reap the benefit of the equity you would need to trade against another BMW as trading against other manufacturer you get rock bottom price as they would trade it on.

Classic pcp to keep you with the brand?

I’ve got a very low final payment. The car is worth more than the cost to pay it off, so I will buy it and use it as a px. Due to various reasons we didn’t do the mileage we anticipated when we took out the PCP so we’ve over paid on the purchase effectively. On speaking to the BMW dealer today he thinks second hand car values have gone up. So I gain on the swings and lose on the roundabouts...! 

12 hours ago, Oldskool said:

I’ve got a very low final payment. The car is worth more than the cost to pay it off, so I will buy it and use it as a px. Due to various reasons we didn’t do the mileage we anticipated when we took out the PCP so we’ve over paid on the purchase effectively. On speaking to the BMW dealer today he thinks second hand car values have gone up. So I gain on the swings and lose on the roundabouts...! 

Been in that position with a car on pcp,dealer said it was worth x and px was worth x too against same make. Bought car and looked at an x5 different brand part ex was lower than what i paid for it . Ended up keeping for another year as too expensive to sell privately. 

Porsche notorious for offering low part ex on other brands .

Just do your figures before you buy

Edited by MIkeyv60

• 4 months later...