I managed to own a Boxster for 1 hour before it went wrong

Bleedsoff

Just picked up my new to me 987.1 Boxster S 3.4 from the dealership. Was an exciting time! Drive home was 2 hours. 1 hour into my drive home engine warning light came on, flashing amber. The Engine Oil High temp go to service Center was on the dash, or something to that effect.  Lost power and sounded/felt like it was misfiring. Stopped as soon as it was safe to do so. Oil level had dropped a lot to the bar above minimum but no evidence on the road or under the car or a leak. 

I managed to contact the dealer who arranged to pick it up on the trailer and send me a courtesy car. Not a great day for my first day with the Boxster 🙄☹️

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

All the above not withstanding, a sensor failure?  If so (and I hope it is), simple and no reason to lose confidence.

I really hope it is something simple. 

I picked a well looked after 987 with fantastic service history imo. 

I have to give some credit to dealer for actually helping me out even tho that’s the least they should do. 

If an engine rebuild is needed it will be covered under their warranty. But hopefully it won’t come to that. 

You are entitled to reject a used car within the first 30 days if it is faulty. I’d make it clear to the dealer that you were reserving this right pending their investigation. I would worry that there is a serious underlying condition as someone I know has found on their 3.4. You don’t want to be stuck with a car going back and forth to the dealer.

Just now, PaulQ said:

I presume your not talking about borescore here.? 

No, head gasket or possibly blocked coolant passages in the head caused by water pump debris. Took a while to realise it was something serious rather than just a sensor, pump, thermostat etc.

2 minutes ago, Nobbie said:

No, head gasket or possibly blocked coolant passages in the head caused by water pump debris. Took a while to realise it was something serious rather than just a sensor, pump, thermostat etc.

I guess this is Micks car. Doesn't sound good. 

So spoke to the dealer. As they started it this morning is worked OK but acknowledge there is something wrong. 

They said they will do whatever to sort it. Their Porsche trained technician is not in till Monday so will wait till then.

Coolant temp never budged throughout the whole ordeal and the car was boroscoped checked before the sale was concluded. 

Two years ago the garage I bought my first Boxster from had a 987.1 3.4 auto in green I think for £13K. I asked if I could take it for a test drive and after we had pottered around to get the engine nice and hot he let me put my foot down. The dashboard lit up like a Christmas tree and it went in to limp home mode. I was asked to pull over and stop and then restart the engine all OK till I actually tried to pull away and again Christmas tree dashboard and limp home mode. This time dealer takes driving seat and same for him so we limp back to the garage where I'm asked if I want to leave a holding deposit till they get it fixed. Em let me think about that, NO.

3 weeks later I noticed the car was marked as sold on their web site so assumed they had fixed the fault but I had to go back about a month after that to get some warranty work on my wife's car done and there was the 3.4 in green at their repair shop. Asked the repair shop manager what the story was and someone had paid for it knowing it had a fault on the promise it would be fixed at the garages cost not a warranty claim. I should point out he put three or four expletives between each actual word so it took me a bit to work out what he was actually saying. A few months later I was back again and it was still there. Apparently it runs fine till you get it nice and hot then Christmas tree time. They said it needed a new gearbox and the garage did not want to go to that much expense. I don't know what happened to the car after that. But that's two years ago as I said.

I'm sure yours will be nothing like this but you reminded me about my first experience in a 3.4.

1 hour ago, Bleedsoff said:

So spoke to the dealer. As they started it this morning is worked OK but acknowledge there is something wrong. 

They said they will do whatever to sort it. Their Porsche trained technician is not in till Monday so will wait till then.

Coolant temp never budged throughout the whole ordeal and the car was boroscoped checked before the sale was concluded. 

Could be oil cooler, they can fail and don’t always mix the oil and water

Archived