I managed to own a Boxster for 1 hour before it went wrong

Bleedsoff

4 minutes ago, Mattman42 said:

Owned a Laguna, once - pile of shyate

borrowed a 2001 Clio for a few weeks between cars, reinforced the opinion provided by the Laguna 

A friend had one - used to shout it's fault messages at him in French, which was nice.

I seem to remember he had a nice courtesy car when it was in the garage too one time, I'll let him tell you about that 🙃

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

Fibreglass body weren’t they? Ex landlord had one (1988!). A design profitably stolen from Chevrolet or similar, IIRC. 

IIRC it was designed by Matra who also sold/licenced the concept to one of the US manufacturers.

1 hour ago, iborguk said:

A friend had one - used to shout it's fault messages at him in French, which was nice.

I seem to remember he had a nice courtesy car when it was in the garage too one time, I'll let him tell you about that 🙃

it’s was a safrane. 3 litre v6 made of Camembert and old baguettes 

There’s nothing wrong with a turquoise Kia pride with white wall tyres and “surfer dude” stickers on the side.  Except @iborgukcouldn’t breathe for laughing when he saw me in it. 

it was better than a car that would shout “Merde.  attention.  votre boîte de vitesses est défectueuse.“ at 90 on the M25. 

31 minutes ago, Paul P said:

There’s nothing wrong with a turquoise Kia pride with white wall tyres and “surfer dude” stickers on the side.  Except @iborgukcouldn’t breathe for laughing when he saw me in it. 

it was better than a car that would shout “Merde.  attention.  votre boîte de vitesses est défectueuse.“ at 90 on the M25. 

Pardon moi, my mistake.
It was French mind.

Aurevoir !

🧑‍🎨

1 minute ago, iborguk said:

Pardon moi, my mistake.
It was French mind.

Aurevoir !

🧑‍🎨

It was VERY French.  If it could have shrugged when you started it or lit up a gauloise it would have done. 

my favourite was when it rotted the fuel filler pipe that ran all the way across the back of the car.   Lowest point was just above the cats. So it would drip fuel onto hot exhausts when filling.  When I mentioned the fuel smell when filling it to the dealers when I bought it in for a service they ran outside and moved it away from all the other cars. 

14 weeks later I was still waiting for the parts.   In the end, they told me it was available in dealers in France only.  I did a booze cruise day to Calais.  Went in and picked up the hose from a dealer about 30 mins from the port  

15 hours ago, Paul P said:

or...
Double merde! vous avez besoin d'un nouvel embrayage - essayez du camembert

On 9/18/2020 at 2:20 PM, Bleedsoff said:

Coolant temp never budged throughout the whole ordeal and the car was boroscoped checked before the sale was concluded. 

By who, the garage you bought it from or an independent?

24 minutes ago, the baron said:

I think that might say it all

Why would you think that? They have a good reputation from what I researched and even in this forum they are highly regarded. So I don’t doubt their PDI inspection. I saw the photos. I have copies etc. 

From what I understand this is not a bore score issue not really got the signs of bore score. No black smoke, no sooty exhausts, no ticking etc. It’s was a problem that happened from one second to the next with no warning. 

2 hours ago, Bleedsoff said:

Why would you think that? They have a good reputation from what I researched and even in this forum they are highly regarded. So I don’t doubt their PDI inspection. I saw the photos. I have copies etc. 

From what I understand this is not a bore score issue not really got the signs of bore score. No black smoke, no sooty exhausts, no ticking etc. It’s was a problem that happened from one second to the next with no warning. 

Good luck with getting it sorted. If it were me I’d see what they say and make an informed decision from there.

Just an opinion , feel free to ignore. 

21 minutes ago, iborguk said:

Good luck with getting it sorted. If it were me I’d see what they say and make an informed decision from there.

Just an opinion , feel free to ignore. 

That’s the way I’m going to go I think. 

its Maundrelles 

18 minutes ago, Bleedsoff said:

That’s the way I’m going to go I think. 

its Maundrelles 

@Bleedsoff - I bought my car from them, had an issue with the GPS unit on the way home, they took it straight back and when their team couldn’t fix it, they sent it straight to Reading OPC, no quibbles or issues, couldn’t fault them. Hopefully they will give you the same type of service. 

this is when a dealer makes or breaks a reputation, nothing to do with the sale or how shiny the car is, but the after service. 

Good luck

3 hours ago, Bleedsoff said:

Im not suggesting its bore score, but I would always feel more comfortable with an independent inspection, as you know corners won't be cut or hidden, not saying the the garage in question would do that, and I don't even know who the garage is, its just my opinion.

So update on the car this morning.

The dealership called me and said their Porsche technician has confirmed there is a oil level sensor fault. The car oil level has changed significantly over the weekend and with the car standing idle. That would explain the loss in oil I had over a short period of time. They are confirming with Porsche whether the sensor car also does temperature to try explain the oil high temp warning. They said the sensor itself has 4 wires coming out and this has lead them to think it does both level and temp. 

In regards to how much oil is in the car it was fully serviced in July so would have had an oil change then. 

To replace the oil level sensor may require the engine to be removed which they’ll have to do. They are unsure as they have not done it on a Boxster yet. They have on 911s. 

In regards to the mis fire/limp mode they are still investigating. They will contact me again with any updates. 

1 hour ago, Bleedsoff said:

So update on the car this morning.

The dealership called me and said their Porsche technician has confirmed there is a oil level sensor fault. The car oil level has changed significantly over the weekend and with the car standing idle. That would explain the loss in oil I had over a short period of time. They are confirming with Porsche whether the sensor car also does temperature to try explain the oil high temp warning. They said the sensor itself has 4 wires coming out and this has lead them to think it does both level and temp. 

In regards to how much oil is in the car it was fully serviced in July so would have had an oil change then. 

To replace the oil level sensor may require the engine to be removed which they’ll have to do. They are unsure as they have not done it on a Boxster yet. They have on 911s. 

In regards to the mis fire/limp mode they are still investigating. They will contact me again with any updates. 

Doesn't sound like you will be getting the car back soon then, but at least they are doing it properly and not just changing small items and giving it back to you.

Hope you have got a loan car out of them while yours is in the garage

17 minutes ago, That986 said:

This is the point where i would be asking for my money back and running. 

I would say it depends on how they handle this issue. If it's a small issue that they resolve fully then it may yet turn out to be a good'n.

You have 30 days to reject the car from the purchase date so I'm assuming you're not under pressure yet.

It's extremely bad luck but the timing is lucky. It could have happened on day 32 of ownership. You'd still have a warranty from the dealer for 6 months but no right to cancel the purchase. The fact that you still can cancel should add to their incentive to get it fixed.

19 minutes ago, dim33 said:

I would say it depends on how they handle this issue. If it's a small issue that they resolve fully then it may yet turn out to be a good'n.

You have 30 days to reject the car from the purchase date so I'm assuming you're not under pressure yet.

It's extremely bad luck but the timing is lucky. It could have happened on day 32 of ownership. You'd still have a warranty from the dealer for 6 months but no right to cancel the purchase. The fact that you still can cancel should add to their incentive to get it fixed.

Yea if its a sensor problem I don't really see the for taking the car back. I mean many senors fail in cars. 

Dealership are what I can tell doing a good job so far. 

Archived