I managed to own a Boxster for 1 hour before it went wrong

Bleedsoff

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Bleedsoff said:

Reason? 

That oil sensor could have been dicky for some time and showing levels that weren't there or vice versa. IF that car has been run for any length of time without the proper amount of oil in there i would be VERY surprised if there isn't damage elsewhere. 

There are plenty of other boxsters out there. Take the emotion out of the transaction, get your money back and walk away. 

1 hour ago, That986 said:

That oil sensor could have been dicky for some time and showing levels that weren't there or vice versa. IF that car has been run for any length of time without the proper amount of oil in there i would be VERY surprised if there isn't damage elsewhere. 

There are plenty of other boxsters out there. Take the emotion out of the transaction, get your money back and walk away. 

Potentially the best advice you might get, and something I would personally take  heed of. Boxsters aren't rare, so no need tp have to start off with a headache as a new owner.

Got to agree. I’d be asking for my money back unless they have another 987 they can swap you into as an alternative?

Car could be fine and dandy afterwards but let someone else have that pleasure, I recon you’ll be worrying everytime you start it up. 

I'm going to offer a contrasting opinion and say that sh1t happens and it sounds like the dealership are managing it (and you) in a very professional way. It's super annoying but if you like the car and trust in their abilities/diagnosis then give them the benefit of the doubt and let them fix it.

Obviously it's not ideal but if it really is just a sensor I wouldn't be too concerned PLUS this way you are going to get a free oil change :)

To replace the oil level sensor may require the engine to be removed which they’ll have to do.

😳

If it’s just the sensor, then I wouldn’t be too worried. If they’re taking the engine out to do it, it might be worth thinking about any additional work they could do while it’s out. A clutch could be a good call depending on mileage.

Sounds like the are treating this appropriately and doing the right thing. 

but.  (2ps) worth. A few years ago I bought a Renault safrane from a dealer.  Within a week it overheated.  Was diagnosed at Renault as having a failed head gasket (v6 so two heads) and a horrendous labour cost associated. and the supplying dealer paid up to have it fixed.  Along with a failed cat and some questionable brakes.  Cost them more than 50% of what I had just paid.  

fast forward 12 months   It was out of warranty and the gaskets went again   Ended up more or less dumping the car  yes  it’s was a Renault made of cheese and yes the heads were a weak spot but forever it nagged me that I could / should have just thrown it back to them  

if it was me then I would be more comfortable if there’s was less “might be” and more “ is definitely” and I would be suggesting to them that whatever warranty they were offering that they double it   If they don’t have confidence in the car to take that risk then neither should you  

as ever   Just opinions   Do what feels right and it could be a brilliant car with just this issue  

go with your gut  

If this was a brand new tv and after a day it would just randomly switch off you'd be taking it back, getting your money and buying something else. The only difference here is cars tend to get emotions involved, take that out of it and the sensible thing is to do the above.

It could just be the sensor or it could be a complete lemon and personally i wouldn't throw my hard-earned at that risk. 

So on advice here and generally thinking how I feel about it all. I am not going to return the car. Even if the problem is not huge etc I will always be asking what if and slightly anxious.

I am going to give Maundrells huge credit. They have done everything I wanted no questions asked. Given me a courtesy car etc. 

6 minutes ago, Bleedsoff said:

I am not going to return the car. Even if the problem is not huge etc I will always be asking what if and slightly anxious.

?

Are you sure you meant to type 'not'?

I've never dealt with them but always had the impression Maundrell were one of the good guys.

Just now, minimoog said:

?

Are you sure you meant to type 'not'?

I've never dealt with them but always had the impression Maundrell were one of the good guys.

yea mis typed. I am returning the car! Did it on my phone not sure where the edit function is 

Just now, Bleedsoff said:

yea mis typed. I am returning the car! Did it on my phone not sure where the edit function is 

In that case it's real pity but it's probably for the best, peace of mind-wise. Depending on your outlook on these things there can be enough unfounded Porsche Paranoia to keep you on edge during ownership without adding the founded kind too.

Have you had the conversation with them yet i.e. do you know if they will accept or argue a return?

1 hour ago, minimoog said:

In that case it's real pity but it's probably for the best, peace of mind-wise. Depending on your outlook on these things there can be enough unfounded Porsche Paranoia to keep you on edge during ownership without adding the founded kind too.

Have you had the conversation with them yet i.e. do you know if they will accept or argue a return?

I sent an email this morning. Got a call a couple of hours later. No quibble at all. They said they perfectly understand and they want to make me happy. Top service I have to say. 

Fantastic service by Maundrell's that will only enhance their reputation.

You absolutely are doing the right thing, as you know it would always be in the back of your mind and quite simply, why take the risk no matter how small?

17 minutes ago, moneypit said:

Seems like everyone's done the right thing here, a rare victory for common sense and decency. Hope you end up with a trouble free, great car after an unfortunate false start.

+1

2 hours ago, moneypit said:

Seems like everyone's done the right thing here, a rare victory for common sense and decency. Hope you end up with a trouble free, great car after an unfortunate false start.

Well said and good luck with the search @Bleedsoff. I’m one month into my first Boxter and absolutely loving it.

1 hour ago, Simon. said:

Brilliant by the dealers. That’s the way to deal with a problem and hopefully they have another car come up you’re interested in. They’d get my vote if in the market. 

Yes, but do you want to buy that car from them.  Knowing my luck I decide to upgrade to change to a 987, buy that car and then find that latent problem the expensive way.  That said there may well be no issue at all.  Just some Porsche paranoia like waiting for your IMSB to implode even though the stats suggest it probably won't.

Archived