Passenger airbag deactivation

Mr Cooper

Hello all,

My first post on here as I research and look for my entry into the Porsche world.

Im looking to get an 05/06 987 2.7 and need to be able to turn off the passenger airbag for when my 4-year old comes out with me.

Looking at a car today, there wasn’t an option to do this on the car, like most with a switch on the end of the dash.

The manual illustrated the switch. But was it an optional extra?

Is it commonly found on examples?

Is there another way to deactivate when needed?

Thanks!

12 hours ago, Mr Cooper said:

Hello all,

My first post on here as I research and look for my entry into the Porsche world.

Im looking to get an 05/06 987 2.7 and need to be able to turn off the passenger airbag for when my 4-year old comes out with me.

Looking at a car today, there wasn’t an option to do this on the car, like most with a switch on the end of the dash.

The manual illustrated the switch. But was it an optional extra?

Is it commonly found on examples?

Is there another way to deactivate when needed?

Thanks!

Welcome. Just had a look in my handbook which states the key switch and airbag off light were not factory installed but could be retrofitted by dealership. My 06 2.7 doesn't have them and i guess there won't be many that do, given it's a sports car.

It's an optional extra and I think not often specced.  Some have had thoughts like you and paid to retrofit it.

There used to be a magic underseat bar / seat buckle combo, then somewhere around 2006/7 it changed to a weight sensor in the seat for auto on/off. I don't know when was the changeover.  Someone just paid for it here a few months ago ISTR.

Controversial statement - I think no law says you have to deactivate the seatbelt for a front facing child seat, only for a rear facing one.  Put the seat all the way back, to minimise airbag reach, and off you go.

Thanks both, it’s ok for 6+ year olds whereas most cars state a min. height.

Managed to find the OEM kit on eBay for £215, and it looks pretty basic to install, even DIY, but I think I’d rather entrust an ind. garage to sort. Just pleased it can be done.

was certainly an option in the gen 2 987 - 1st one didn't have it (nor the isofix mounts in the seat), current one does - isofix, kwy switch on end of dash and warning light/panel in the centre console.

Just now, Mr Cooper said:

Thanks both, it’s ok for 6+ year olds whereas most cars state a min. height.

Managed to find the OEM kit on eBay for £215, and it looks pretty basic to install, even DIY, but I think I’d rather entrust an ind. garage to sort. Just pleased it can be done.

Bit of general advice - always check with Porsche dealer on their price to retrofit stuff (and for general parts etc) they often offer some discount for porsche club membership ( and rarely check if you are actually a member). There are some great Indy's out there who may well be cheaper, and there are a number out there that are not so great and not so cheap - so baseline the cost of anything special against porsche 1st.

one example - cruise retrofit - 4 indy's asked, 3 bothered to reply, one said "get the bits and I will fit it - about 300 quid labour - parts were about 200 but he wouldn't order them from porsche because "you know what they are like"!  , the other 2 - 500 or 650..... Porsche quoted me 450 supply and fitted with a courtesy car......

On 9/19/2020 at 3:29 PM, Paul P said:

was certainly an option in the gen 2 987 - 1st one didn't have it

987.1 3.2S 2006 with deactivate key switch at end of dash with passenger door open, not sure about isofix, think that came a bit later.... 🙂

Archived