Steering Lock for 718 Boxster

GulNawaz

They're coming back into fashion as a physical barrier to theft.  I used to know a guy who split up with his wife and she took the Mercedes.  She parked it on the street with a Krooklok so he bought one to see how long it took to cut through. Apparently it only took him 20 seconds on the test but a lot longer with the alarm going off!  He got the car back though. 

Check out the Stoplock Pro Elite to see if it fits. I have one on the Boxster when it's garaged. A determined thief who's prepared will get through it (see above!) but it (hopefully) acts as a deterrent to a 'sneak thief'.

9 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

I have an 18v battery powered angle grinder. Not quiet but relatively portable for that (if planned, not opportune). 

Those battery powered angle grinders are amazing, no lock is safe.  That' why we shroud locks with a heavy steel cover that you can't get the cutting wheel past.  Not infallible but it does slow them down or deter them altogether.

Or another way to break a lock, might not do the car any good though.

• 2 weeks later...

Steering locks used to be used widely back in 90s, but they weren’t particularly effective because thief’s went equipped to defeat them. The disk lock type (that covered the whole wheel) were the most effective as you couldn’t just cut through the steering wheel to defeat them.  

Now however thief’s go equipped with the electronics to defeat the alarm/immobiliser/keyless entry systems, not so much steering locks, so if fitted it’s another type of obstacle they have to overcome and as they aren’t used so widely (though becoming wider) they aren’t so adept at removing them easily.

I use one on our transit van which only gets used once a week and are more widely stolen than Boxsters.

Archived