986 race car project build

JazH

Hey all, just joined the forum so I figured I'd make a quick post to say hello. Just picked up a '51 Boxster S very cheaply, which is going to be a race car build project for us. Currently she's not running (engine is coming out next week when we get her in the workshop) and I'll probably document the rebuild here somewhere if people are keen on that sort of thing. Cannot believe how good the interior condition is, I feel bad stripping it all out! Anyway, more posts to come from me so here are some photos to start things off (including a bonus one of my daily 718 Cayman).

WhatsApp Image 2020-09-21 at 09.13.21.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-09-21 at 09.13.22.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-09-21 at 18.09.37.jpeg

• Like 1

Good luck!

Will look forward to your progress. I kinda started out like that, but then couldn't bring myself to tear it apart and ended up adding it to the stable instead and trying to get it as nice as possible!

As you go it would be great to know the weight of everything you remove- just incase I change my mind, again.

Like your daily. Very smart.

AaS

Interested in seeing the engine rebuild photos! Please post these.

Did you know that Orange lights weigh less than clear, so i am willing to swap you my lights for yours 😉

On a serious note, if you do strip the interior, i could do with a few bits, so please post on here. You could raise some serious money with the parts you will remove for your track car.

3 hours ago, allatsea said:

Like your daily. Very smart.

Cheers! Got her new in 2018, just about to tick over 9k miles now. Lovely car, really pleased with it.

3 hours ago, Lennym1984 said:

What are you planning to do to it?

Long-term plans will be endurance racing, but there are plenty of sprint series' she will be eligible for and so that'll be the plan for next season. Haven't 100% decided on what to focus on initially, but I think this is the spec I'll go for and take it from there: https://www.750mc.co.uk/formulae/calm-all-porsche-trophy.htm

2 hours ago, edc said:

Sounds like fun. What the plan and spec? What series will you race in? 

As above, will focus on sprint races initially with the All Porsche Trophy (and others) for 2021, and then look at doing some endurance with it as well in 2022 and beyond. This is why I was set on the S 3.2.

1 hour ago, Berni29 said:

I'm curious to know the ballpark price for a car like this, ie non runner possible trashed engine........

As with everything, it depends massively. I managed to win this one for £2,700. It was serviced all the way up until 2018 and the car itself is in brilliant condition for a car going on 20 year old, so I didn't mind paying a bit for a car that has what appears to be a genuine fault rather than one that's been hammered to death. Engine will hopefully need repairing/rebuilding but worse case scenario, even with a new engine to drop in, it'll still be a fair price. Best case scenario, a fixed super cheap starting point.

12 minutes ago, Rav said:

Interested in seeing the engine rebuild photos! Please post these.

On a serious note, if you do strip the interior, i could do with a few bits, so please post on here. You could raise some serious money with the parts you will remove for your track car.

Will defo post the photos. I'll keep things to this thread.

Regarding the interior, it'll all be up for sale. To be honest, the cabin as I've mentioned before was remarkably good for its age - the carpets are perfect, I guess leaking soft-tops aren't something common with a Boxster! - and so I really do think I'll be able to find a suitable buyer for most of it. All of the interior will be going, the soft top, the wheels (showing signs of age but no scuffs that I can see), the front and rear bumpers also.

EgS8tgM.jpg

MvgF4Sh.jpg

IYr2CBG.jpg

2 minutes ago, Rav said:

@JazH Are the seats heated? I have the same seats, but alas, no heating.....

What is the centre console looking like?

I'm not sure. I'll check and take some more interior photos tomorrow, but it's all really really clean and was well looked after for sure.

Edited by JazH

9 hours ago, JazH said:

All of the interior will be going, the soft top, the wheels (showing signs of age but no scuffs that I can see), the front and rear bumpers also.

Excellent project!

You have a PM.

Cheers, Baggers.

1 hour ago, JazH said:

6wBTPkH.jpg

All I have at the moment, but I will get around to getting more photos of everything ASAP!

ok, id be potentially keen as they are nicer than my ones. do you have a price in mind? i have a grey set of normal seats that you could put in or are you looking for proper racing buckets?

5 hours ago, Darren Sapsford said:

Interested in bumpers depending on where abouts you are

Will probably be a little while before these come off, but I'm based in South Wales. Shoot me a PM if you're interested. No cracks or splits in either from what I can see, but will take some more detailed photos if you're interested.

46 minutes ago, Berni29 said:

Hi

Thank you for being so open with the price you paid. Is a Boxster chassis stiff enough to race or does the roll cage fix that issue?

All the best

Berni

I'll do my best to keep a running cost total, but I'm anticipating spending around £10k total to get it race-ready including cage, etc.

43 minutes ago, Jord said:

ok, id be potentially keen as they are nicer than my ones. do you have a price in mind? i have a grey set of normal seats that you could put in or are you looking for proper racing buckets?

I already have an OMP race seat to go in so no need for replacements, thanks. As with everything, I have no idea what prices things are worth and so would rather things go to genuine owners at a fair price, so my PMs are open for offers on anything! Happy to provide more photos of anything if required.

2 hours ago, Berni29 said:

Hi

Thank you for being so open with the price you paid. Is a Boxster chassis stiff enough to race or does the roll cage fix that issue?

All the best

Berni

Have a look at the spec for some of the UK Boxster race series. They all ran with hardtops of course. 

1 hour ago, JazH said:

I already have an OMP race seat to go in so no need for replacements, thanks. As with everything, I have no idea what prices things are worth and so would rather things go to genuine owners at a fair price, so my PMs are open for offers on anything! Happy to provide more photos of anything if required.

ive shot you a PM. cheers.