986 race car project build

JazH

Interesting !

Saw some Boxsters racing at Silverstone last year, sounded great and looked pretty quick. 

Also I'd bite your arm off and sell a kidney for a ball pin for the clamshell strut to boomerang, plus the sleeves and clips that hold the struts on to the clamshell😄

But back to boxster racing..couple of pics I took.

FB_IMG_1600811888722FB_IMG_1600811881860

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hey guys. It's been a few weeks, so I thought I'd give you a little update on the project.

After finishing off some maintenance jobs on our other race car, we finally managed to get the Boxster into the workshop and started stripping her down and prepared to pull out the engine and box.

DMMAj8o.jpg

As you know the car I bought, whilst in fantastic condition inside and out (and serviced every year up until 2018) was listed as a non-runner, which is why it only cost me £2,700. We were planning on completely rebuilding the engine anyway whatever the outcome (or putting a new one in) and so we though it was worth the gamble.

zlmUpaD.jpg

Well we managed to get the engine out in the end without too much difficulty and started our journey into the unknown to figure out what was up. As you'd expect, we had suspicions it would be IMS or something like that, but truth is we had no idea until we started to break things down.

IbIMEoz.jpg

YGiSrLP.jpg

And... spot the difference. First sign of problems. Bent valves, or at least leaking from somewhere. OK, not too terrible.

MVBtvy2.jpg

HqoYXt4.jpg

And here we go. Further breakdown revealed what caused our episode with the valves. This should have a plastic guide surface on it which has worn away as you can clearly see, which in turn would max the tensioner out and move the timing. Critically, replaceable.

Further thorough investigation of the engine revealed no further damage, so at the moment, touching wood, I'm delighted with the outcome. 

wJL5T3K.jpg

This engine is known to crack around these holes, and then the water gets into the oil. These all look fine and so do the cylinder liners.

And so we can start cleaning everything thoroughly now. Couple of new valves, full rebuild and piston ring service, plus all the bearings replaced and a new clutch are our next steps.

Exciting!

Oh, and for those interested, here's the current shopping list for post-engine install:

https://gazcoilovers.com/porsche-boxster-986-gaz-gold-coilover-suspension-kit-104-p.asp

https://www.demon-tweeks.com/uk/custom-cages-multi-point-weld-in-competition-roll-cage-cucpb-06/

And these rather lovely custom made race rims from Unique Porsche:

VMui8mV.jpg

Plenty more to come of course, but these are the most immediate purchases whilst the car is still just a shell.

I'm still on the look out for a hard-top - condition or colour is not important, so please let me know if you know of any available!

Edited by JazH

13 minutes ago, EVO Chris said:

Nice rims, do they do them for the 987? What sort of wedge do they demand?

I'm not sure RE the 987, I don't see why not.

They are a re-designed version of the Revolution CR10, making it better suited for the Boxster, using the correct wheel inserts so you can still your Porsche wheel bolts or nuts. The correct ET sizes have been machined so that the use of wheel spaces to avoid damper contact isn’t required.

I'll let you know more about what they're like when I take delivery!

1 minute ago, JazH said:

I'm not sure RE the 987, I don't see why not.

They are a re-designed version of the Revolution CR10, making it better suited for the Boxster, using the correct wheel inserts so you can still your Porsche wheel bolts or nuts. The correct ET sizes have been machined so that the use of wheel spaces to avoid damper contact isn’t required.

I'll let you know more about what they're like when I take delivery!

Cheers JazH, look forward to seeing them :) 

6 hours ago, JazH said:

HqoYXt4.jpg

And here we go. Further breakdown revealed what caused our episode with the valves. This should have a plastic guide surface on it which has worn away as you can clearly see, which in turn would max the tensioner out and move the timing. Critically, replaceable.

A couple of others have found this issue I've noted.  Can you see how or why this damage would occur?  Slack chains or poorly operating tensioner or bearing wear?  I suppose the other question is where do the plastic bits end up?

Following the build with interest.

Edited by ½cwt

Ive looked online at the doors and bonnet etc many times over the years but me never mustered up the motivation to go for them.

I think if you had a rebuild project car it would make a lot of sense. 

10 hours ago, JS1500 said:

Regarding the hardtop - have a look at Club Autosport. I've not bought anything from them yet but they've been in the business a long time.

Anyone have any experience of their panels?

Thank you - I tried them and they wanted £1,000 + the cost of the glass.

44 minutes ago, JazH said:

s-l1600.jpg

Today's purchase!

Before you start the build up for real just check that the black and white pins will fit through all the liners, all the way to the furthest end of the engine.  

If the internals are stock you should be fine - but I'd check all the same.

Know this can be a problem because we bumped into this exact situation when my admittedly very non-stock motor was put back together.

Following with interest.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, map said:

Before you start the build up for real just check that the black and white pins will fit through all the liners, all the way to the furthest end of the engine.  

If the internals are stock you should be fine - but I'd check all the same.

Know this can be a problem because we bumped into this exact situation when my admittedly very non-stock motor was put back together.

Following with interest.

Thanks for the heads up!

39 minutes ago, JazH said:

Out of interest, @map, what were your engine mods? Do you race it?

I don't race it - the build was part of a long term plan (I've owned it for more than 10 years) to see how far I could push the 986 for track days and road trips without ruining it as a road car.

The upgraded motor was built to 3.7 litres to coincide with the increasing "tiredness" of the installed engine.

I had a spare 986 3.2 motor in parts which was the basis for the build - I still have the 3.2 986 engine we took out which may be built up as something interesting to go into a 996 in due course.

Currently dyno'd at 326bhp with lots of torque - it's on an interim map so a bit soft - but it is lovely to drive and there are no stability/traction control systems on the car....

Stage 2 tweaks are around induction and we should then see more than 350bhp when it's done - as if it'll ever be done 

Edited by map
Clarification