986 race car project build

JazH

9 minutes ago, JazH said:

They never are!

Should be a lovely motor once done and sounds quite punchy for an M96.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just found your post - looks awesome! I'm in the process of fitting a 996 3.4 l engine to my Boxster and plan to go through it before I swap, I'm really interested in seeing as many details from your rebuild as possible... 😃

On 10/30/2020 at 10:59 AM, JazH said:

s-l1600.jpg

Today's purchase!

I bought this exact kit today (off Ebay), are you happy with it so far?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, method said:

Just found your post - looks awesome! I'm in the process of fitting a 996 3.4 l engine to my Boxster and plan to go through it before I swap, I'm really interested in seeing as many details from your rebuild as possible... 😃

I bought this exact kit today (off Ebay), are you happy with it so far?

Thanks!

I'll let you know towards the end of this week how the kit is performing.

Latest rebuild photos:

Ggycuo5.jpg

lEJbOp4.jpg

On 12/1/2020 at 1:46 PM, method said:

Have a look here:

• Thanks 1

On 12/1/2020 at 6:05 PM, JazH said:

Thanks!

I'll let you know towards the end of this week how the kit is performing.

Latest rebuild photos:

Ggycuo5.jpg

lEJbOp4.jpg

What absolute filth!  Fantastic engineering p0rn, how did that get past the moderators @Araf ? Got to love it :thumbsup_still:

Serious question: Is that just a skim or a deeper cut to increase compression?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ½cwt said:

What absolute filth!  Fantastic engineering p0rn,

Tell me about it.  I've got to pay someone $1200 in bitcoins due to my computer webcam being hacked, while I was looking at those pictures. ;) 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Engine looks good - is it a stock rebuild?

If not what have you been able to do to maximise performance? Am thinking of porting, polishing and possibly lighter parts.....

Also interested to know If the series regs stipulate an OE flywheel rather than allowing a lighter version?

A 986 in circuit trim can give all but the very fastest aircooled cars a bit of a wake up call on track 👍

Watching with interest. 

9 minutes ago, map said:

Engine looks good - is it a stock rebuild?

If not what have you been able to do to maximise performance? Am thinking of porting, polishing and possibly lighter parts.....

Also interested to know If the series regs stipulate an OE flywheel rather than allowing a lighter version?

A 986 in circuit trim can give all but the very fastest aircooled cars a bit of a wake up call on track 👍

Watching with interest. 

Yes, keeping it stock for now and will be upgrading things as/when. I'm still not 100% decided on what series to compete in yet but most of the Porsche specific series' insist on a stock engine. The open class races are a different kettle of fish, but I plan on trying a few different race series' in 2021 and go from there.

Have enjoyed reading this thread - thanks for sharing.

A question: why wasn't the IMSB removed (and replaced) whilst the crankcase was apart (assuming the pictures in the build are roughly chronological)?

On 12/10/2020 at 12:45 PM, JazH said:

Today it's IMS removal time!

NRbwLTe.jpg

PVhXk30.jpg

The IMS bearing in here was actually completely fine. But it obviously made sense to replace it whilst we had the engine in bits anyway.

2 hours ago, K.I.T.T. said:

Have enjoyed reading this thread - thanks for sharing.

A question: why wasn't the IMSB removed (and replaced) whilst the crankcase was apart (assuming the pictures in the build are roughly chronological)?

I did wonder that?

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay in response here - has been a mad month so far!

To answer your question, a mixture of things really which mostly revolve around a bit of "making it up as we go along" having never worked on a Porsche engine before, as well as some indecisiveness around what to do with the IMS.

With it being a race car and the OG IMS being fine, we were contemplating if it was even worth changing it seeing as the race car would be having an oil change twice a month as well as a complete engine rebuild at the end of the season.

Ultimately I changed my mind and it just became yet another "whilst we're there" job, even though we'd started building the engine back up by then.

Excellent thread. Just looked through and your engine had the exact same failure as mine with the IMS chain tensioning cover snapping off. Despite all the research I'd done on the M96 engine, I'd not come across many other examples of the part failing.

Edited by Stiffkey
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Stiffkey said:

Excellent thread. Just looked through and your engine had the exact same failure as mine with the IMS chain tensioning cover snapping off. Despite all the research I'd done on the M96 engine, I'd not come across many other examples of the part failing.

Yeah I thought exactly the same thing reading back through your thread - pretty much the same throughout!

• 3 weeks later...

Bit of an update for those who are still following!

There's been quite a bit of progress since the last update - mostly that the engine has been reinstalled and is now purring away after her complete rebuild.

In more visual news...

xLOJIzN.jpg

Managed to secure a hard top locally! Cheap too, only £580!

sX1jAoC.jpg

2Qw2VoX.jpg

Replaced the entire exhaust system with this rather visually appealing de-catted solution.

C82rmB2.jpg

vlbiNqq.jpg

Started working on the suspension. Gaz Gold coilovers are due to arrive any day now!

vAwXUy9.jpg

vbbaPW1.jpg

Had my new wheels delivered. These are INSANELY lightweight!

xHqzc1N.jpg

And I finally finished refurbishing the brake callipers. What a horrid job!

• Like 1