Error Warning Lights

Graham W

Drove home after a week away in Wales (approx - 380 miles) just left the motorway and got these two error messages:

NQjgyaG.jpg

Gx1xdJ6.jpg

Got home and called Porsche Assist and they quickly had the car picked up from home by the AA and it's now at Reading for investigation under warranty.  Cars just over 2 years old with 10+k miles.  It'll be interesting to see the outcome.  Meanwhile got a Merc E class as a replacement.  Good service so far, only Porsche Reading can destroy my laid back attitude to this hiccup.

A quick update on the above error lights.

Reading diagnosed a "crank shaft sensor" error which they thought had triggered both lights and ordered a new sensor.  It arrived today and they proceeded to remove the erroneous one and fit the new one.  The technician then found a whole more mess behind the sensor and on the crankshaft where it fitted.  They now have serious concerns and are going to start removing the gear box (PDK).  They plan to update me later today.  Thank goodness for my 3 year new car warranty!

4 minutes ago, Graham W said:

A quick update on the above error lights.

Reading diagnosed a "crank shaft sensor" error which they thought had triggered both lights and ordered a new sensor.  It arrived today and they proceeded to remove the erroneous one and fit the new one.  The technician then found a whole more mess behind the sensor and on the crankshaft where it fitted.  They now have serious concerns and are going to start removing the gear box (PDK).  They plan to update me later today.  Thank goodness for my 3 year new car warranty!

😳 Be interesting to see what has happened here. Wonder if it’s new gearbox time? Porsche don’t seem to like messing with them much.

Picked up a Macan S as a replacement car today and saw the car on the lift minus the gear box.  The flywheel seems to have been the problem and is now missing some broken teeth and balancing weights.  The bell housing on the gear box looks OK and not damaged but the housing on the engine side has some broken internal casting bits.  Porsche UK & Germany have been contacted to see what needs replacing apart from the flywheel.  Reading are telling me that they've never seen anything like this before.  The saga continues. but at least I feel it's in good hands.

41 minutes ago, Graham W said:

Picked up a Macan S as a replacement car today and saw the car on the lift minus the gear box.  The flywheel seems to have been the problem and is now missing some broken teeth and balancing weights.  The bell housing on the gear box looks OK and not damaged but the housing on the engine side has some broken internal casting bits.  Porsche UK & Germany have been contacted to see what needs replacing apart from the flywheel.  Reading are telling me that they've never seen anything like this before.  The saga continues. but at least I feel it's in good hands.

Wow, that's an unusual failure, especially given the mileage. Good luck with getting it sorted.

On 9/26/2020 at 4:49 PM, Graham W said:

Wow.  Seems unusual failure but as you say.  Being dealt with properly by the sounds.  

hope it gets sorted to your absolute satisfaction and please keep the thread going with the outcome.  

Had exactly the same two fault messages on my 981S about 3 weeks ago,  idle went very rough at the same time ... felt like it was running on 3 cylinders.  Off to OPC.  on mine it was the cam solenoid on bank 1.  They replaced both sides under warranty.  Looks like I've been lucky!   Hope you get it sorted OK.

On 9/26/2020 at 4:49 PM, Graham W said:

Any update on this yet?

Does seem an unusual problem.  If there are bits of the engine casing casting broken then I guess it’s pretty much a complete engine teardown needed?  maybe the casing can easily be replaced, maybe a new engine!?

Reading OPC contacted me last Friday and informed me that they have now got all the parts thought needed by Germany to repair the car.  This obviously includes a new flywheel.  The engine casing where some of the casting marks have been scratched has not been replaced as the casting marks are just that and not integral to the strength of the unit.  I'm expecting a call early this week to pick up the car providing that nothing else is reported while the car is being rebuilt and tested.  Fingers crossed!!  Meanwhile the Macan S is performing well but boy is it thirsty!

Got my car back yesterday and all seems fine.  Below is the report and some of the costs involved.  Thank goodness it was still under warranty.  Let's hope this is the end of this saga.

TcHKuj6.jpg

Thanks for sharing.  That could have been much worse (although areanty to the rescue ) . Interesting to read the text and see how these things progress through the system.  

seems like the whole thing was handled pretty well by OPC as well.  

Archived