986 Litronics upgrade

K.I.T.T.

Have had a 986 with factory litronics, and have retrofitted them to my current 986 (and got it through its MOT), have done my own research and spoken to MOT testers, and feel I can speak with some authority on this.

On 10/25/2020 at 6:46 PM, ½cwt said:

I think retro fit of Litronic is a significant undertaking

Literally plug and play, albeit you don't get self-levelling and washers (see further below), but contrary to popular belief [and what the internet says], these aren't required for your car to be road legal, in the UK.

On 10/25/2020 at 5:24 PM, JungleGus said:

- The headlight unit is plug and play with factory 986 Litronics

Yes.

- There's a fuse that needs to be changed from 15A to 30A (20? Can't recall which one off the top of my head)

Fuses A9 and A10 need to be 15A each (they were already on my 986 equipped with halogens).

- The self levelling system with suspension sensors is a nightmare to wire in, so essentially a no go, and an MOT fail

- The non-existent headlight washers will be an MOT fail (although, easily switched out come MOT time...)

Neither of these are required for MOT. TLDR version: If a car has HID lamps and is fitted with washers and / or self-levelling device, they need to work. If your car doesn't have them, they can't be tested (hence they can't be failed).

Discussed this with my MOT tester, and have had no issues getting my 986 with retrofitted litronics through its MOT. It is worth spending £15 or whatever getting the alignment of the lamps checked, however, before you fit them.

If anyone wants to debate this:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/mot-inspection-manual-for-private-passenger-and-light-commercial-vehicles/4-lamps-reflectors-and-electrical-equipment#section-4-1-4

4.1.4. Compliance with requirements

...Existing halogen headlamp units should not be converted to be used with HID bulbs. If such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp...

The above refers to using HID bulbs in [most] reflector (ie halogen) units.

4.1.5. Levelling devices

...Vehicles with high intensity discharge (HID) or LED dipped beam headlamps may be fitted with a suspension or headlamp self-levelling system. If these systems have been fitted, they must work...

Self-explanatory.

4.1.6. Headlamp cleaning devices

You must inspect vehicles first used on or after 1 September 2009 equipped with headlamp washers.

Highlighted relevant section above, however in reality, this does not apply to the 986 due to the age of the vehicle.

Hope this is of help. I compiled a similar post, when I got into an argument with @The return of Marty Wild about this back in Jan, however he then decided to delete his thread (hence my reply) - I was rather miffed by this, as it took some time to compose.

@Araf, am not one to blow my own trumpet, but is there any chance the relevant bits could be stickied somewhere?

• Araf pinned this topic

Did this along time ago, the full electronics/self levelling is a simple and seperate loom that can be retrofitted.

The mounts are there for the sensor, both on the shell and on the suspension arm, a single run of wiring goes to the ECU mounted under the frunk. 
The washers are straightforward to fit also, either wired in correctly or through a simple relay switched through the lights. 

Well worth doing

:)

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/2/2020 at 5:22 PM, Duffy3074 said:

Did this along time ago, the full electronics/self levelling is a simple and seperate loom that can be retrofitted.

The mounts are there for the sensor, both on the shell and on the suspension arm, a single run of wiring goes to the ECU mounted under the frunk. 
The washers are straightforward to fit also, either wired in correctly or through a simple relay switched through the lights. 

Well worth doing

:)
Would you be able to provide details of the process for connecting the sensors to the ECU?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
On 10/14/2021 at 7:27 PM, MarkyRR said:

Can someone tell me please…..do litronics give much better light/spread than standard halogens?

Yes, they do. My first 986 had litronics, and my current car which has halogens were like candles in comparison.

Just remember if you do go down the litronic route, these may still have the original (15+ year old in my case) bulbs which degrade over time, or some bulbs which are simply not good quality. I replaced them with Osram Nightbreakers.

I too prefer the aesthetics of Litronics, but wouldn't swap them for looks. Purely function over form in my case. If you're just after better light output, I'd suggest trying a set of decent LEDs in place of the halogen bulbs.

I use these in another car with halogens / relectors: https://www.powerbulbs.com/product/piaa-hyper-arros-led-h7-twin

Have tested, and these will fit (including the driver) inside 986 halogens, and IMO are just as good as litronics in terms of output.

1 hour ago, K.I.T.T. said:

Yes, they do. My first 986 had litronics, and my current car which has halogens were like candles in comparison.

Just remember if you do go down the litronic route, these may still have the original (15+ year old in my case) bulbs which degrade over time, or some bulbs which are simply not good quality. I replaced them with Osram Nightbreakers.

I too prefer the aesthetics of Litronics, but wouldn't swap them for looks. Purely function over form in my case. If you're just after better light output, I'd suggest trying a set of decent LEDs in place of the halogen bulbs.

I use these in another car with halogens / relectors: https://www.powerbulbs.com/product/piaa-hyper-arros-led-h7-twin

Have tested, and these will fit (including the driver) inside 986 halogens, and IMO are just as good as litronics in terms of output.

Do those bulbs not get hotter and lead to burnt/discoloured internal lenses?

1 minute ago, the baron said:

Do those bulbs not get hotter and lead to burnt/discoloured internal lenses?

Know this is the case of some halogen bulbs, but don't think it's the case for (these) LEDs. YMMV with cheaper ones.

The headlamp lenses are cool to the touch when these have been on, and were warm with standard halogens, so I'd argue they run cooler.

Just now, K.I.T.T. said:

Know this is the case of some halogen bulbs, but don't think it's the case for (these) LEDs. YMMV with cheaper ones.

The headlamp lenses are cool to the touch when these have been on, and were warm with standard halogens, so I'd argue they run cooler.

Well that’s good to know, I might hunt out a set and try them out, thanks

The heat in LEDs is created in the electronics driving them so many come with an additional heatsink on the back as shown in the link Ash has provided.  In halogens all the heat is in the filament which is glowing white hot and is then reflected and focussed on to the front lens causing the heat damage!

• Araf unpinned this topic