condensation in headlights

the baron

Used the car in the rain yesterday this is the first time in the rain since March, car is kept garage so has been nice and dry, I noticed some condensation build up in both lights, what do people do to remedy this?

Ive had the car from new with a gap of 7yrs out of my ownership and I cant remember seeing this before.

Thoughts

I've had this before when the car wasn't used for several months over winter. I removed the lights and dried them off with a hair dryer inside the housing which sorted them.

I suspect the problem will return this winter though....perhaps the seals are just getting old.

8 hours ago, SuperPaulie said:

I'm pretty sure the headlights are not sealed units and have a vent that clears out humidity when the car moves due to the change in pressure over the vent opening. 

I think your right as it cleared up when I drove on with the lights on as @rowbos suggested.

• 1 year later...

I think it's that time of year when headlight condensation shows itself - night frost and fog and sunny days always tends to produce this on mine and sure enough, today it's quite bad.

I've also found that driving it with headlights on gets rid of it, but what concerns me is that I have an MOT early on Wednesday morning and am wondering if it will fail the MOT with that condensation showing or will I need to get up an hour earlier and take it for a long run before dropping it off for the test?

Thanks

Turns out that a hairdryer played onto the outside of the plastic for about 20 minutes is remarkably effective at making the condensation on the inside disappear.

Will see if it comes back, but at least I know how to shift it now.

The lights are not sealed units like I mentioned above a year ago, silica gel would do as much good as leaving one outside overnight.

A hairdryer I guess would work for a quick fix, but condensation occurs at the point of cold and hot(moist) air meeting so it will always happen in winter after using the lights (hot in the light, cold outside of it).

Just accept it as a thing, it happens and not a lot can be done about it. Driving the car creates air pressure on the vents in the light and draws the moisture out. 

I have 2001 Boxster and it have from factory a vent tube going from the blue color lights wire connector to between body and fenderliner. So if some condensation gets to the lights, it should also get out by using the lighs for a while to heat the lights units. I do drive my car on all kind of weather (not on snow thoug...), but so far have not seen the condensation issue on the lights.

Could it be @the baron that the vent tube has disconnected from the lights socket and condensation gets easier in to the lights element?

Edited by pacificjuha
  • Thanks 1