981 PSE Best price for retrofit 2020

Ringmaster999

Porsche Tequipment Accessories Finder link below for 981 PSE, which shows the standard pricing, worth ringing around OPCs for comparison and any PCGB/Tipec/Group discount available...

https://content3.eu.porsche.com/prod/pag/tequipment/TeqFinder.nsf/TeqFinder?ReadForm&ma=PCGB (RL)&co=30&sp=1&cati=LP_Sportabgasanlagen und Sportendrohre&ac=product&ac=product&ba=718&bt=981&pr=660ACA72C3728B9FC12579810049EBBB

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, iborguk said:

Porsche Tequipment Accessories Finder link below for 981 PSE, which shows the standard pricing, worth ringing around OPCs for comparison and any PCGB/Tipec/Group discount available...

https://content3.eu.porsche.com/prod/pag/tequipment/TeqFinder.nsf/TeqFinder?ReadForm&ma=PCGB (RL)&co=30&sp=1&cati=LP_Sportabgasanlagen und Sportendrohre&ac=product&ac=product&ba=718&bt=981&pr=660ACA72C3728B9FC12579810049EBBB

That shows it includes painting????????  😀

• Confused 1

I had it retro fitted to my 987.2 a few years ago, they quoted £2100.00 but I got it fitted for £1900.00 after asking for a discount. I’m not sure if it’d be anymore expensive for a 981 though. I now have a 981 with it fitted and it sounds awesome especially with the sport plus button pressed. It’s definitely worth getting fitted if you can negotiate a good price. 

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, bandit_287 said:

I now have a 981 with it fitted and it sounds awesome especially with the sport plus button pressed.  

Really? mine sounds slightly quieter in sport+ than it does in sport.  There's definitely more pop's and bangs in sport for the same RPM, I assumed it was because the fuelling was set for performance rather than posing.

2 minutes ago, RickLS7 said:

Really? mine sounds slightly quieter in sport+ than it does in sport.  There's definitely more pop's and bangs in sport for the same RPM, I assumed it was because the fuelling was set for performance rather than posing.

I rarely use sport, it’s either Sport plus and manual or normal mode and cruising around in D. You might be right, I’ll have a play with Sport and Sport plus and see if there’s a noticeable difference. 

Have you considered buying it and fitting it without the switchable option and just having it open all the time. That's where most of us keep ours anyway.

My video on the vacuum issue I faced will show you how it's plumbed in.

https://youtu.be/nC4VGnYJ4QM

It's probably costing around £1000 to have the switchable option added which is a lot for something that isn't really needed.

Edited by daz05
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, daz05 said:

Have you considered buying it and fitting it without the switchable option and just having it open all the time. That's where most of us keep ours anyway.

My video on the vacuum issue I faced will show you how it's plumbed in.

https://youtu.be/nC4VGnYJ4QM

It's probably costing around £1000 to have the switchable option added which is a lot for something that isn't really needed.

I agree it’s probably not needed and really was looking just for audible enjoyment whilst driving. I suppose it’s down too the question. Is the cost for additional sound effects worth it.  

• Like 1

Yes PSE is worth it 100%, I find the noise is key to the experience.  I'm not convinced the ability to turn it off is so important though!  Yes I turn it off now and again but not engaging sport and driving sedately is the best way of keeping the noise down when it's not appropriate.

• Thanks 1

Cost £2300 from OPC Wolves .Was it worth it - YES - Leave it off whenSWMBO is in car - in sport mode it seems to add another dimension to the car -brilliant ,Its a 👍 from me - wouldn't buy another without it .

• Thanks 1

I bought the retrofit kit from my local OPC and fitted it myself, the proper instructions are available online if you hunt about. I think I paid £1450, there are a couple of options depending on weather you already have the sports tailpipe.

You have to remove the passenger seat and the interior from that side to run a wire from a module under the seat, through the rear bulkhead and into another module on the right hand side of the boot. Putting the wires into the connectors is the worst bit.

Fit the change over solenoid and bracket to the top of the engine, takes longer to get into the engine than too fit. Run vacuum lines down engine to the exhaust area.

Strip the button panel out of the center console and fit the new one that comes with the kit, this has to made up but is very straight forward.

Remove the old exhaust and fit the new one with new gaskets, connect vacuum lines.

Get the exhaust coded in by somebody with a PIWIS tool. 

Enjoy the sound of the car and never use the switch you have just spent ages fitting.......

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I had it retro fitted.

There are about 20+ parts to Fit along with the actual exhaust components, namely wiring, vacuum lines, vacuum switch solenoid, and new console switch.  Unfortunately a whole new programmable console switch unit ( not just the individual switch) is required.  This then needs to be programmed via PIWIS. I think it was 6 hrs (?) labour for the OPC.

The switchable nature is a big advantage if yours is a daily driver and/or do much motorway mileage (especially if you have PDK).  Motorway drone is reduced somewhat on the motorway. 

Also I THINK that when you get PSE coded by PIWIS it actually changes the fuel map to provoke more crackle and pop, so without that encoding you won’t get so much (if that’s what you are after). Otherwise as said you could just buy the exhaust components and get a local garage to install for you and it will default to loud mode.

4 hours ago, Bodge50 said:

Cost £2300 from OPC Wolves .Was it worth it - YES - Leave it off whenSWMBO is in car - in sport mode it seems to add another dimension to the car -brilliant ,Its a 👍 from me - wouldn't buy another without it .

Any drone in 7th on the motorway Bodge?

7 hours ago, Madlil said:

Any drone in 7th on the motorway Bodge?

I have factory fitted pse on my 987.2. 

i drive with it in “on” most of the time.

But a long haul on the motorway I turn it off, because I can.  if I couldn’t it wouldn’t bother me too much but I do find it tedious at constant speed after a while.  

it’s a good toy.  And in sports mode it does pop a little (more so in sport +) which does nothing other than make me giggle. So that makes it worth it. 

• Haha 1

Aka Drone.

some just seem more sensitive to it than others. With PDK, 70-80mph in 7th puts you  in the range 2000-2400rpm that seems to be the critical revs for drone. A manual puts you just above the worse rev range  on the motorway so not so much of a problem.  Note- PSE in quiet mode is still louder than the standard exhaust.

Mine (PDK) also drones at motorway speeds with it turned off and you are right about it being louder when off than the standard exhaust.  Thought it was stuck on when I first got the car.

If I'm going somewhere via motorway and not nice enough to get the roof down, I normally take the other car.

Edited by RickLS7