981 PSE Best price for retrofit 2020

Ringmaster999

On 8/30/2020 at 10:42 PM, Menoporsche said:

If not a daily and not under warranty, consider Carnewal instead?

That's what i would have thought too, particularly with all the talk by those who would retrofit the OEM system at huge expense just to leave it permanently switched on anyway?

So I contacted OPC Cardiff and they provided a quote for £3011 😳 I have asked why that price is well above what is given in the Tequipment catalog and I’m awaiting an answer. Apparently it also includes discounts for PCGB Membership. 
Phoned Bristol and guess what. Same group so they just stated they have quoted. Cardiff, Twesksbury, Bristol and Swindon are all the same group so pointless ringing around those to get a better deal.

18 hours ago, spook said:

That's what i would have thought too, particularly with all the talk by those who would retrofit the OEM system at huge expense just to leave it permanently switched on anyway?

I would switch it off which is why the retro fit appeals. All nice and neat and looks as it should be there. But I must admit at 3K I’m struggling to justify it.

1 hour ago, Ringmaster999 said:

Not a bad idea looking at there prices. 

7D12A42F-7646-46A3-828C-7C2DF17611CF.png

Bear in mind on top of the above price you have to buy the switch which is £215 on their site. Also it’s not clear whether all the vacuum lines, solenoid switch etc etc come with the above.  The install is 8 hrs OPC standard timing and requires PIWIS for coding the switch.

even so over £3000 is outrageous when these were being installed wildly for just over £2000 very recently. I recall one particular OPC doing a special of £1600 all in, but I’ve not seen such a deal since.

Edited by Greenman
  • Thanks 1

I had mine done April last year (2019) . Of course prices might have changed since then and i understand availability of parts could be a problem .I know the indie garage i use used to get parts delivery every day - its now down to twice a week ! 

On 8/28/2020 at 4:39 PM, Ringmaster999 said:

Has anyone actually had the PSE retro fitted after purchase at your OPC. If so what is involved and how much did you pay?

Also were you happy with the results 

Cheers

If you're happy to spend that sort of money to make it noisy, why not purchase some 200cell sports cat headers, BMC air filters and get some performance gains? As a bonus you will get a much deeper exhaust note, especially if you have the exit from the back boxes modified with new trail pipes as per my 981.

So OPC Cardiff have now got back with a revised price of £2528 inc VAT which is as advertised in Tequipment catalog. 
An expensive extravagance but then some would say Porsche ownership is just that! So I’ve booked it in for the fit 22nd September. I have gone this way purely for the fact it’s a purpose built extra that for most does not devalue the car. For some it might but I don’t intend to sell it so irrelevant really. Let’s just hope it’s worth it😂👍 

• Like 1

Having the OPC fitted exhaust also means insurance companies are less likely to notice car is modified ! When looking for insurance quotes last year ,AA wouldn't 

insure car because its got Zunsport grills fitted !!

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Bodge50 said:

Having the OPC fitted exhaust also means insurance companies are less likely to notice car is modified ! When looking for insurance quotes last year ,AA wouldn't 

insure car because its got Zunsport grills fitted !!

Wow that’s just crazy. Have them to fit actually. Cars being detailed and ceramic coated Monday and will get the detailer to fit them. I just won’t mention them when it’s due insurance next time round. 

3 hours ago, Ringmaster999 said:

So OPC Cardiff have now got back with a revised price of £2528 inc VAT which is as advertised in Tequipment catalog. 
An expensive extravagance but then some would say Porsche ownership is just that! So I’ve booked it in for the fit 22nd September. I have gone this way purely for the fact it’s a purpose built extra that for most does not devalue the car. For some it might but I don’t intend to sell it so irrelevant really. Let’s just hope it’s worth it😂👍 

You won’t regret it, the PSE sounds fantastic with Sport/Sport plus engaged. Loads of pops bangs and crackles between gear changes and on the over run. 

• Haha 1

You won’t get the cats, they remain on the car, the PSE is a cat back system. 
i kept the old system from my  987.2 and sold it for £100.00. Definitely get the old system back from the OPC though, your dual exit tips are worth £80.00 alone. 

Edited by bandit_287
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ringmaster999 said:

So when the retro fit is done is there any value in the old system?I have the twin pipe end. Should I take it back from the OPC and keep/sell it or possibly scrap it. Aren’t the cats worth scrap money due to the precious metals? 

I’d be tempted to buy your dual tips if you sell them post fitting....

12 hours ago, Ringmaster999 said:

So when the retro fit is done is there any value in the old system?I have the twin pipe end. Should I take it back from the OPC and keep/sell it or possibly scrap it. Aren’t the cats worth scrap money due to the precious metals? 

There’s not much value in the old exhaust (£100-200 on eBay) this is because a number of people have had PSE upgrades so there are a few  old exhausts knocking about and The cars aren’t old enough for the original exhausts to have rotted away, hence no demand.

Note- you don’t need to rebuy the exhaust tips if you already have them, they should do quotes with and without the tips (as per the Design 911 prices).

3 minutes ago, Greenman said:

There’s not much value in the old exhaust (£100-200 on eBay) this is because a number of people have had PSE upgrades so there are a few  old exhausts knocking about and The cars aren’t old enough for the original exhausts to have rotted away, hence no demand.

Note- you don’t need to rebuy the exhaust tips if you already have them, they should do quotes with and without the tips (as per the Design 911 prices).

I mentioned I had what I thought were the Sports tail pipe but OPC Cardiff insisted I just have the twin outlet pipes and not the sport tail pipes. I am tempted to ask them to check them. 

Sports tailpipe is slightly larger diameter.

Have you got a quote from your local indi, as usually significantly cheaper than OPC?

Revolution had just fitted the PSE to a 981 when I was up there last month, for example.  I know I paid significantly less to have Revolution fit my X73 Sports suspension kit.

21 minutes ago, Patt said:

Sports tailpipe is slightly larger diameter.

Have you got a quote from your local indi, as usually significantly cheaper than OPC?

Revolution had just fitted the PSE to a 981 when I was up there last month, for example.  I know I paid significantly less to have Revolution fit my X73 Sports suspension kit.

Humm... whilst I believe the slightly larger pipe is maybe the case, I can say in my example if there is any difference it’s marginal, even holding the old next to the new!   

if you do swap the tips then there is definitely a market for your old tips (for those in a base trying to mimic an ‘S’ 😀)

When I had mine done I spoke to Revolution, but it was clear they hadn’t done one before and they quoted the standard 8 hrs, so I went with OPC which were quoting barely any more.  This was 3 years ago so by now I expect they will have done a few. 

From memory the exit pipes are 3-4 mm larger on PSE.

It was an easy way for me to tell the cars apart when shopping for a 981.

Revolution always quote book hours, then try and improve. As long as nothing goes wrong I often find my bill is significantly less than "worse case scenario" quote...but it can only takes one stubborn bolt.