981 PSE Best price for retrofit 2020

Ringmaster999

1 hour ago, Patt said:

From memory the exit pipes are 3-4 mm larger on PSE

Just measured mine.   The external diameter of the exhaust tips are 88mm on both the PSE tip and the standard as fitted to my stock ‘S’.

So either:

1. My standard exhaust was supplied with the Sports tips.

2. My PSE was supplied with the standard tips

3. There is in fact no difference (as my Experiance).

Im genuinely interested in the answer, maybe you two could measure the external diameter of your tips?

The sports tail pipes are larger in diameter than the standard twin outlet and they’re made of chrome not stainless steel( or it’s the other way around) 

if your car is a 2.7 and has twin exit pipes then you have the sport tail pipes already. Standard fitment on the 2.7 is a single oval. 

Edited by bandit_287

42 minutes ago, Greenman said:

Just measured mine.   The external diameter of the exhaust tips are 88mm on both the PSE tip and the standard as fitted to my stock ‘S’.

So either:

Im genuinely interested in the answer, maybe you two could measure the external diameter of your tips?

41 minutes ago, bandit_287 said:

The sports tail pipes are larger in diameter than the standard twin outlet and they’re made of chrome not stainless steel( or it’s the other way around) 

if your car is a 2.7 and has twin exit pipes then you have the sport tail pipes already. Standard fitment on the 2.7 is a single oval. 

I’ll check tonight on my return home what the size is 👍

It is indeed the 2.7 but here’s the thing. I’m the third owner and the chap I bought it off stated they were the sports tail pipes but they were on the car when he bought it from OPC Glasgow when it was one year old. 
However when I asked for the factory spec from Porsche customer service UK it did not leave the factory with them. So the first owner either had them retro fitted but never passed any paperwork to Glasgow. Surely if that was the case it would show on the Porsche database. But if it does why did OPC Cardiff say they’ve looked at the spec of my car and it’s just fitted with twin pipes not the sports tail pipe. 
It could of course just be aftermarket twin pipes. All will be revealed tomorrow hopefully. 

1 hour ago, Greenman said:

So either:

So do you have a spare set of tips to sell? 😛

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Ringmaster999 said:

Took a call from my local OPC this afternoon. Was due to drop off the car Monday for retro fit of the PSE Tuesday. They now inform me the exhaust is on back order with no date for arrival 😩 Gutted. So just guess I’ll have to wait

Unlucky.

But yes, I am having mine replaced on Monday due to stuck valves, has been two weeks getting the exhaust into the dealer, there were none in the country apparently, well there is now but it has my name on it 😜

3 minutes ago, Greenman said:

Unlucky.

But yes, I am having mine replaced on Monday due to stuck valves, has been two weeks getting the exhaust into the dealer, there were none in the country apparently, well there is now but it has my name on it 😜

Interesting. Booked mine in for this on the 3rd Sep so possible the dealer has been slow in ordering. Good things come to those who wait I suppose 😩

So my PSE was replaced today for a new box fresh item (Warranty wins again🤑). They also replaced the exhaust tips, which wasn’t really necessary, but I can confirm that the PSE tips have 88/90mm exits. So in my case my standard non PSE exhaust that the car was delivered with also have these same tips.

• 4 weeks later...
33 minutes ago, Ringmaster999 said:

Well surprise surprise OPC phoned this afternoon and the PSE is finally in the dealership. So booked in for next Thursday 👍 I only hope it’s worth the wait and the drone some talk about isn’t a problem for me. Fingers crossed 

You will love it. Well worth the wait. I have zero issues with drone on mine 

• Thanks 1

The drone is minimal and only when pootling in auto and allowing the ECO mode to put you in too long a gear.

Even my father loves the PSE and forgets to tell me to slow down - by far the most smile inducing option for a 981.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well she’s all done and only a short journey from the dealership to home but first impression of the PSE 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂👍 SICK 😂😂

Unfortunately we enter a Wales National lock down tomorrow for just over two weeks so no prolonged test for a while but I’m sure it’s going to be well worth it measured against smiles per miles z👍

I am thinking about doing this as well but I am struggling with the cost of £2.2k to satisfy my desire for a bit more noise. I had the Gundo hack on my 996 and it did sound very good and I enjoyed it very much, but welding in a tube cost less than £300.

If I bought a PSE through an OPC would they remove the old exhaust carefully and hand it over to me so I could refit it when I sold the car and then sell the PSE? i imagine the additional value of the car with PSE would be quite small whereas selling it separately I could recoup some of my investment.. 

Having said this does anybody have a PSE to sell? Is it something I could fit myself? Would doing something like this create issues with my OPC warranty?

cheers

Graham

8 hours ago, graham964 said:

I am thinking about doing this as well but I am struggling with the cost of £2.2k to satisfy my desire for a bit more noise. I had the Gundo hack on my 996 and it did sound very good and I enjoyed it very much, but welding in a tube cost less than £300.

If I bought a PSE through an OPC would they remove the old exhaust carefully and hand it over to me so I could refit it when I sold the car and then sell the PSE? i imagine the additional value of the car with PSE would be quite small whereas selling it separately I could recoup some of my investment.. 

Having said this does anybody have a PSE to sell? Is it something I could fit myself? Would doing something like this create issues with my OPC warranty?

cheers

Graham

It’s not just the valved back box’s it’s also the switch gear in the centre console to switch on/off along with computer uploaded maps for the ECU to enhance the pops and crackles. So I’m not sure it could be done by just bolting on the back box’s. 
I went OPC route as I like the on/off abilities of the system which is something that is part of the car not a bolt on. If you get my drift. Again as it’s been fitted by OPC no detriment to the warranty they provide. The back box’s taken off are now in my garage all un-damaged as they might have some value to someone but again putting the car back to standard is not a case of just bolting them back on due to the remapping mentioned above. Of course you could just leave them with the OPC for disposal but I just thought I might get £150 or so for them one day 👍

Unfortunately the old back boxes don’t hold much value as no 981s are in a position to need their standard exhaust being replaced (due to corrosion etc) so currently value seems to be £150 ish.  Maybe in another 10 years they may gain some value.?

As stated above though, a significant part of the install (and cost) is installing the vacuum tubes, engine switch, wiring, console switch and programming etc.  All this could be left in if you put the old stuff back but you would then have an exhaust button that didn’t do anything, and yes I expect it would mean you couldn’t then extend warranty. 

Looks like Ringmaster is going to have to drive around annoying his immediate neighbours for a couple of weeks!!