981 PSE Best price for retrofit 2020

Ringmaster999

8 minutes ago, highway said:

I’m currently getting little movement on price. £1850 if car had sports tips. £2200 of if it doesn’t. Being told labour is £900. Will try some other options. Seems a lot of money for what it is.

Expensive but aurally extremely satisfying.  What price pleasure in these dark days? 🤔

Edited by rowbos

12 minutes ago, highway said:

I’m currently getting little movement on price. £1850 if car had sports tips. £2200 of if it doesn’t. Being told labour is £900. Will try some other options. Seems a lot of money for what it is.

I think you’ve done well at £1850 (with existing sport tips). I paid £2118 (I had the sport tips) which is the advertised price in the Porsche Technique Catalog. So a saving of £268. That’s not bad IMHO 👍

Edited by Ringmaster999

I have just gone outside to measure my tips and photograph to see if they tie up with what was stated in this planet 9 post

........ the Porsche Sport tips are oval. They measure 3.5" horizional and 3.8"
vertical.

Mine correspond to these dimensions and are in the photos below. I thought they were black chrome I suspect they are brushed steel with a carbon deposit. I will take a closer look tomorrow. Were all the sports tips at least chromed or was there brushed steel option?

Regards

Graham

tips.JPG

tip 2.JPG

the chroming for the sport tips were referenced in the planet 9 link as follows. I can live without the chroming.

I suspect the sport tailpipes will be chromed and look much better than the standard dull brushed aluminium pipes. I had PSE retrofitted a couple of months ago and was surprised they they refitted the old tips. When I enquired I was told the chromed sport tips were extra cost.I suspect the sport tailpipes will be chromed and look much better than the standard dull brushed aluminium pipes. I had PSE retrofitted a couple of months ago and was surprised they they refitted the old tips. When I enquired I was told the chromed sport tips were extra cost.

• 3 weeks later...

The functionality to switch on and off is nice if fitted but it's very seldom i would turn it off, coming out of sport mode (button still on) and being gentle keeps it quiet in built up areas.  Has anyone considered opening and modifying the back boxes of the standard system, you'll pick up a spare on ebay for buttons if you want to reverse.  I would try that before spending £1850.  

3 hours ago, daz05 said:

The functionality to switch on and off is nice if fitted but it's very seldom i would turn it off, coming out of sport mode (button still on) and being gentle keeps it quiet in built up areas.  Has anyone considered opening and modifying the back boxes of the standard system, you'll pick up a spare on ebay for buttons if you want to reverse.  I would try that before spending £1850.  

If it's just the noise you're after I agree with Daz - open up a standard box and have a look as you can always just weld it back up again.

Also even if I have the car in standard mode I'd press the exhaust and stop/start buttons, so to just have the sports exhaust would be fine for me.

Edited by GTSMarky
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, daz05 said:

Having had the PSE retro fitted in Nov just gone I have the original back box’s off my 2.7 with 19k sat in the garage. I’m located in S Wales. £100 pick up only if anyone wants to mod as Daz suggests 👍

Edited by Ringmaster999
Add to post

On 1/22/2021 at 11:58 AM, daz05 said:

Probably depends a bit on your usage.  My car is a daily so I use mine in quiet mode regularly. Also if you do motorway mileage much you might find the quiet mode preferable (especially if you have PDK).  In addition I think when they program the PSE on the switch using PIWIS it adds a map to slightly over fuel on overrun when PSE is on - hence much more pops and crackles than otherwise - one reason perhaps why Carnwell users report fewer pops and crackles.

Edited by Greenman

2 hours ago, Greenman said:

Probably depends a bit on your usage.  My car is a daily so I use mine in quiet mode regularly. Also if you do motorway mileage much you might find the quiet mode preferable (especially if you have PDK).  In addition I think when they program the PSE on the switch using PIWIS it adds a map to slightly over fuel on overrun when PSE is on - hence much more pops and crackles than otherwise - one reason perhaps why Carnwell users report fewer pops and crackles.

Absolutely depends on usage and your appetite for spending £2k, but you also get the enjoyment of tinkering with it in your garage lubing the valves and checking they haven't seized 😂😂😂

See my post of 21st July. No one fancied it. I’ve got the Bluetooth equipped on my JCW mini. It pops and crackles a bit too much for my liking in sport mode which is where that over fuel feature is activated. I like it in on in the mid mode as you get a throatier sound without crackles and bangs. That was £1600 and also came with a remap taking the car up from 190 Bhp to 210. 
The Porsche version isn’t bundles at £1850 IF you already have the sport tips. It is a lump of money though. I haven’t committed yet myself.

10 hours ago, MIkeyv60 said:

I would also note that i think Porsche are going to increase parts prices in the next couple of months due to Brexit

Already done. If you look at the Porsche Tequipment on line catalog no prices are now showed. All marked “on request”. I recently bought the Porsche embossed centre arm rest and paid a considerable amount over the advertised price last year. Knew I should have bought it before Christmas 

• 2 weeks later...

Would it be possible for you to buy a topgear/designtek switchable system and wire that into a centre console switch & then code in for PSE on the ECU? 

I'm just thinking for those that don't already have PSE but fancy am aftermarket system for a slightly louder/different sound. 

• 2 weeks later...

If you did a group buy it would be cheaper .

back in 2007 ten of us got together and had the PSE fitted to our 996's. 2200 quid but as ten of us had it fitted 1500 quid each . That was Porsche Stratford . 700 quid saving . 

Someone should organise a group buy 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...