Windscreen wiper stalk issue

dolphin

Hi, apologies if this has been covered before, but I have searched the forums and can't find a reference to this issue.

I have a 2002 Boxster S and the windscreen wiper stalk has gone floppy between the intermittent and slow speed settings, so won't click into the "off" position any more. This happened without warning.  

I was wondering whether anyone has also experienced this and if they have any tips about getting this fixed (bearing in mind that I am lacking in technical expertise!)? 

Thanks. 

Not overly helpful to you @dolphin but my 2002 986S suffered the same issue (about 10 years ago) - previous owner had just paid an OPC or independent to replace.

It’s DIY able (few YT vids out there) - you get the new stalk set & replace:

1 hour ago, dolphin said:

I do not have the expertise to attempt the repair myself, so may have to take it to a garage. Will look for threads re recommended garages! 

Depends on where you are, plenty of folk would be happy to help. It is very straight forward to replace the stalks. The opportunity to add obc and cruise if you dont have them presently.

The 3 wiper settings still work. The difficulty is switching them off, as it doesn't click into the off position, although I have been able - with a few attempts - to turn them off by gently moving the wiper stalk. Very annoying time for this to happen - particularly as car is due an MOT in 3 weeks!!  

9 hours ago, dolphin said:

The 3 wiper settings still work. The difficulty is switching them off, as it doesn't click into the off position, although I have been able - with a few attempts - to turn them off by gently moving the wiper stalk. Very annoying time for this to happen - particularly as car is due an MOT in 3 weeks!!  

If you take them off completely out could pass... Maybe I've misunderstood that legal angle. 

• 2 months later...

Did you manage to fix this? My 2004 986S also has just developed this exact same issue.

I've just about managed to get it to stay in the wipers-off position but am definitely going to need to fix this. Mine has thh trip computer but I assume I can get a 2 stalk setup and transfer my computer switch to the replacement part. GIven the fact these fail as they get old, is it worth just buying a new part so that I know it's had no wear and tear?

The new part from Design911 is £215 without the OBC stalk and £305 with the OBC stalk :S

6 hours ago, DavidC said:

Did you manage to fix this? My 2004 986S also has just developed this exact same issue.

I've just about managed to get it to stay in the wipers-off position but am definitely going to need to fix this. Mine has thh trip computer but I assume I can get a 2 stalk setup and transfer my computer switch to the replacement part. GIven the fact these fail as they get old, is it worth just buying a new part so that I know it's had no wear and tear?

The new part from Design911 is £215 without the OBC stalk and £305 with the OBC stalk :S

yes transfer the OBC no issues

22 hours ago, DavidC said:

We list them at £200 and £240

Not sure if you fixed this issue but I had the same issue with the stalk being floppy and on the off chance I sprayed a little contact cleaner into it from the side and now it's fine 🙂 might be worth a try?

Archived