2019 Cayenne S review

daz05

3 minutes ago, daz05 said:

Thanks Stuart, have to say I'm keen to shift the X5 for one next year, maybe a later previous generation car.

sounds nice given its not the GTS etc

(much better than my diesel which I'd love to replace with a petrol Macan or Cayenne GTS but fear the costs in fuel)

2 minutes ago, Stuart21UK said:

sounds nice given its not the GTS etc

(much better than my diesel which I'd love to replace with a petrol Macan or Cayenne GTS but fear the costs in fuel)

The S was a little behind our 40d in terms of mpg but worth it for the sound and extra power. Diesel makes sense in these though if you aren't driving in the cities.

The GTS gets the V8 but only 20bhp more so S seems like the best choice.

13 minutes ago, daz05 said:

The S was a little behind our 40d in terms of mpg but worth it for the sound and extra power. Diesel makes sense in these though if you aren't driving in the cities.

The GTS gets the V8 but only 20bhp more so S seems like the best choice.

we get about 31 mpg in the 3l diesel Cayenne, suspect closer to 22 mpg if we had a petrol :( 

Great video as ever @daz05  really interesting to hear your opinion of that version.  Nice loaner for sure from OPC up your way and great you took the time to capture your thoughts... Engine is indeed a peach as you say, we've just got a Macan GTS as the family wagon which has the same unit, a bit detuned, but I'd share your thoughts on it too - bit of lag, and sounds good, but goes extremely well (Having PDK and using Sport /Plus Mode makes a huuuuuge difference in ours)

Hope the bill for the 981 isn't too bad..

Edited by Withy

58 minutes ago, Withy said:

Great video as ever @daz05  really interesting to hear your opinion of that version.  Nice loaner for sure from OPC up your way and great you took the time to capture your thoughts... Engine is indeed a peach as you say, we've just got a Macan GTS as the family wagon which has the same unit, a bit detuned, but I'd share your thoughts on it too - bit of lag, and sounds good, but goes extremely well (Having PDK and using Sport /Plus Mode makes a huuuuuge difference in ours)

Hope the bill for the 981 isn't too bad..

Nice one Withy, I'd like the Macan even more I'm surei.

Happy to report the bill was ok, they are a good bunch, said it was in good health so nothing unexpected. The head tech knows the car and even watches some of the videos 😂😂😂.

Great review @daz05. I had a Cayenne loaned to me when my car was in for a service recently and pretty much echo your thoughts. "Mine" was the base model but it still suprised me with the performance for such a big heavy car. It had air suspension and rode beautifully. It didn't sound as good as the one you borrowed though. It was very muted despite having a sports exhaust button which didn't seem to make much difference!

Edited by bbob1

15 minutes ago, bbob1 said:

Great review @daz05. I had a Cayenne loaned to me when my car was in for a service recently and pretty much echo your thoughts. "Mine" was the base model but it still suprised me with the performance for such a big heavy car. It had air suspension and rode beautifully. It didn't sound as good as the one you borrowed though. It was very muted despite having a sports exhaust button which didn't seem to make much difference!

Cheers Bob, the base model is probably good enough, the spec is more important, want it to ride comfortably to keep everyone else on board quiet and happy 😂

Good review;

I've had a couple of KN's - Turbo & Hybrid.

Both cars were brilliant - hybrid towing the Cup Car all over UK & Europe, Turbo hauling range rovers out of 3 foot deep snow & bloody last !

when we were looking for a family car 4 years ago, it was down to the KN and the X5.

Porsche couldn't get anywhere near the X5 on pricing (not surprising when BMW were gouging the price on the X5 - over 10K difference), and the X5 we were looking at had the third row of seats, which has been used more than I thought.

But, we are now on the lookout for a replacement.  New X5 is bigger again, and significantly more expensive than the old model.

We don't need to carry the amount of cr*p we used to  (double pushchair and associated twin baby stuff).

Not a fan of the X3

KN probably a bit big, so that puts us into the Macan.

Would love a Taycan but its predominantly the wifes car, and she thought the Taycan felt huge.

Decisions, decisions...!

might just hold onto the X5 - over the 4 years, its needed two front tyres.  Thats it !

(and now it will probably break down spectacularly !)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, david_yorkshire said:

Good review;

I've had a couple of KN's - Turbo & Hybrid.

Both cars were brilliant - hybrid towing the Cup Car all over UK & Europe, Turbo hauling range rovers out of 3 foot deep snow & bloody last !

when we were looking for a family car 4 years ago, it was down to the KN and the X5.

Porsche couldn't get anywhere near the X5 on pricing (not surprising when BMW were gouging the price on the X5 - over 10K difference), and the X5 we were looking at had the third row of seats, which has been used more than I thought.

But, we are now on the lookout for a replacement.  New X5 is bigger again, and significantly more expensive than the old model.

We don't need to carry the amount of cr*p we used to  (double pushchair and associated twin baby stuff).

Not a fan of the X3

KN probably a bit big, so that puts us into the Macan.

Would love a Taycan but its predominantly the wifes car, and she thought the Taycan felt huge.

Decisions, decisions...!

might just hold onto the X5 - over the 4 years, its needed two front tyres.  Thats it !

(and now it will probably break down spectacularly !)

Similar experience Dave we went for the X5 too.  The engine swung it for me at the time, and have to say ours has been quite reliable too.

Pushchairs have gone but now it's bikes and scooters !

yep; its a good engine - especially when its remapped :)

Car handles pretty well too

Same here pushchair gone, bikes now fill the boot !

only real gripe is that it is quite wide; Watfords carparks were built in the 70's when cars were much smaller; we struggle getting into some car parks due to the bloody stupid concrete curbs they use.  All the wheels are mashed

• 2 months later...

So, after having my disco 3 from new 2006, it’s now died, and have been looking at the KN as an option, not new probably 2011 version, anything I should be wary of at mileage points

• 3 months later...
On 3/7/2021 at 1:21 PM, the baron said:

So, after having my disco 3 from new 2006, it’s now died, and have been looking at the KN as an option, not new probably 2011 version, anything I should be wary of at mileage points

Not much to watch out for; the build quality is tremendous.  Many were specced with a great number of toys (mine has over £35k of extras fitted).  The only one I think really desirable is the air suspension....but avoid really big wheels - they dont respond well to potholes (well, the tyres don't anyway...).  I've only replaced consumables on mine (5 tyres (one, due pothole after 700 miles) and a battery), and it is, by far, the most comfy car I have ever had; I would struggle to think of a similar replacement other than a FFRR....and the potential for big bills on one of those is huge.  The base diesel is also fairly refined, though the S would undoubtedly bring more smiles.

Edited by Pete D
  • Thanks 1