25 Years of the Boxster - Special Edition

Southy

1 hour ago, MIkeyv60 said:

Around 70 coming to the UK . All allocations taken up by midday yesterday (Wednesday) 

Will hold its value better than a standard gts 4.0 . 

Apart from initial investment could get a fair chunk back in years to come?

70 .? That’s more than I imagined tbh. If only 1250 world wide. 
lovely looking car IMO 

Proper nasty looking wheels. Some achievement making OEM look aftermarket. The accents don’t work and as a signature inside colour red with red dash top is divisive at best.

The old 986 550 had some of the best options including a then unique interior colour, unique (albeit only painted) alloys, short shift kit and a wee bit more power.

What a missed opportunity this is in comparison. They could have created a better one from the current Tequipment brochure and options list. 

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, highway said:

Proper nasty looking wheels. Some achievement making OEM look aftermarket. The accents don’t work and as a signature inside colour red with red dash top is divisive at best.

The old 986 550 had some of the best options including a then unique interior colour, unique (albeit only painted) alloys, short shift kit and a wee bit more power.

What a missed opportunity this is in comparison. They could have created a better one from the current Tequipment brochure and options list. 

Can spec black interior and top .

Looks great in white

• Confused 1

18 minutes ago, Clivescoobydo said:

Why not?? One case of corona virus in the last 8 months and they’ll be burning fossil fuels long after we’ve gone back to horse and cart! 

High emmission engines are penalised heavily, thats why the 718 4 pot has been such a success in China

1 hour ago, MIkeyv60 said:

High emmission engines are penalised heavily, thats why the 718 4 pot has been such a success in China

How come RR/Bentley do so well out there?  I would guess the Chinese mega wealthy, of which there are plenty these days, are not too concerned with emission penalties.

Edited by Clivescoobydo

4 hours ago, highway said:

This 25th doesn't look as different from or have as many new/unique performance parts as the 986 550. 

Feels more like a Black Edition or more like the RS60 but even those had a higher output IIRC. 

1 hour ago, Clivescoobydo said:

How come RR/Bentley do so well out there?  I would guess the Chinese mega wealthy, of which there are plenty these days, are not too concerned with emission penalties.

No idea .. 981 sales dropped due to high emission charges.  718 4t introduced and China becomes its biggest market,  outsells the 911 so maybe its just high emmission sportscars they arent keen on ?

On 1/14/2021 at 9:16 PM, edc said:

This 25th doesn't look as different from or have as many new/unique performance parts as the 986 550. 

Feels more like a Black Edition or more like the RS60 but even those had a higher output IIRC. 

Perhaps it is trying to be more of a tribute to an original 2.5 to a range topping special edition?  i.e. not more power or higher spec with extra toys as such.

At least it has 6 cylinders.

I’m quite liking the look.  Wheels look good IMO,  side vents I’m not so sure.  I don’t know if I could live with red on the top of the dash though (reflections). Ultimately though is just some cosmetic treatment, so I can’t really see a huge premium being maintained over a similarly specced GTS...but I’ve been wrong before.

On 1/22/2021 at 9:49 PM, RBD914 v2 said:

You could get a Spyder for the same money...no brainer surely?

I don’t think it’s quite that clear cut (assuming either were available).  With the engine being all but the same there’s no real obvious advantage there.  The roof is a big turn off for some with the Spyder, a point for the GTS/25. Suspension wise clearly the Spyder is more advanced/tuned, but again this isn’t always a pro, some want more compliance in a primary road car.  Both are limited edition models though the Spyder will probably have more cache (if that’s important to you).    Never driven either so obviously pure speculation but I don’t see a chasm  between them and could certainly see some preferring the ‘25’.

35 minutes ago, Greenman said:

I don’t think it’s quite that clear cut (assuming either were available).  With the engine being all but the same there’s no real obvious advantage there.  The roof is a big turn off for some with the Spyder, a point for the GTS/25. Suspension wise clearly the Spyder is more advanced/tuned, but again this isn’t always a pro, some want more compliance in a primary road car.  Both are limited edition models though the Spyder will probably have more cache (if that’s important to you).    Never driven either so obviously pure speculation but I don’t see a chasm  between them and could certainly see some preferring the ‘25’.

Roof aside the Spyder is the more special car.

The front and rear ends are completely different, you can have any colour you want and it has the full GT suspension.

And you are not stuck with all those horrible gold bits!

I would bet the Spyders will hold their value better too, if that's a consideration for the buyer.

But I'm with you on the roof, doesn't seem to stop it selling though!

20 hours ago, RBD914 v2 said:

Roof aside the Spyder is the more special car.

The front and rear ends are completely different, you can have any colour you want and it has the full GT suspension.

And you are not stuck with all those horrible gold bits!

I would bet the Spyders will hold their value better too, if that's a consideration for the buyer.

But I'm with you on the roof, doesn't seem to stop it selling though!

Agree the Spyder is a more special car but the the 25 is aimed at the gts market. 

The spyder and gt4 are a more focused drive and ride and not really for use as a daily?

The gold wheels and accents are marmite but hasnt put people off

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/24/2021 at 2:55 PM, Miopyk said:

We've been told we've got a build slot but no build date as yet. We've gone Silver/Black with a red roof as I couldn't live with the red red interior.  

Congratulations on getting one, insane amounts of jealousy from me! The '25 years' is the first Boxster that I've looked at and thought 'yes, I probably would trade my RS60 Spyder in for that'. I configured one up to about £87k though and then swiftly exited the website!

On 1/24/2021 at 2:55 PM, Miopyk said:

We've been told we've got a build slot but no build date as yet. We've gone Silver/Black with a red roof as I couldn't live with the red red interior.  

How lovely. That'll turn some heads.