which low profile trolley jack

huytonman

Gents for years Ive made do with a heavy duty trolley jack bought when I owned a discovery so hardly suitable for a low slung chassis like on the Boxster and now want to get the real thing so a low profile jack. This one from Sealey looks reasonable and gets good reviews https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sealey-Trolley-Jack-2-tonne-LOW-ENTRY-Rocket-Lift-Hi-Vis-Viz-Green-2001LEHV/352309515938

Has anybody got one of these or alternative suggestions in a similar price range? I've bought some 15mm and 7mm spacers (one of the other topics) and thats the trigger for this upgrade.

Thanks Keith

Hi, I have the Halfords 2T Professional trolley jack and am very pleased with it. They are £120 which comes down to £100 with a trade card. IIRC if you don't have one you can apply on their website,no need to be associated with the motor trade.

Cheers 

https://www.halfords.com/tools/garage-workshop/axle-stands-trolley-jacks/halfords-advanced-2-tonne-low-profile-trolley-jack-657305.html

I got the Halfords Pro 3T, I also have a VW T5 to lift, I have a relative that works for them and got me a discount.

Quality piece of equipment. My previous was a very old jack and since I seem to take the wheels of fairly regularly, went for something a bit better.

24 minutes ago, hopz121 said:

Arcan one from Costco gets my vote, whatever you do don’t buy an SGS one!

I also have a 3T very low profile Arcan jack from Costco, had it years and its great. I've also got a small 2T jack from SGS as a back up and its a pile of junk, leaking already and hardly used but too old to send back.

most of the low profile jacks have a minimum saddle height of 75mm - if anyone knows of one lower than that please let me know.

i think if you go for sealey, halfords, clarke etc you can't go wrong.

buying a cheap trolley jack is like buying a cheap crash helmet!

I bought this one on a special deal back in 2019 for £36:
https://www.halfords.com/tools/garage-workshop/axle-stands-trolley-jacks/halfords-2-tonne-low-profile-hydraulic-trolley-jack-657099.html

I took it out of the box and have stored it in the garage ever since but have literally never used it. I also bought a rubber jack pad and some axle stands so I think I'm all set to go should I ever feel inclined to use them :D

Looking at the Halfords webpage it seems the jack was 'Auto Express Recommended in 2020'.

I've got the Halfords £50 one mentioned above. Fits the Boxster perfectly. Only downside is the short handle, typical of all the cheapies, which pretty much means having to kneel or crouch down to operate it. Having a dodgy back i have often looked longingly at the long handled racing type jacks which would make things easier.

21 minutes ago, moneypit said:

Another one for Arcan, not the cheapest or lightest, but a quality piece of kit.

Tjack

this one I bought 18 months ago, used regularly and still perfect, good height and low to get under even with pucks

Another Halfords vote, although I did get a warranty swap out after 10 months when the original got to a height and then just seemed not go up and hold any further.  No quibble from them and replacement is still fine 3 years.  Plenty low enough for any vehicle I've had to work on even using a rubber block.

Arcan from costco gets my vote. They normally stock a 2T capacity jack but every now and then a 3T model appears for the same price.

Well worth it.

• 8 months later...
On 1/19/2021 at 6:02 PM, huytonman said:

Gents for years Ive made do with a heavy duty trolley jack bought when I owned a discovery so hardly suitable for a low slung chassis like on the Boxster and now want to get the real thing so a low profile jack. This one from Sealey looks reasonable and gets good reviews https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sealey-Trolley-Jack-2-tonne-LOW-ENTRY-Rocket-Lift-Hi-Vis-Viz-Green-2001LEHV/352309515938

Has anybody got one of these or alternative suggestions in a similar price range? I've bought some 15mm and 7mm spacers (one of the other topics) and thats the trigger for this upgrade.

Thanks Keith

Finally got around to ordering a new low profile jack today...  

Sealey 2001 Low Entry Rocket Lift in orange

Looks decent and I know a few on here have the same model.

https://workshopping.co.uk/jacking-lifting/jacks/trolley-jacks/2-tonne-trolley-jacks-and-under/sealey-2001leor-trolley-jack-225tonne-low-entry-rocket-lift-orange

1 minute ago, rowbos said:

https://workshopping.co.uk/jacking-lifting/jacks/trolley-jacks/2-tonne-trolley-jacks-and-under/sealey-2001leor-trolley-jack-225tonne-low-entry-rocket-lift-orange

Yes I have one , decent bit of kit.

• Like 1

I had a Machine Mart 2 tonne low profile which packed up while still under warranty and so I accepted a refund.  After a good look around for a replacement I settled on the Halfords £50 item mentioned a number of times above and have no complaints so far.

Interestingly - or maybe not - close examination of a number of 2 tonne low profile options, including both the Machine Mart and Halfords version, reveals that they nearly all have the identical jacking mechanism, the only difference being the paint job and stickers.  Consequently, I suspect whatever one you buy at say the sub £70 mark, is churned out by the same Chinese factory.

On 1/19/2021 at 8:43 PM, Digidick said:

I also have a 3T very low profile Arcan jack from Costco, had it years and its great. I've also got a small 2T jack from SGS as a back up and its a pile of junk, leaking already and hardly used but too old to send back.

I have read a few posts sl*gging off the SGS jacks but my experience has been totally different I bought a 2-1/2 ton low profile jack from them about 3 years ago and I think I paid about £120 for it. I was and still am very impressed with how solid and substantial it is there is no way it will buckle or break in fact if there is a down side to it it’s the weight of the thing it’s not the easiest to move from one location to another but if you keep it in your garage all the time then the weight of it becomes a non issue. I garage my Boxster over winter and carry out preventative maintenance and any other work needing done and use the jack all the time with zero issues. I hope I haven’t given it the kiss of death now 😂😂

2 hours ago, Radish said:

I had a Machine Mart 2 tonne low profile which packed up while still under warranty and so I accepted a refund.  After a good look around for a replacement I settled on the Halfords £50 item mentioned a number of times above and have no complaints so far.

Interestingly - or maybe not - close examination of a number of 2 tonne low profile options, including both the Machine Mart and Halfords version, reveals that they nearly all have the identical jacking mechanism, the only difference being the paint job and stickers.  Consequently, I suspect whatever one you buy at say the sub £70 mark, is churned out by the same Chinese factory.

They only really seem to differ once you go to the two cylinder models spending £120+.

On 10/13/2021 at 9:43 PM, rowbos said:

+1 for Sealey Rocket Jacks.

I paid £132 for a 3 tonne after a seal on my Clarke jack started to fail and slowly descend. Incredible lift height and the nylon wheels are actually big and wide enough to allow the jack to move when lifting a load!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/332826706580

It's big, easy to use, stable and well worth the money.