Still hankering for a 718 Spyder

MH82

I think you may struggle to get an allocation for a new one unless you have a special relationship with an OPC - only 50 registered in the UK in last 2020 (130 or so on total v almost double that in GT4) so for whatever reason they are in very short supply.  Maybe to do with shortage of engines given the GTS or making more money elsewhere or the dreaded fleet emissions given lower than expected sales of hybrids and Taycans?  Feedback on forums is that you can’t get a GTS for delivery in 2021 now so something happening.

Pre-announcement I was seriously considering changing but even with a pristine, highly specced 981 version to trade and 20+ years Porsche ownership OPCs basically laughed at me.  As it turns out I wouldn’t have changed anyway - I don’t like the extra plastic bits on the new one, the epic sound has been seriously impacted by the gpf and start/stop and cylinder deactivation don’t belong on a sports car IMO!  Don’t track my car either so wouldn’t benefit from PASM or the GT4 like suspension - I actually find the ride of my car to be the best of any Porsche I’ve owned.

Would have been nice to spec another car from new but TBH it would have ended up being a clone of what I have anyway.

I’m not aware of many 981 owners who’ve upgraded - would require a pretty big cost to change the 981 version was a comparative bargain.

Big Spyder thread on PCGB you’ll get some 718 owner feedback there I think.  Good luck with your purchase.

I had a mate who had one last year.......looks are fantastic but I still could not do with the faff for the roof.......also they do not sound as good as they used to.......not sure if an aftermarket exhaust would fix that but its due to emissions .....also risks warranty........it was certainly not the best sounding Porsche at our local meets by far but one of the best looking 😉

I think they look great roof down, which it would be most of the time for me as a weekend fair weather toy.

One of the few cars that would tempt me out of my current 992...

Roof faff or not!

Must resist, must resist... .

Edited by RBD914 v2

• 2 years later...
On 1/22/2021 at 8:53 PM, Jonttt said:

I had a mate who had one last year.......looks are fantastic but I still could not do with the faff for the roof.......also they do not sound as good as they used to.......not sure if an aftermarket exhaust would fix that but its due to emissions .....also risks warranty........it was certainly not the best sounding Porsche at our local meets by far but one of the best looking 😉

I think you only saw it once 😂