What should a standard exhaust tip look like on a 2012 981S?

smartin

Not sure whether to post this here or in the Exhaust and Wheels area, but thought I might get more 981 specific answers here.

Although based on recent exhaust topic in this section, it seems that nobody in their right mind would spec a 981 without the PSE 🙂 Well, the original owner of mine did and I haven't done anything to change that, either!

Although I have kept the bodywork and wheels nice and shiny, I've neglected the exhaust tips and they are a horrible, sooty black 😞  I don't remember them standing out as partcularly shiny when I bought it from an Independent just over 2 years ago.

So, before I go destroying them with cleaning products and polishes what should they look like - shiny or satin metal finish? Chrome or Stainless Steel? I did start cleaning the very ends of the tips gently with an old wheel brush and car shampoo and did begin to see metal!

Any advice on getting them back to looking more like new appreciated. Once there, I promise to maintain them better 😁

14 hours ago, RickLS7 said:

They aren't easy to clean. 

One thing I miss about the 986 are the removable tips, so much easier to do a good job.

Maybe why the original owner nor the selling dealer made the effort to do it in the first place 😁

20 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

Sure they aren’t painted black? It was an option. 

No, not sure! But with minimal washing I did begin to see a bit of more shiny metal surface at the very end of the tips.

Like another poster mentioned, I will try a less visible area first and see what lies beneath 😲

On 1/27/2021 at 10:46 AM, smartin said:

Any advice on getting them back to looking more like new appreciated. Once there, I promise to maintain them

I wouldn’t bother.  They’re going to get dirty again anyway........😬

On 29/01/2021 at 8:45 PM, noggieboxa said:

I wouldn’t bother.  They’re going to get dirty again anyway........😬

Well that's brought the whole car cleaning products industry to its knees then, why clean anything anymore😁

I'm with Kev and Stuart on this. Love the car clean but the exhausts are impossible to keep clean, much sootier than other cars I've had, don't look great when cleaned anyway, and look pretty much like "black" tips when so dirty.

2 hours ago, BarrySt said:

I'm with Kev and Stuart on this. Love the car clean but the exhausts are impossible to keep clean, much sootier than other cars I've had, don't look great when cleaned anyway, and look pretty much like "black" tips when so dirty.

yeah retrospectively wish I'd just specced black to start with

17 minutes ago, daz05 said:

I'm close to painting mine.

Me too, if they were simple to remove, would have done it by now but as far as I can tell, the back boxes need to be free to move in order to get it off.

Unless anyone knows of a simpler way?

they are made of stainless steel - I would recommend fine wire wool to get the soot off

Then a polish of your choice to make them shine....until you dive 2 miles down the road that is.

16 hours ago, Rooose said:

Me too, if they were simple to remove, would have done it by now but as far as I can tell, the back boxes need to be free to move in order to get it off.

Unless anyone knows of a simpler way?

I'll have a look at mine when I get 5 mins.  Doesn't look too difficult will be some play to wriggle it out.

30 minutes ago, daz05 said:

I'll have a look at mine when I get 5 mins.  Doesn't look too difficult will be some play to wriggle it out.

Thanks, would be interested to know. I have loosened mine to change the corroded nuts on the clamps and couldn't see how to remove it from there without moving a backbox to the side.

Let me know what you find!

On 2/2/2021 at 6:03 PM, Skin said:

SOUL in the USA do some lovely black chrome tipsimage.jpeg.186714d898d83fe405df9f9ef2a42edf.jpeg

as do Cargraphics. Or polished chrome. The included X-pipe alone is worth the purchase just for the improvement in exhaust sound.
Bought mine from https://www.scuderiacarparts.com/ here in the UK.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/6/2021 at 12:29 AM, drago.d said:

as do Cargraphics. Or polished chrome. The included X-pipe alone is worth the purchase just for the improvement in exhaust sound.
Bought mine from https://www.scuderiacarparts.com/ here in the UK.

they look good, shame no prices on the website, i have sent a enquiry to ask how much they are

Why is it they always look so sooty, most Petrol cars exhausts look clean or at the worst a light Tan colour. Perhaps its due to the short distance between engine and exhaust tips. Starting to sound a bit nerdish now , so ill stop. 

Archived