Interim oil change

alank

11 minutes ago, alank said:

I am on about 2500 miles since service last march,in the 981,  what are people's thoughts about having an interim oil service with such small mileage this march, cheers alan

I do mine every year regardless of mileage, my annual Boxster mileage is 2500 or so recently...

I also do yearly, but I do do it myself, it’s easy enough (if you’ve a means of getting under the car) and will cost under £100 getting the parts and oil yourself.  

Do I think it’s necessary? No not really, synthetic oils don’t break down easily and Mobil have shown decent engine protection after 100k+ miles and several years, so if you don’t fancy it then don’t worry it will be fine.

I think 2 years between oil changes is too long, regardless of mileage.  I had a full scheduled service at an independent Porsche garage (TWG Motorsport in Peterborough) just after I bought my car, then at the next MOT with my local place I got them to do an interim oil and filter change with Mobil 1 at the same time.  Not a massive cost in the grand scheme of things, and to be honest I don't think I could have done it much cheaper if I did it myself.  Oh, and yes, it passed first time with no advisories :lol:

23 minutes ago, Davey P said:

I think 2 years between oil changes is too long, regardless of mileage.  I had a full scheduled service at an independent Porsche garage (TWG Motorsport in Peterborough) just after I bought my car, then at the next MOT with my local place I got them to do an interim oil and filter change with Mobil 1 at the same time.  Not a massive cost in the grand scheme of things, and to be honest I don't think I could have done it much cheaper if I did it myself.  Oh, and yes, it passed first time with no advisories :lol:

Or just fix it by buying a Cayman before the next interval ? 🤣

Some cars i was looking at hadnt had its First oil change till nearing high teens before first service. That i think is bad, the first oil change is important and i think should be  way before that. I gave those ones a miss.

11 minutes ago, Greenman said:

Not with Mobil1 and a genuine Porsche filter they won’t.

My MOT garage charged £99.50 for the oil (Mobil 1 0W40, 2 x 5 litres), and I thought that was quite expensive until I looked at the price in Halfords, just out of interest... turns out that's cheaper than I could have bought it myself :lol:  And they gave me the 2 litres that was left over for top ups - Although it hasn't used any oil yet, so that isn't likely to be needed.  The filter was 13 quid, but I forgot to ask if that was an original Porsche part or not.  The total for an MOT and oil/filter change was £231.87, including £35+VAT labour, so I didn't think that was too bad.

1 hour ago, Davey P said:

filter was 13 quid

It was likely a Mahle which whilst not Porsche branded they are an oem and it’s  basically the same product..  5 litres of a Mobil 1 is available for £32 from Costco (cheaper if on offer about once a year).

• 1 month later...
On 1/29/2021 at 1:12 PM, Greenman said:

5 litres of a Mobil 1 is available for £32 from Costco (cheaper if on offer about once a year).

But you'd expect a garage to charge corkage. Davey's deal seems reasonable.

Essential, definitely not but nice to have. With that mileage I'm not sure I would bother unless it was being driven very hard as others have said the oil should be lasting the 24 months as per the recommended interval.

Archived