Techno brace stabaliser bar

03slatt

Try here, looks to cost about a tenner.

https://www.1stchoicemetals.co.uk/

I think cutting the bar will be the hard part unless you have access to some engineering kit. Looking at the Pedro's garage video, need a slot for the bolt head and the thinner bit at each end.

http://www.pedrosgarage.com/TechnoBrace.mov

Edited by andygo

44 minutes ago, andygo said:

Try here, looks to cost about a tenner.

https://www.1stchoicemetals.co.uk/

I think cutting the bar will be the hard part unless you have access to some engineering kit. Looking at the Pedro's garage video, need a slot for the bolt head and the thinner bit at each end.

http://www.pedrosgarage.com/TechnoBrace.mov

I have pillar drills and angle grinders but you could easily do this with a hacksaw. Aluminium is reasonable soft. 

The ally I linked to is quite hard I believe.

I think the way to do the ends of the bar would be to do several vertical cuts and then do the horizontal slice a bit at at time to prevent the hacksaw wandering off too far.

Quite fancy a go at a tenner. I'd order a length longer than I needed in case the first one went wrong I'd at least have a chance to redo after cutting the first attempt off!  :)

1 minute ago, 03slatt said:

600mm is enough, no need to cut the grooves as you can get a spanner in at the top 

I think having the bolt head fit into an exact size slot would provide more positive lateral location which, after all, is the purpose of the mod.

10 minutes ago, bally4563 said:

Is that not what I’m offering?🤔

Yes but that the problem with this mod, it's so simple to do relatively. A bit like woodworking at home. If you haven't got the saw then the timber merchant will cut for you.

A bit different but I 'made' some heatproof /hot plate type mats for the kitchen. Polished on one side and brushed the other. The metal came like that from the eBay seller and they cut it to the size I wanted, burred the edges and rounded the corners. My making was all of sticking some foam pads underneath 🤣 but everybody seems to love them. 

2 hours ago, edc said:

Yes but that the problem with this mod, it's so simple to do relatively. A bit like woodworking at home. If you haven't got the saw then the timber merchant will cut for you.

A bit different but I 'made' some heatproof /hot plate type mats for the kitchen. Polished on one side and brushed the other. The metal came like that from the eBay seller and they cut it to the size I wanted, burred the edges and rounded the corners. My making was all of sticking some foam pads underneath 🤣 but everybody seems to love them. 

It would be possible to rough out something with basic tools, however even as someone fairly handy on the tools myself, when it comes to an item like this I'd prefer to have it done on the correct machine for the job as I don't think my efforts would meet the standard I would want.  So I have taken up @bally4563's offer just like others liked you hot plate mats rather than making them themselves.

27 minutes ago, Digidick said:

I’m still waiting to see pictures of the creations being offered on here. It’s all right saying £50-£60 but for what? 

i've ordered a bar from Bally.

it'll be a length of material, cut to length, with some slots machined into it and some holes drilled.

considering I'd make a hash of it, plus I don't really have the time or energy to get the bits and make one, £60 is just fine for me.

@bally4563more than happy for you to post photos of the one you're making for me, if you wish.

cheers,

ian b

13 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

As given earlier in the tread, this thread:

Installed a home made lower brace - 987 - www.BoXa.net 

Think we were after pics of one that’s been made by the guys before install.

For those that want pics of it installed in think there’s better ones on Pedros garage 😁

In truth, this does not really need to be a beautifully made part. Provided that the holes are in the right place, the rest of it doesn't matter (even the recesses are not strictly necessary).

From the factory there is no reinforcement here (just the alumnium plate thing). All this is doing is adding some additional bracing. A rusty piece of steel would do the job, it is simply that a piece of aluminium bar is lighter and nicer to work with.

If you can drill holes accurately through a 20mm piece of aluminium, you can make one of these. If you can't, don't have the tools, or simply cannot be bothered, the £50-£60 @bally4563is charging seems entirely reasonable given that he has to buy the material, supply bolts, do the drilling/cutting (which is at least an hour per bar) and then send them out. Given the quantities involved, and assuming a modest £20 per hour labour charge (which is cheaper than most garages or machine shops), £50-60 sounds pretty fair and is probably only netting a £5 profit. 

I made my own as others have done but I already had the tools and the knowledge to do so. If I didn't, I would happily have paid £50-60 quid for somebody else to do it for me.

Edited by Lennym1984
  • Like 1