Exhaust flange nut/bolt replacement

alank

Comparing then £882 inc VAT from the OPC, I contacted 3 reputable Indies local to me in Bucks. Two quoted £250 and the other £430. Going to slot it in with one of them at £250 and put the £632 I saved towards the 3 year warranty extension I just bought.

In my experience the OPC will ignore them, as well as the gasket blowing too.

They managed to replace the faulty active mount, but ignored the visibly blowing gasket next to it.  Fortunately for me I was in to Revolution for a first service the next week - they replaced the gasket and changed out all the bolts to stainless. 

If you are going to get this done (Or do it yourself - It is not that hard) either as a preventative step, or because they failed. Avoid if at all possible using stainless nut & bolts together, they suffer badly with galling when exposed to heat cycles - Stainless bolts with brass manifold nuts is the way to go, or BZP steel nut & bolts, plenty of ceramic anti seize grease and then replace every 12-18months before they get too crusty.    

Dremel cutting disk to remove what's left of the nuts (Cut parallel to the stud, so as to leave the stud intact). Then using a socket on the Cat side to allow you to push the stud thru, using a bit various spacers, a decent sized G clamp and penetrating oil and a bit of patience you can push the old studs out.

TBH I made up a tool for a Z4 I had to do the pressing out job, but the above still applies - Would want to push the studs out anyday, rather than burn then out, bit to close to the chassis/undersealing for my liking.

Stu.

• 1 month later...