Spyder has arrived

AndyI1

Having read Spyderman's recent post, this post feels a bit like "London Buses." I found myself with a completely unexpected opportunity to order a Spyder last August. Having seen that the normal 'limited availability' label alongside the Spyder on Porsche's website was missing, I made a speculative call to my local OPC at Wilmslow to check availability. I discovered that a new dealership was opening nearby at Stockport, that the sales exec. I was speaking to was relocating there and that as a new dealership, Stockport had been allocated a Spyder. I guessed it was a chance I was unlikely to get again and so took the plunge. It does show that it is possible to get one of these cars without a big Porsche spend history, but I'm the first to admit you have to be a bit lucky with your timing!

The people I dealt with at Stockport were fabulous. The car arrived during the lockdown in November but the guys there made a video of the car going through its preparation including it being unloaded from the transporter on arrival. A really nice touch. Here's a few of the pictures.

1888196653_Delivery3-min.thumb.jpg.0acb3ba07a3ced928e1b4ba3a9c2c08b.jpg

IMG_0090-min.thumb.jpg.ca8abb8aaee1d02b32aab8ba4c3eb4c0.jpgIMG_0102-min.thumb.jpg.baaa6ff0a5aebbc058c7031cee9f64e7.jpg215919769_Delivery8-min.jpg.c390cf5559549a8d02235fb83bcfd21d.jpg794573333_Delivery11-min.jpg.f44a595ee8ae994109834412f5f6ae63.jpg

DB3C4F42-EAB0-40F7-A28F-8BB39F537DBE-min.jpeg

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

I maintain that this is a practical and reliable F355.

Certainly more like a F355 than a London Bus 😀 and if it turns out to be as reliable as my previous 2 Boxsters I'll be very happy.

8 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

I maintain that this is a practical and reliable F355.

All Porsches are practical and reliable (bar Cheddar Bob's one apparently).

BTW, lovely car. :wub:

• Haha 1

and bar AndyMac's lime gold one, IIRC...

You know I try to stand up for the model.  I quickly searched for stats comparisons, and one review was "yes, 80k on just a Boxster.  Now let me tell you about one of the best cars I have ever driven - this Boxster."  No petrolhead complains about the F355, so thought I'd put this up where it should be :) 

When I was younger for along time I believed that if I didn't own a Ferarri at some point my life would be somehow incomplete. If it came to choosing a 355 or that Spyder it would take about a millisecond to choose the Porsche.

GT silver too. Droooooool. Also I love contrast stitching. Having that on mine......😉

Edited by JonSta

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the kind comments. The red contrast stitching certainly works a treat.

When I've done a few more miles I'll post some initial impressions of the driving experience.

Beautiful car and GT Silver really show off the lines; I may be biased though!  The contrast stitching add a little something and the red door pulls look great with it too.  I bought my C4S from OPC Wilmslow and found them very pleasant to deal with; Stockport is a little further but sounds like you've had a good experience with them which is useful to know.  What have you had previously if you don't mind me asking?

On 3/12/2021 at 8:11 AM, Megatron said:

Beautiful car and GT Silver really show off the lines; I may be biased though!  The contrast stitching add a little something and the red door pulls look great with it too.  I bought my C4S from OPC Wilmslow and found them very pleasant to deal with; Stockport is a little further but sounds like you've had a good experience with them which is useful to know.  What have you had previously if you don't mind me asking?

Not a bad bias to have!

I started off with a Gen 2 987S which I had for 7 years and then a 981S before the unexpected opportunity to order the Spyder came along. All three have been manuals. Not too long to go now to get some good roof down weather........enjoy your Spyder.

We almost have twins. I got out in mine for a run today and although it has only done 88 miles and has to be under 4k revs you can feel it is going to be spectacular when run-in. I also kept the 987 for the rare days it may possibly rain in Scotland and need a quick hood.😀

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, lawrencequinn said:

We almost have twins. I got out in mine for a run today and although it has only done 88 miles and has to be under 4k revs you can feel it is going to be spectacular when run-in. I also kept the 987 for the rare days it may possibly rain in Scotland and need a quick hood.😀

A surfeit of excellence. Lucky chap.

On 3/16/2021 at 1:48 PM, lawrencequinn said:

It's certainly proving to be a test of willpower keeping within the 4k run in rev limit.........and i haven't been entirely successful.  You get to 4k revs and can just feel there's so much more to come. It's intoxicating!! Have you posted any pictures of your car. It would be good to see a bit more about it.